• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cranberry?/Scotland (1 Viewer)

Tree Sparrow

Is this some sort of cranberry? Photo taken today on moorland.

Ooops, very nearly forgot to attach the link!

DSC_0027.jpg

TIA

TS

I think that's cowberry. Vaccinium vitis-idaea.. a close relative... and edible!

(the poster takes no responsibility if I'm wrong and you poison yourself!)

Last edited:
I think that's cowberry. Vaccinium vitis-ideaea.. a close relative... and edible!

(the poster takes no responsibility if I'm wrong and you poison yourself!)

Thanks Xenospiza and Quercus. I've just been googling it and it is edible...........which is lucky seeing as I ate a couple. I really should have checked before eating them lol.

TS

I agree that this is cowberry, a common and widespread plant in Scottish moorland and forests, particularly where there is some shade from trees or tall heather.

However, I think that it is often known as cranberry colloquially in Scotland, because the fruit is similar and is used in the same way as true cranberries Vaccinium oxycoccus (which are much less common and generally found on peat bogs).

The cowberry is also sometimes called the Lingonberry, which will be a familiar name to anyone who has eaten in an Ikea restaurant!

I agree that this is cowberry, a common and widespread plant in Scottish moorland and forests, particularly where there is some shade from trees or tall heather.

However, I think that it is often known as cranberry colloquially in Scotland, because the fruit is similar and is used in the same way as true cranberries Vaccinium oxycoccus (which are much less common and generally found on peat bogs).

The cowberry is also sometimes called the Lingonberry, which will be a familiar name to anyone who has eaten in an Ikea restaurant!

I have rather a good recipe for venison with cranberries but yet again I think I'd rather leave these for the birds and I'll just have to buy some cranberries lol.

I did see some in longer heather but they were more profuse, or perhaps just easier to see, where the heather had been burned off.

I've never even been to Ikea, let alone their restaurants lol.

TS

I have rather a good recipe for venison with cranberries but yet again I think I'd rather leave these for the birds and I'll just have to buy some cranberries lol.

I think the Cranberry that is used in Cranberry sauce is a difference species to that found in the UK. I think it may be of North American origin.

I think the Cranberry that is used in Cranberry sauce is a difference species to that found in the UK. I think it may be of North American origin.

When I was googling it did say that they could be used in cooking in the same way as "proper cranberries". In some ways it would seem better to use them with local venison than to buy them in but I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to taking away what the local birds will eat. I'm sure the red and black grouse will appreciate them being left.

TS

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back