• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Woodpecker in the UK (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

The topic of the status of the Black Woodpecker in the UK has come up on another thread (on Middle-spotted Woodpecker) but this intriguing topic surely deserves a thread of its own. On that thread Jurek commented “Wasn't also Black Woodpeckers reported from Britain? I am (from European perspective) quite surprised why that one can create a confusion - either it is or is not”.

A little digging reveals that back in 1959 Richard Fitter wrote a paper on this topic (unfortunately for the “Bulletin of the BOC” which is not widely available). Apparently, in this article RF unearthed 82 records (!) of which he considered that there was ‘no reason to reject’ 9 ‘general statements’ (whatever that means), 17 specimens and 37 sight records. He goes on to list 7 ‘unassailable’ reports – single specimens from Dorset, Wilts & Yorkshire and four sight records (Herts, Brecon, Notts & Cheshire). It should also be noted that, according to a later paper on melanism, there appears to be no record of a fully melanistic Green Woodpecker (and only one of a partially melanistic bird). This sounds quite convincing, but a little research I did a few years back on the English status of Crested Tit convinced me that many Victorian records (which most of these are) are a little ‘soft’. Trading in skins was widespread, labels too easily switched (by accident or design) and the word of a ‘gentleman’ too readily accepted.

My scepticism is partially based on what has, or rather hasn’t, happened, since the Victorian/Edwardian hay day of collecting and the ‘what’s hit is history’ mentality. At a time when you would expect more records, due to the species huge expansion westward (they now breed on the Channel coast) and the increasing army of competent observers, reports have declined to a dribble. There may have been some I’ve missed, but I’ve been able to trace the following reports –
Sept 1974 – Two Invinghoe, Bucks
July 1982 – Frensham, Surrey
July 1984 – Ashurst, Hants
May 1987 – Somerset
December 1995 – Horsham Surrey
March 1994 – Benacre, Suffolk
1997 November – Devon

Of these the only one that appears to have been regarded to have much merit was that of a bird flying in-off at Benacre. I have a gut feeling (quite unsubstantiated by any facts!) that most other records came from ‘garden birders’ rather than experienced observers. I suspect the problem is that too many inexperienced observers have access to those books on ‘British birds’ that also include a smattering of European species.

It would be interesting to hear from other readers who can put more flesh on the bones of these previous reports. Incidentally, research on the continent suggests that we have the ‘wrong kind of ant’ in the UK so the species, whilst it may one day visit us, is unlikely to become an established part of our avifauna,

My scepticism is partially based on...

Mine would be based on the fact that Black Woodpeckers are, by and large, actually very easy to locate, are very vocal and leave distinctive tell-tale signs in trees. Additionally, once in an area, tend to be rather sedentary.

It seems a little odd that for all the claims of Black Woodpecker, none have been tracked down by others, ever seen again or verified.

It should also be noted that, according to a later paper on melanism, there appears to be no record of a fully melanistic Green Woodpecker

Silhouetted Green Woodpeckers on the other hand, both in fight and perched, could be expected with reasonable regularity - thus to be black does not mean to be Black, nor to be melanistic.

However, this Green Woodpecker that visited my aunt's Shropshire garden does appear somewhat darker than usual, do you not think?

Attachments

• Black Woodpecker window.jpg
    Black Woodpecker window.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 630
I'd agree with you that it appears odd that none of the birds seem to have hung around to be seen by others. However, as I recall the only the Benacre report was widely circulated at the time and a birding coming "in-off" (as was reported I think) may well not hang around. Your point about silhouetting is, of course, a crucial one,

I remember those 80's reports of black woodies...all came to nowt...obviously...but there must be a reasonable chance of one crossing the channel at some point...[probably Dover]...we can but hope!

ps...'Jos'....excellent photo of the little known dark sub-species of green woodpecker...they are not often seen coz they lurk down chimneys..[picus chimneypotus]...not to be confused with Bright green Woodpecker or Greenish Woodpecker...which are best separated by distinctive di-or tri-syllabic 'woffling' calls....;)

Black Woodpecker must be one of the archetypal "non-birders birds": once someone has heard of it, they'll probably start seeing it. There was even one on the Archers a few years ago, according to George the gamekeeper.

Last edited:
To back up what Jos says there was a note in British Birds some years back (sorry no time to look up the reference) about how easily a backlit or silhouetted Green Woodpecker can look "Black".

To back up what Jos says there was a note in British Birds some years back (sorry no time to look up the reference) about how easily a backlit or silhouetted Green Woodpecker can look "Black".

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that - it was a note (British Birds 93:3, 144-148) by JTR Sharock, no less, describing how he saw a Green woodpecker silhouetted in his garden appearing entirley black. It's worth quoting the following observation from the note in full " ..... if I had been an ordinary, observant, interested member of the general public – I would have sworn that the bird (1) was wholly black, (2) except for a bright red crown, and (3) was definitely a woodpecker. He was also fortunate to have a pair of binoculars at hand,

I find it hard to believe that an ordinary, observant member of the public would not have noticed before, the effect of 'things' tending to look 'a bit darker' when viewed against the sun....but then again......:smoke:.....

ps....i reckon the best way to see a black woodpecker in UK is to go out at night and rattle a few trees....;)

I'm going on memory here because I don't have it to hand but I think according to Birds of Surrey, the 1982 Frensham bird was considered to have probably been a melanistic Green Woodpecker. I also recall an update on Fitter's 1959 paper in Birding World, I think in 1992.

I thought that Black Woodpecker was spreading westwards in Europe, hence the irony - as the birds have got closer, reports have got less frequent. Are they still coming our way?

I find it hard to believe that an ordinary, observant member of the public would not have noticed before, the effect of 'things' tending to look 'a bit darker' when viewed against the sun

Doesn't have to be against the sun though, a dull day a large woodpecker against a trunk, marginally backlit. Closest thing in bird book as likely to be Black as Green

Doesn't have to be against the sun though, a dull day a large woodpecker against a trunk, marginally backlit. Closest thing in bird book as likely to be Black as Green

True enuff i suppose....! I can see how some mistakes are made....[i wonder what the lighting conditions were like with them 80's reports of uk black woodpecker]...can't all be 'back-lit'...can they...? I don't know...obviously....

ps...never heard any details whatsoever during 'that time'...on 'apparent' observations...it all became a bit of a joke really, as i recall....'oh no...not another rumor of black woodpecker'.....[bit like a certain falcon species at present]....

The topic of the status of the Black Woodpecker in the UK has come up on another thread (on Middle-spotted Woodpecker) but this intriguing topic surely deserves a thread of its own. On that thread Jurek commented “Wasn't also Black Woodpeckers reported from Britain? I am (from European perspective) quite surprised why that one can create a confusion - either it is or is not”.

A little digging reveals that back in 1959 Richard Fitter wrote a paper on this topic (unfortunately for the “Bulletin of the BOC” which is not widely available). Apparently, in this article RF unearthed 82 records (!) of which he considered that there was ‘no reason to reject’ 9 ‘general statements’ (whatever that means), 17 specimens and 37 sight records. He goes on to list 7 ‘unassailable’ reports – single specimens from Dorset, Wilts & Yorkshire and four sight records (Herts, Brecon, Notts & Cheshire).

John

I remember a few of those old records in the 1990's but having extensively studied the history of birds in cheshire, I don't recall any records. If you have any further details I would be grateful if you could PM me them.

CB

Pete,

I agree, having seen hundreds of BW I cannot imagine ever confusing it with a GW irrespective of the light.

regards
Merlin

But remember there is likelyhood that many of these Black Woodpeckers will have been reported by non-birders or at least birders with little or no experience of the species. If you have never seen Black Woodpecker, size is hardly relevant - for a novice, Green Woodpecker is also large.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back