• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Artes Binoculars (1 Viewer)

brocknroller

porromaniac
United States
Has anybody tried the new Artes Vixen ED roofs or read any reviews?

They look like two milk bottles stuck together. Open bridge, of course (aren't all the clones these days?). Twice the price of the Talon and the configurations match the Monarch X but the FOV is a little more generous in the Mnnarch 8.5x45 model - 7* FOV. "Made in Japan" (music to my ears).

http://www.vixenoptics.com/binoculars/artes.html

"Very interesting, but (hopefully... not) stupid."

Artes Johnson

Last edited:
$1000? Ouch.

I have owned some Vixen eyepieces in the past and thought they were good quality but that is a big step up the price ladder. The 8.5x magnification does give them a little distinction over the other open bridge ED roofs as does that flat connecting bridge between the barrels. Other than that though........

...and at 32 ounces dem's babies are gonna be heavy. ;-)

Attractive they are not. In general design terms I prefer curves to angles most any day. And the focus knob looks awefully slick. They are definitely more Delorean than Porsche.

Agreed, Brock, "Made in Japan" is a selling point because the Chinese are often still cranking more than crafting. Remember when we were kids--when "Laugh-In" was on--and "Made in Japan" often meant "junk"? Or perhaps I'm dating myself.;)

Mark

Not too likely, Brock. SK15 is only 1.79 times as expensive as cheap lowly BK7 in the Schott catalogue from the back of Rutten and van Venrooij. BTW, "costly" BAK4 is exactly 1.02 times as expensive as cheap lowly BK7. I imagine the cost of the raw glass for the prisms differs by less than $10, $20 at the most.

I'm more curious about why such glass is being used at all. It's Abbe# falls between Bak4 and BK7. It's dispersion is a little higher than BAK4, so it could be useful for maintaining TIR if the objective is very fast, but otherwise it wouldn't be "better".

Maybe in this case "SK15" isn't glass at all, but just another marketing term for a prism mirror coating.

Henry

Last edited:
They remind me a lot of the discontinued Bushnell Infinity binos, except the Bushnells have a lifetime warranty and can be picked up for around $200. Same mags also of 8.5 & 10.5x45.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back