• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida, Palm Beach County, little brown & white bird ID plz (1 Viewer)

Glad I could help. I use the "new posts" feature in the upper right-hand corner, so I often see new posts pretty fast. Phoebes are one of those fairly nondescript little birds that often puzzle birding beginners. One thing to look for is the characteristic tail wagging.

Cheers,
Jim

Hey sososleepy - some nice pics! As Jim verified for you, your bird in question is an Eastern Phoebe.

I just wanted to give you some ID notes on a few shots in your gallery:

Your "owl" looks to be one of the Screech-Owls... seeing as the thread is entitled "Florida," I guess Eastern? Did you take the photos there? If not, where? And when? Also, heads up, the audio file doesn't work.

Your "ibis" is a White Ibis.

Your "Mourning Dove" is actually a White-winged Dove, not a Mourning.

(If you want to get technical, "peacock" is the male subsidiary name for Common Peafowl, haha)

Anyone wanna follow me out on a limb and question those two Anas ducks (for now I'm assuming Florida as location)?

Left one first. That's a MIGHTY yellow bill to my eye... no American Black Duck will show that yellow. The crown seems too dark for Mottled, although body feathers seem warmish (see attached). My money's either on male Mottled (field marks would fall into place... except dark crown! and just doesn't seem all that buffy...), or a male Mallard x American Black Duck, either mid-molting out of drake plumage (hence no trace of drake plumage itself, but bill still in full color), or it could be a cross-back to American Black that held the feature of Mallard's yellow bill? Sososleepy, date info would be useful on this photo.

Right duck... ORANGE bill. Again, not American Black Duck's expected color. But... no dark saddle as expected on female Mallards and Mottleds. C'est bizarre. Body feathers seem out of American Black range, too. THIS crown IS kinda pale though... could it be a Mottled? Interested to hear other opinions.

Attachments

• anasduck.jpg
    anasduck.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 200
  • anasduck2.jpg
    anasduck2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Right duck... ORANGE bill. Again, not American Black Duck's expected color. But... no dark saddle as expected on female Mallards and Mottleds. C'est bizarre. Body feathers seem out of American Black range, too. THIS crown IS kinda pale though... could it be a Mottled? Interested to hear other opinions.

I also focused in on the ducks when I went to sosleepy's website. I don't have any books with me right now but I think they are both Mottled Ducks. They both show a black 'nail' (for lack of a better term) at the lower base of the bill, which is characteristic of Mottled Duck and should not be shown by Am. Black Duck.

I agree with Alex, these are typical Mottled Ducks. Also, American Black Ducks are quite rare in Palm Beach County.

Wow, thanks for all the information everyone!

J. Moore, I didn't see my Phoebe wag its tail, but I'll look for that the next time I see it. I couldn't get very close to it, and it's such a small bird... perhaps I'll be able to see it through the camera.

AlexC, yes, the owl and all of my birds are in Palm Beach, and possibly Broward counties in South East Florida. The Owl visits my yard sometimes, but is very people and camera shy. Thanks, I'll check the sound - it was a dark video, but the audio should still work, I wonder what happened. I'll update with your ID's and credit you with them. The two ducks landed side by side in the lake the day before yesterday; I'll put up a bigger picture of both of them and post when I do so after I get back home this evening - I'd do it now but I have to be somewhere shortly:(

Thanks again for all of your answers; I'm out of new butterflies and the birds are getting just as interesting!

Hi sososleepy,

I've gone the opposite way! I started out as a birder first, but have become more interested in butterflies lately. (I've got a lot of unidentified skippers that I really should look at one of these days!) At least the birds are with us year round. I have to wait a while longer before the butterflies come out.

Good luck with the birding!

Any idea what this one is?

Thanks again everyone! I've started my updates, but still have some more work to do. I made a page with the bigger pix of the Mottled Ducks: http://butterflies.heuristron.net/others/MottledDuck.html

Gillian, I checked your site for your skippers, but didn't find any butterflies that were unidentified, or for that matter, any skippers.... I'm still struggling with my local skippers, so I doubt if I could ID yours anyway, but just in case, where are they?

I uploaded a picture of a bird I always see standing on the sprinkler pipe floats in the lakes down here... I hope it displays... does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 030808 220.jpg
    030808 220.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 179
or this one?

Sorry, this one was too far away and the wind was blowing, but here it is in case someone knows what it is too... Oh, both of those pix were this morning.

Attachments

• 030808 229.jpg
    030808 229.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 184
WOOT! I just looked up Double-crested Cormorants, and I'm thinking both of them; I'd never have thought that because they look so different. This is getting fun! Thanks Hotspur. I've noticed these birds for years, but never knew what they were, and until I got this camera, was never able to get a good enough look to even think about trying to find out. This is FUN!

WOOT! I just looked up Double-crested Cormorants, and I'm thinking both of them; I'd never have thought that because they look so different. This is getting fun! Thanks Hotspur. I've noticed these birds for years, but never knew what they were, and until I got this camera, was never able to get a good enough look to even think about trying to find out. This is FUN!

Glad you're having a blast learning about these birds! (I have a friend who has a saying, "Birding: contagious, terminal." - because you'll do it until you die! 8-P)

Yup, you're right - they're both Double-crested. They look different because they're different ages. Your first one is a 1st year, young bird - mostly yellow/orange bill, paler neck, breast and general plumage. Your second one is an adult - mostly all black plumage, grayish bill with an orange base.

Lots more birds!!!!!!

Alex, it might be terminal; I posted this (early afternoon, late morning? really didn't look at the clock lol, but shortly after my last post) and ran out with two memory sticks and a full camera battery to see what brids I could find. There's a swampy marsh nearby where I know the big ones are, so I went there. I got back to the car about an hour after my husband and kids did. Do you birders think it was a hint that they were in the car with the high beams on pointed down the path I was on when I got back, in evening, but still very very bright, daylight? Yup; terminal (giggle.) So, here's what I found. Most of them I've glanced at on the web (while waiting FOREVER for the pix to copy to external drive that DIED mid way through which I cooled (overheated drive) with vac cleaner (creative? at least it worked...), but the one that looks like a morehen but it's all sorts of bright colors... what's that one????? ... and feel free to ID any others; I'd love to know if what I think they are is what they are!!!

AAAh, there's a five file max. OUCH
well, I'll do another post then.

Attachments

• 030908 004.jpg
    030908 004.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 030908 013.jpg
    030908 013.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 030908 068.jpg
    030908 068.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 030908 110.jpg
    030908 110.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 030908 143.jpg
    030908 143.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 178
post 2 of terminal birding

It had a 5 pix limit, so here' s 2 of 3 of todays birds:)

Attachments

• 030908 268.jpg
    030908 268.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 030908 308.jpg
    030908 308.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 030908 352.jpg
    030908 352.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 030908 355.jpg
    030908 355.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 030908 393.jpg
    030908 393.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 166
and thanks again

I'm absolutely done for the day, so I'll post the big pix on my site over the next week or two or three or... But I HAD to share what you folks helped to start! The black one is a Grackle, no clue if I spelled that right... and I've found the herons and a few others, but I still HAD to share what I found today. The very best part was when I was getting the wing spread pix of the Double-crested Cormorant Hotspur ID'd today, and I remembered the name when other people on the trail asked what bird it was!!! I told them I learned it today on the birdforum dot net discussion and encouraged them to visit; it was SO fun!!! Thanks all.

Attachments

• 030908 414.jpg
    030908 414.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 030908 423.jpg
    030908 423.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 030908 460.jpg
    030908 460.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 163
In order:

Great Blue Heron
Limpkin
Snowy Egret
Tricolored Heron
White Ibis

Common Moorhen
Great Egret
Blue-winged Teal
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron

I'd recommending investing in a field guide so you can learn even faster by researching the birds yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back