Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 28th October 2010, 16:13   #1
wolfbirder

Stellar's Eagle, WT Eagle & Golden Eagle interaction

Just seen a fascinating duel between these species for dying salmon on "Wild Russia" currently showing on Sky 528.

We know that Golden Eagles tend to dominate WT Eagles due to their aggressive nature, but I was surprised to see a Goldie see off a huge Stellars Eagle in what was a vicious fight over a salmon brought out onto the ice. The two birds tangled on the ground for a while but the Goldie with its weaker bill but strong talons eventually saw off the bigger but clearly intimidated Stellar's Eagle. This outcome was certainly not unsual according to the programme.

Great to watch! But surprised at the dominance of the Goldie.
Fav Birds - Hen, Pallid & Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Saker, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, Monty, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Friday 29th October 2010, 11:31   #2
Pugs1

That's interesting. Rumour here in the UK is that WTSE is the more dominant species and there was talk on WTSE ousting Golden Eagles from breeding territories. Perhaps Goldies are more dominant whilst at carcasses but not whilst establishing breeding ranges...great potential there

It is known in North America that the Goldie is dominant over the Bald Eagle, who in comparison is a bit of a docile creature.

Last edited by Pugs1 : Friday 29th October 2010 at 11:52.
Old Sunday 31st October 2010, 18:06   #3
wolfbirder

The large number of WT Eagles were fighting amongst themselves on the clip but certainly were respectful of the 3-4 Goldies. It was a Stellars that initially flew in to the Goldies to claim the fish but after a vicious fight with a Goldie it backed off and scarpered in a quite humiliating fashion.

Great clip and a shame I can't upload it.
Fav Birds - Hen, Pallid & Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Saker, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, Monty, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, Warblers (especially yank ones)!

Last edited by wolfbirder : Monday 1st November 2010 at 06:57.
Old Monday 1st November 2010, 04:19   #4
John Dracon
John Dracon

Here in Montana, U.S.A., we have both the bald and golden eagles. While the bird books list the bald as the larger of the two species, the golden seems larger and is certainly more agressive when the two are occasionally seen together. Many deer are killed on highways here, and scavengers of all stripes move in to feed. The golden eagle will attack mammals as large as deer and antelope. I have witnessed several such attacks that were successful. The eagles will come in from the rear and land on the neck and sink their talons causing paralysis. Newly born lambs are particularly vulnerable to golden eagle attacks. The sheep men used to kill them on sight, but of course today they enjoy federal protection. By law only American Indians can be in possession of golden eagle tail feathers which are used for ceremonial bonnets.
Old Tuesday 2nd November 2010, 00:31   #5
scuba0095

http://svtplay.se/v/2134923/det_vild...nd_-_kamtjatka

that is trhe video but i dont see any white tailed sea eagles
Old Tuesday 2nd November 2010, 05:44   #6
wolfbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0095 View Post

Sorry I may have got it wrong as i was watching it initially with no sound but i thought most of the birds sitting around & not involved in the fight were WT Eagles but looks like they are all Steller's.

Thanks for downloading it tho, it shows the vicious battle between Goldie & Steller. A superb piece of footage. Thanks again Scuba.
Old Tuesday 2nd November 2010, 06:25   #7
HokkaidoStu
occasional moderator

Wow, great footage there.

I too only saw Stellers and Goldens in that video though.

In Hokkaido we have all 3 species although the Golden is very rare. One thing I've noticed is that the White Tailed seems to dominate the Stellers. Several times I've seen them drive off Stellers. Here is an example from last year. Not quite as dramatic as the video linked above I'm sorry to say.............

The toughest of them all seems to be the Mountain Hawk Eagle. When the Stellers and White tailed Eagles feast on salmon they are always attended by lots of crows who harass them mercilessly but when the Hawk Eagle comes down the crows and everything else stay well away.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 01:17   #8
Irish Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokkaidoStu View Post

In Hokkaido we have all 3 species al
Lucky sod!! - something like that might just tempt me to fly all that way
Old Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 10:13   #9
stuartelsom

We did in Jan 09 - and boy was it fantastic!

See attached

Last edited by stuartelsom : Friday 18th May 2012 at 23:10.
BF Supporter 2010
Old Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 14:27   #10
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokkaidoStu View Post
One thing I've noticed is that the White Tailed seems to dominate the Stellers. Several times I've seen them drive off Stellers. Here is an example from last year. Not quite as dramatic as the video linked above I'm sorry to say.............
That's intriguing- one factor may be that Steller's feed incredibly quickly, so once they have been on a fish for more than few minutes, it might be less trouble for them to back off than have a fight with a W-t E. Estimates here from a Russian researcher based on field observations (I don't know how accurate or what sort of sample, but it gives an idea):

Steller's: 900g of fish in 3-4 minutes; W-t Eagle: 900g of fish in 18 minutes; G Eagle 900g of fish in 28 minutes.
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 4th November 2010, 00:49   #11
HokkaidoStu
occasional moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble View Post

Steller's: 900g of fish in 3-4 minutes; W-t Eagle: 900g of fish in 18 minutes; G Eagle 900g of fish in 28 minutes.
Wow that big yellow beak isn't just for decoration then!
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 4th November 2010, 11:16   #12
Daniel Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0095 View Post

Fantastic - thanks for sharing Scuba. My two young sons will love this - Eagles are a huge favourite! I took them down to the Andover Hawk Conservancy Trust a few years ago simply because they had received two young Stellers. Wonderful day!

I wonder how many of these scraps end up with fatalities??
Old Wednesday 20th March 2013, 13:20   #13
sandhillsam

One problem...I searched for the "eagles fighting video" and viewed the version on both animal planet website and youtube and (unless I have the wrong video, the link above didn't work) there is no Golden Eagle in this video. The bird who comes away with the food is a young Steller's, it is all all black with the signature huge yellow bill. Even the animal planet link on google states that it is a golden eagle vs Steller's battle. Sorry
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: