• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Law Change On Hunting in Italy (1 Viewer)

Odonate

Hi everyone

Not sure that this has been publicised here.

A new law has been proposed in Italy that would allow the dates for the hunting season to be decided regionally. This could result in particular regions that have pro-hunting interests deciding the hunting season according to local pressure by hunters and could be extended from 1st September - 31st January to 1st August - 28th February with obvious consequeces to migrants. Those who might want to put pressure on the vote can contact the following Italian politicians who have declared themselves against the new law (On. means Honorable):

On. Catanoso [email protected]
On. Giammanco [email protected]
On. Ceccacci [email protected]
On. Mannucci [email protected]
On. Prestigiacomo [email protected]
On. Brambilla [email protected]
On. Ronchi [email protected]

You may want to use the following text. Please sign with your name and town/country of residence:

Egregio Onorevole

Mi rivolgo a Lei affinche' intervenga immediatamente e impedisca l'approvazione dell'articolo 38 della Legge Comunitaria che prevede la cancellazione degli attuali limiti massimi della stagione venatoria e quindi permettera' l'estensione della caccia oltre i gia' lunghi 5 mesi attuali. Questa legge, se verra' approvata, sara' un ulteriore infrazione di quelle che sono le leggi europee sulla caccia.

(quick translation: I am writing to you to urge you to intervene immediately and stop the approval of Law 38 of the Community Law that will allow the removal of the limits of the hunting season and thus will allow the extension of the season to more than the already long 5 months. This law, if it is approved, will be a further abuse of European Hunting Law.)

Odonate

There is now also an online petition.

The petition can be found at: http://www.lipu.it/tu_petizione_cacciaselvaggia.htm

To complete the online form, I have translated the fields

Nome (Name):
Cognome (Surname):
E-mail:
Indirizzo (Address):
Città (Town/City):

Leave CAP blank and select EE in the Prov. field if you are outside Italy

In the box Socio Lipu, select No if you are not a member of LIPU (the Italian equivalent of the RSPB)

Could I urge people to sign as the voice of birders in Italy is a very small one.

Cheers

O

thanks to all that will sign it...it a moral matter for every birder

thanks

also:

Please sign it as soon as possible...
this time is not only an "Italian affair".... its a shame for the whole Europe and a potentially riskful matter for all our WP birds, shooting migrants ANY WP populations will suffer...also from your countries....

so sign it please

Also: very effective, would be if the Environmental Minister will be over flooded by e-mails complining about the new hunting law...chiefly if from foreigners, seing that in case the lw will be not changed you will not come anymore to Italy

so write to

[email protected]

this time is not only an "Italian affair".... its a shame for the whole Europe and a potentially riskful matter for all our WP birds said:
Signed, I think that's not an Italian affair nor a European one only, it’s ours ALL.

Signed & translated all the information into Finnish and published it on my Blog & informed BirdLife Finland.

I will send some emails as soon as possible.

Curious if anyone has organized to shorten, (or even cease?), the season in some non-hunting locations...or did someone block this loophole? Just a thought. I could see this law used to your advantage, if it is passed.

Curious if anyone has organized to shorten, (or even cease?), the season in some non-hunting locations...or did someone block this loophole? Just a thought. I could see this law used to your advantage, if it is passed.

Well in principle it could be but...this law is currently supported by the most aggressive hunters lobbies so I wouldn't very confident about that.
Hunters in Italy are around 1% of the overall population (and continuously decreasing their numbers), hunting is a largely unpopular activity especially among younger people and according to a recent poll about 90% of Italians are against hunting.
Sad to say in this Forum but this is one of the results of the current political situation since the most irrational hunter positions are often those of the extreme right, xenophobic parties.

Anyway I think that at the end the Reason will prevail o:) and this bad law will disappear

cheers
Stefano

Just a quick update on this - only 8000 turned up to the pro-hunting rally in Rome (the organisers estimated 100,000 but the police said 8000!!) and according to a recent poll, 40 % of Italian voters would think about changing their vote in the general election because of this issue (not that such polls are anything to go by). There is a link to an article (in Italian) here about the rally.

O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back