• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stacking 1.4 teleconverters (1 Viewer)

v_cowell

I know this has been covered to some extent in the past but has anyone done any tests with stacked 1.4 ( 1 canon and 1 kenko) over a canon 2x tc.
This would be on a 300 f/2.8

Vince
I have done this succesfully on my 40D. I found that I had to use 'all focus' points........for some reason it would not lock on if using just centre point.
I haven't tried it on my 7D as yet but should have tried it by Monday.
You should have better success with the 1D MK1V when you get it.
Below is a previous thread which may help.
Dave
Actually-when re-reading your question do you mean 2 1.4s plus a 2X

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=190336

I know this has been covered to some extent in the past but has anyone done any tests with stacked 1.4 ( 1 canon and 1 kenko) over a canon 2x tc.
This would be on a 300 f/2.8
I have done this test, same converters and 300/2.8. There was not a lot in it but the 2x just shaded it. One advantage to having a 2x as well as a 1.4x is that you can stack them with the 300/2.8 and get reasonable results in good light (assuming the 2x is not a Canon mkIII).

How does the maths work out on stacking TC's ?

EG 1.4xTC + 1.4xTC = 2.8x

300mm x 2.8x = 840mm

or....

1.4xTC X 1.4xTC = 1.96x

300mm x 1.96x = 588mm

How does the maths work out on stacking TC's ?

EG 1.4xTC + 1.4xTC = 2.8x

300mm x 2.8x = 840mm

or....

1.4xTC X 1.4xTC = 1.96x

300mm x 1.96x = 588mm
With two 1.4 x tc you do not add them together, you multiply 1.4 x 1.4 = 1.96 (actually it is 2 as a 1.4x tc is not exactly 1.4x)

So two 1.4x tc on a 300mm = 600mm, the same as a straight 2x

I have a question about stacking of converters, looking at my Canon 1.4x would I stack this with another as the elements within the converter seem to prevent such as action. For instance the glass at both ends extend beyond the housing.

Is the stacking only possible using non Canon with a Canon?

many thanks

I have a question about stacking of converters, looking at my Canon 1.4x would I stack this with another as the elements within the converter seem to prevent such as action. For instance the glass at both ends extend beyond the housing.

Is the stacking only possible using non Canon with a Canon?

many thanks
Steve, you can stack a Canon 1.4x tc with a Canon 2x tc providing the 2x is a MKII (2x MkI or the new 2x MkIII will not stack). As already indicated you can stack a non Canon like the Kenko with your 1.4x Canon. There is a way of stacking two Canon 1.4x tc's by putting a 12mm extension tube between them but you would lose focus at infinity.

Well, am I ever glad I stumbled across this thread. I bought another Canon 1.4x TC in order to stack it with the one I already had. Man, I would have been confused when I got around to assembling them had I not read this. Did not realize everyone was using a non-canon TC in order to stack them. Hadn't even looked at it. Just assumed it would work from all the stuff I'd been reading. I happen to have a set of 3 Kenko extension tubes, so maybe I'll be able to do it after all.

BTW, Roy, those are some very nice shots in your gallery

Last edited:
As my 2x is currently KIA I have been using two stacked 1.4s lately (Canon and Kenko PRO) and the results have been very good, as has been said on a par with the 2x really and generally the AF has been very good too but not quite as reliable as using the 2x. Check out the close-up of the willow warbler on my flickr page for a heavy crop using the two 1.4's. It's been sharpened a little as we all do but that doesn't detract from the fact that the original is still top notch IQ.

Basically if you were in a position where you had a 300mmf2.8 and you couldn't afford a Canon 2x and 1.4x for it or if you had an f4 lens and wanted a lot more reach but a 2x would stop the AF working then two 1.4s, be it a Canon and kenko or two kenko's then they are a very viable alternative IMO.

As my 2x is currently KIA I have been using two stacked 1.4s lately (Canon and Kenko PRO) and the results have been very good, as has been said on a par with the 2x really and generally the AF has been very good too but not quite as reliable as using the 2x. Check out the close-up of the willow warbler on my flickr page for a heavy crop using the two 1.4's. It's been sharpened a little as we all do but that doesn't detract from the fact that the original is still top notch IQ.

Basically if you were in a position where you had a 300mmf2.8 and you couldn't afford a Canon 2x and 1.4x for it or if you had an f4 lens and wanted a lot more reach but a 2x would stop the AF working then two 1.4s, be it a Canon and kenko or two kenko's then they are a very viable alternative IMO.

Excellent shots of the Willow Warbler with great detail. Can you just confirm the body/lens combination you used as the EXIF data has gone walkabout. Thanks. :t:

Excellent shots of the Willow Warbler with great detail. Can you just confirm the body/lens combination you used as the EXIF data has gone walkabout. Thanks. :t:

Yeah I have my flickr account set to withhold the exif data, perhaps you can do me a return favour BTW. Can you at least see what date it was taken? My aim was to include the EXIF when I saved the image so people could see when it was taken rather than me having to manually alter it for every image I upload which is the case if I use save for web.

At any rate it was a 1DMKIII with a 300mmf2.8 IS with Canon and Kenko 1.4's as I said. Really need to get my 2x seen to though! |^|

Yeah I have my flickr account set to withhold the exif data, perhaps you can do me a return favour BTW. Can you at least see what date it was taken? My aim was to include the EXIF when I saved the image so people could see when it was taken rather than me having to manually alter it for every image I upload which is the case if I use save for web.

At any rate it was a 1DMKIII with a 300mmf2.8 IS with Canon and Kenko 1.4's as I said. Really need to get my 2x seen to though! |^|

It was taken on April 7th 2011 according to the description to the right of the picture. This fills automatically from the EXIF data.

I have the same 1.4 TCs but with a 300 f4 so I rarely use them stacked on my 7D. Perhaps I'll give it another go. :t:

My brother Paul owned an f4 for a long while and played about with two stacked Kenko's. Results were pretty decent by and large but I would avoid heavy crops though.

It seems then my Flickr account is set up the way I want it so thanks for that. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back