• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nutcracker German Black Forest (1 Viewer)

Fernando

Hello friends! Early August I'm spending several days in the German Black Forest; I'm lodging in Alpirsbach, and although the trip is simply touristic, there will always be a moment to dedicate to birdwatching. I am extremely interested in the nearest places where the watching of the Nutcracker (Nucifraga caryocatactes) could be easy. I have been told that it is possible to see in Triberg Falls, is that true?
Thank you very much.
Fernando
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_del_valle/

Hello,

I do not know this area.

Nutcrackers are very loud, so I would recommend to learn the voice ( is very easy ).
I checked internet.
There was written at the waterfall in Triberg should be some.
The people feed the squirrelks there and sometime also Nutcrackers looking for this feed.

Best regards
Dieter

Thank you Dieter for your help with the Nucifraga caryocatactes. I'm also going to Berlin for a week and I'll visit its surroundings.
Could you tell me a place near Berlin where I could see the Haliaeetus albicilla (Müritz-Nationalpark)?
I would also like to ask you if the Picoides tridactylus y Dendrocopos medius are possible to see near Berlin.
Is it possible to contract a guide for these species?
Thank you very much and Best Regards.
Fernando

@Fernando: The Müritz-Nationalpark is a great place to see White-tailed Eagle. The train from Berlin to Waren takes about one hour. One of the best areas is the Warnker See about 4-5 kms south of Waren. Other specialities here include Thrush Nightingale, Osprey and Barred Warbler. The area is best explored by bicycle.

see: www.bahn.de / http://www.mueritz-nationalpark.de/cms2/MNP_prod/MNP/de/Startseite/index.jsp

-Picoides tridactylus: the neares breeding sites are in southern Sweden, the Alps or Eastern Poland.
-Middle spotted woodpecker: The Spreewald south-east of Berlin is a very good area for this species, especially the area around Luebben. Unfortunately August is not the ideal time for finding this species as the birds are quiet and difficult to find in well-leaved trees.

I would recommend the guide "Voegel beobachten in Ostdeutschland" Wagner/Moning (2009).

Thanks a lot Peppershrike77 for giving me the location. I tried to see White-tailed sea eagles in Scotland (Mull and Skay), and in the Netherlands (in winter) and it was impossible, because of the weather or because I didn’t know how to choose the best place to see them. I hope this time I will be able to do it. I hadn’t thought of the species you mention (Thrush Nightingale and Barred Warbler) and I’m really excited because I didn’t know they could be seen in Germany, they are species largely dreamt by a birder from the South of Spain.
I have just bought the book you have recommended me by Ebay.
Best Regards
Fernando

@Fernando: Glad to help. The book is in German, but the maps are excellent. Also keep an eye out for Lesser Spotted Eagle between Berlin and Waren. They breed in small numbers in this area. The Chorin-Schorfheide National Park is a reasonably good area for this species. At the moment, there is a Greenish Warbler singing on the eastern outskirts of Berlin, but I doubt it will stay till August.

Hello,

here is a german page.
The sentence are useless because is only in german language.
But it give You an orientation.
White - tailed Eagle is easy to find in this area ( Nuthe Nieplitz, lake Gülper See ) and for me one of the best ( maybe the best ) bird watching spots
in Germany.
Also in this area is Buckow ( Nennhausen bear Rathenow ) where is located Great Bustard area ( also chance for Montagues Harrier ).
Last weeked I found 8 Ospreys in on saturday afternoon and included sunday 6 White tailed Eagles.

Best regards
Dieter

Eventhough there should be 1.700 - 1.900 breeding pairs of D. medius ( german Mittelspecht ), I never saw one in my life.
The main activity is in March and April.
But there should also a noice like "queck" where You should take care if have written.

Other rarities in federal country Brandenburg is Aquatic Warbler in national park Unteres Odertal at the border to Poland ( maybe 10 - 20 pairs left only in this park or maybe already extincted in Germany ? )
If You visit this area maybe check also informations about national park Wartha river mouth which is just over the border in Poland.

In the north east also chance for Eagle A.pomarina in the north of Autobahn A20 in the river valley of Recknitz. But the will leave in August.

In the north east is also lake Galenbecker See where are bredding place of Wiskered Tern.

In August can be also intersting island Poel and protected bird island Langenwerder near Wismar ( interesting for waders ).
only in german
http://www.langenwerder.de/Besuch.htm

guided tours at
So, 01.08.2010 So, 05.09.2010 So, 03.10.2010
So, 08.08.2010 So, 11.09.2010 So, 10.10.2010
So, 15.08.2010 So, 19.09.2010 So, 17.10.2010
So. 22.08.2010 So, 26.09.2010 So, 24.10.2010
So, 29.08.2010

Last edited:
@Fernando: Glad to help. The book is in German, but the maps are excellent. Also keep an eye out for Lesser Spotted Eagle between Berlin and Waren. They breed in small numbers in this area. The Chorin-Schorfheide National Park is a reasonably good area for this species. At the moment, there is a Greenish Warbler singing on the eastern outskirts of Berlin, but I doubt it will stay till August.

The maps of the book are here ( same author ).
http://www.birdinggermany.de/brandenburg.htm

Last edited:
Hello Dieter! Thank you very much for your offer. I'm in touch with Rolf Nessing (www.umwelt-bildung-nessing.de) for a guided trip to the area of UCKERMARK on the last day of my stay in Berlin. But in the mornings I'm going to get up early and go to the nearest areas less than an hour away from Spandau where I will be lodging. I have seen in the book "Voegel beobachten in Ostdeutschland" that the "Sperbergrasmücke is very abundant in the area of Döberitzer Heide (Elstal and Dallgow-Döberitz). I have also visited the website www.naturgucker.de and I have seen watchings of "Seeadler" in lake Blankensee, an hour away from Spandau and a bit nearer than Gülpersee (an hour and a half).
Best Regards
Fernando

Hello Fernando,

in area auf Dallgow Doeberitz I was only 1 time.
I saw not so much birds there.

Nuthe Nieplitz is nearer the lake Guelper See especially from Spandau.

At the lake maybe You will see White tailed Eagle.

A good place is also Pfefferflies near Stangenhagen ( but is better for Osprey ).

But high chance fro the eagle is driving to Zauchwitz, drive to south over the small river and turn left on an agriculture street ( unsealed road but useable for every cars ) to the end.
Walk 5 Minutes.
There is a small tower ( old maybe better do not use it ).

Look at direction of high trees. Especially in the evening every time a saw one Eagle there ( 4 yaers ago different times and also this year 3 weeks ago ).

Best regards
Dieter

Hello Dieter! Thank you very much for your offer. I'm in touch with Rolf Nessing (www.umwelt-bildung-nessing.de) for a guided trip to the area of UCKERMARK on the last day of my stay in Berlin. But in the mornings I'm going to get up early and go to the nearest areas less than an hour away from Spandau where I will be lodging. I have seen in the book "Voegel beobachten in Ostdeutschland" that the "Sperbergrasmücke is very abundant in the area of Döberitzer Heide (Elstal and Dallgow-Döberitz). I have also visited the website www.naturgucker.de and I have seen watchings of "Seeadler" in lake Blankensee, an hour away from Spandau and a bit nearer than Gülpersee (an hour and a half).
Best Regards
Fernando

I have the breeding atlas from Brandenburg opened.
The biggest dots are for White - tailed Eagles are also in the lake area of Uckermark ( dots are for 1, 2 and 3 pairs per defined area ).
So the chance for the Eagle must be very high if You have a guide from this area. I was only 2 times there, so me knowledge is rather poor.
There are 2 big lakes in this area.

Uckermark is the most remote area in Germany ( few people in a big area ).

This area belongs to so called lake area Mecklenburger Seeplatte, even it is federal country Brandenburg ( Mecklenburg Vorpommern is in the north of Brandenburg ).

In Prenzlau was a sugar company which are closed yet.
But small interesting lakes should be still there ?

For Sperbergrasmuecke in breeding atlas is written
3.000 - 4.000 breeding pairs in Brandenburg ( the area around Berlin )

Unteres Odertal ( east of Uckermark )
minimum 100 pairs in 54 square kilometers

area of "ehemalige Rieselfelder Ragow"
about 50 pairs on 10 square kilometer

Gartzer Bruch ( is also near Unteres Odertal )
63 pairs on 18,4 square kilometer

fly away between end of Juli to end of August
median is 15.8.

assemblies are unusual

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back