Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 11th March 2012, 16:21   #26
BruceH

Taz .... I am inclined to think the new ED model. They have ED glass and appeared to be just slightly brighter to me (as I stated above in post number 23).
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

Last edited by BruceH : Sunday 11th March 2012 at 16:39.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th March 2012, 18:36   #27
cybrbrdr

Last year my beloved 18 year old B&L Elites gave up the ghost. I was dismayed to learn they couldn't be repaired or replaced except by a Bushnell product. After raising all kinds of heck I was referred to one of the Bushnell engineers who told me that the only thing Bausch and Lomb had taken with them when they quit the bino market was their name. Bushell still had their optics. And they had been installed in the Bushnell Elite. I begrudgingly had Bushnell ship me their 8 x 42 model. I carefully compared them with my wife's B&L Elite 8x42.

I was amazed that the image was virtually identical in all light conditions at all distances. I think the depth of focus was very slightly better on the B&L, but I'm not sure. So, I'm impressed. The body on these Bushnells is much better than the B&L, in which the only real complaints were the propensity for them to get out of alignment or collimation and for the rubber armoring to peel off. I had my B&Ls into Lenexa at least 5 times to correct these problems.

So, I am OK with the Bushnells. I feel they are a worthy replacement for what I consider the Best Binocular of All Time.
Old Monday 12th March 2012, 19:08   #28
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrbrdr View Post
........I begrudgingly had Bushnell ship me their 8 x 42 model. .........

So, I am OK with the Bushnells. I feel they are a worthy replacement for what I consider the Best Binocular of All Time.
Did Bushnell send you -

the 8X42 Elite ED (Model 628042ED) ("ED PRIME GLASS" printed on the left eyepiece ring)

or

the 8X42 Elite E2 (Model 628042) (E2 on the focus cap?)

Thanks
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 23rd March 2012, 01:36   #29
Kimballcorson

BruceH compared the Elite ED. Elite 10x43 and the Swarovski EL 10x42 WB and reached different results than I did. He concluded "the Swarovski had the better view, but it was not a night and day difference. The Swarovski had a better field of view, somewhat sharper edges, slightly better contrast and brightness, and about the same color fringing. The Swarovski, under the right conditions, appeared to have slightly more depth and a slightly better 3D effect."

I did and have since repeated that same comparison but only between the Swarovski and the Elite ED 10x42, and reach these conclusions: the field of view difference in practice is barely noticeable -- 6.3 vs. 6 degrees. Both are comparable in sharpness fall off to the edges, both side to side and top to bottom. I thought the contrast of the 10x42 Elite ED was ever so very slightly better, as was its brightness, in part because I observe an ever so faint yellow-green tint to the Swarovski image -- the predominate color of its coatings. Color fringing was about the same and the depth of field ever so slightly favored the Swarovski. I ignore the possibility of copy difference in the binoculars.

We differ then on contrast and brightness primarily. The contrast issue relates I think to the Swarovski ever so slight yellow-green tint. At distance, but not closer in, I think it provides a very slight contrast edge, but I also think it compromises on brightness a wee tad and on whiteness. The Elite has dielectrically coated prisms I believe, but I don't think the Swarovski does.

It would be a mistake to think these differences are significant for most uses. They are not. Most could be quite happy with either (no knowing the prices). But that is significant in and of itself because of the price difference between the two. I paid $1900 new for the Swarovski and $377 new for the Elite ED in an eBay Christmas day price war. (I hadn't even planned to purchase them but could let the price go by.) Bottom line: the Elite ED is a screaming deal. I actually prefer it over the Swarovski because it is smaller, seems lighter and most of all because it finds optical focus so fast, (much faster than my Bushnell Elite open hinge 12.5 x50), but still has very comparable depth of field to the Swarovski.

The latter point is quite significant to me, but not as much as the price difference which is huge.

Last edited by Kimballcorson : Friday 23rd March 2012 at 01:49.
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 07:00   #30
Kimballcorson

Some further observations on the Swarovski EL 10x42 WB and the Bushnell 10x42 ED. Back lit and at a distance where atmospherics or the very slightest haze intervenes (e.g., across an expanse of water), the EL can edge out the ED on contrast and brightness, but not otherwise or closer in where the situation reverses on contrast and also on brightness, but with a qualification on brightness which is the ED has a very slight cream color to its whiteness that the EL doesn't. As I have said the EL has an ever so slight green yellow cast most won't notice until it is pointed out to them and they look for it in comparison to a "whiter" binocular (e.g., Nikon Superior E 10x42). The ED remains a screaming deal, of course.
Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 02:05   #31
Star Farmer

I compared the Elite ED with a Zeiss FL. Both 10x42.

Did a side by side in the late afternoon shades. Couldn't tell any resolution difference. Finally brought them indoors and gazed at the texture on a lamp shade. After switching between the bins many times, finally noticed a bit more definition in the Zeiss.

The FL is a bit brighter, seems to have a little more contrast, and the field of view is a few degrees wider. The Elite has less pincushion.

The Elite is smaller and lighter. I detected a teenie amount of play in the focussing. The eyecup, while comfortable, slides a bit when pressed against my eyebrow.

Got the Elite at a discount. I paid almost five times more for the FL.
Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 03:56   #32
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Farmer View Post
I compared the Elite ED with a Zeiss FL. Both 10x42.

Did a side by side in the late afternoon shades. Couldn't tell any resolution difference. Finally brought them indoors and gazed at the texture on a lamp shade. After switching between the bins many times, finally noticed a bit more definition in the Zeiss.

The FL is a bit brighter, seems to have a little more contrast, and the field of view is a few degrees wider. The Elite has less pincushion.

The Elite is smaller and lighter. I detected a teenie amount of play in the focussing. The eyecup, while comfortable, slides a bit when pressed against my eyebrow.

Got the Elite at a discount. I paid almost five times more for the FL.
This is quite a review. Looking at a lampshade at what kind of distance?

You state the Bushnell is the better of the Zeiss.

For those watching, just consider the source.

Jerry
Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 12:29   #33
Star Farmer

Hey man, you speed reading my writeup?
Old Friday 11th May 2012, 06:05   #34
jayman_1975

I wonder if anyone on here has done the comparisson of the Elite ED to the Legend Ultra HD. I own a pair of 8x42 ultra hds and find that the glass is very good and it does seem that they are a tad brighter than my 8x43 Elites during in well lit conditions, but when the sun goes down the elites seem to be able to gather more light and show more detail than the Legends. For instance: I can look deep into an evergreen tree during the day and the Legends seem to show more detail in the very darkest parts of the tree. But, as soon as the light gets low, the opposite occurs and i can see detail in the dark areas longer with the Elites.

I wonder if this would be the case also when comparing the Elite ED vs the open bridge Elites?

For the record, i also find that although the Legends offer a much wider FOV, outer edge blurring is much more prominent and i find it distracts my attention and takes away from the over all image. I much prefer my Elites with a narrower FOV and much less, almost unnoticable blurring on the outer edges.
Old Sunday 13th May 2012, 04:25   #35
Star Farmer

Took the 10x42 ED on a hike today. One of the objective covers, which is tethered by a slip ring, fell off. Didn't try to find it. Simple solution, just remove the remaining one.

The eye cups did not want to stay put. Tried a few times to adjust eye placement in vain, and then realized either eye cup had retracted.

Still very happy with the resolution. But the depth of field is noticeably less than the Zeiss FL. Focussing is also more finicky, probably due to shorter focal length. Overall view not as bright or contrasty as the FL, or with as much depth. Still, its a bargain.
Old Saturday 19th May 2012, 00:01   #36
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
This is quite a review. Looking at a lampshade at what kind of distance?

You state the Bushnell is the better of the Zeiss.

For those watching, just consider the source.

Jerry
What were you reading there?
Old Saturday 19th May 2012, 00:44   #37
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
What were you reading there?
James:

I suppose what I was reading, is that the Bushnell had the better of the
Zeiss.

I know you are disappointed.

Jerry
Old Saturday 19th May 2012, 04:11   #38
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
James:

I suppose what I was reading, is that the Bushnell had the better of the
Zeiss.

I know you are disappointed.

Jerry
Somehow, you misread the whole thing completely, and I do mean completely. Reread it and get back to me.

Look, I have tried the SV and it is unsuitable for my uses. You can stop trying to sell it to me, I have what I need. And it gets a bit tiresome with you trying to point out that I constantly need something that you are so hung-up on, so just stop. After the 100th post on the subject, we all know you don't like the FL and like the SV and the EDG. Fair enough, some good glass there and I'm sure your happy - but leave it at that.

And, what's with the winkie after all your posts......are you saying that you don't really mean any of what you say or what?

Last edited by james holdsworth : Saturday 19th May 2012 at 04:15.
Old Wednesday 18th July 2012, 04:21   #39
cybrbrdr

Bruce, Mine are the EDs
Old Tuesday 31st July 2012, 17:38   #40
Timedrifter

Hi Kimball,
I've been reading this thread with great interest, and have a question you may be able to answer. I have a pair of Nikon 8x32 HG's (not the L's) and was wondering if I'd gain anything with the Elite 8x42 HD's? I didn't ever expect to find a better bin than this Nikon, but I'm prepared to accept I may. By the way, I did own a pair of Swaro 8.5x42 EL's, and to my mind the Nikons are better, which is why I've kept them and got rid of the Swaro's.
Cheers
Max

Last edited by Timedrifter : Tuesday 31st July 2012 at 20:03.
Old Thursday 2nd August 2012, 01:03   #41
Kimballcorson

I have the 8x32 HGs as well and while the focusing is super smooth and the binocular is heavier and more solid, I prefer the 10x42 ED Bushnells. They are lighter and seem to have a very slightly more open and very slightly brighter and sharper view. Not major differences at all, however. The Nikon is older optical technology. While I buy and sell a lot of binoculars, these two are both keepers. The price of the EDs makes them a real steal. Keep the Nikons and buy the 10x (not the 8x) EDs. The 8x EDs have a much too narrow a field of view.

Last edited by Kimballcorson : Thursday 2nd August 2012 at 03:24.
Old Thursday 2nd August 2012, 13:33   #42
Timedrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballcorson View Post
I have the 8x32 HGs as well and while the focusing is super smooth and the binocular is heavier and more solid, I prefer the 10x42 ED Bushnells. They are lighter and seem to have a very slightly more open and very slightly brighter and sharper view. Not major differences at all, however. The Nikon is older optical technology. While I buy and sell a lot of binoculars, these two are both keepers. The price of the EDs makes them a real steal. Keep the Nikons and buy the 10x (not the 8x) EDs. The 8x EDs have a much too narrow a field of view.
Hi Kimball,
Many thanks for your reply; it's appreciated. I hear what you're saying about the 8x, but suspect there's a greater depth of field with my Nikons than the 10x Bushnells? And do like the 'all in focus' view. Would also appreciate your comment on this aspect.
Cheers
Max
Old Friday 3rd August 2012, 03:09   #43
Kimballcorson

One of the reasons I so much like the 10x42 ED is that they are so fast to find pin point optical focus. Much faster than the Swarovski 10x42 WB or the Nikon 8x32 HG. That fact, to my mind, more than makes up for the lesser depth of field of the 10x42 ED, to say nothing of the added power and clarity which lets you seem to see more. I have individual focus Fujinons (7x50, 10x70 and 16x70, all FMT-SXs) and they all have horrendous depth of field, but I always know, for any focus position, at what distance their focus is optimal. The 10x42 ED makes that clear.
Old Saturday 4th August 2012, 14:05   #44
Timedrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballcorson View Post
One of the reasons I so much like the 10x42 ED is that they are so fast to find pin point optical focus. Much faster than the Swarovski 10x42 WB or the Nikon 8x32 HG. That fact, to my mind, more than makes up for the lesser depth of field of the 10x42 ED, to say nothing of the added power and clarity which lets you seem to see more. I have individual focus Fujinons (7x50, 10x70 and 16x70, all FMT-SXs) and they all have horrendous depth of field, but I always know, for any focus position, at what distance their focus is optimal. The 10x42 ED makes that clear.
Appreciate that Kimball - thanks!
Max
Old Saturday 25th August 2012, 17:55   #45
gts55

Perhaps someone can clear up the confusion on these bins. I see Bushnells site calls them Elite ED model# 620142ED. However several web retailers advertise Elite e2 ED model# 620142ED. SO is there a difference, or are the current models not e2's? Are the models # the best way to identify these bins? Optics Planet is one of the retailers.
Old Saturday 25th August 2012, 21:50   #46
normjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts55 View Post
Perhaps someone can clear up the confusion on these bins. I see Bushnells site calls them Elite ED model# 620142ED. However several web retailers advertise Elite e2 ED model# 620142ED. SO is there a difference, or are the current models not e2's? Are the models # the best way to identify these bins? Optics Planet is one of the retailers.
Looks as though the Elite E2 10x42 has number 620142 and the Elite ED 620142ED. I think Elite E2 ED may be a misnomer; should be either E2 or ED not both. The E2 is the now discontinued (and not so well received here) model while the ED is the well regarded current one.

That's my understanding anyways.
Old Sunday 26th August 2012, 00:14   #47
gts55

Thanks Norm, I will contact Bushnell Monday morning and get this cleared up. I contacted Optics Planet, they related the model# bin-620142ED was infact what they are selling for $479 with $30 off =$449. That would be a fair price if its the correct model.
Old Sunday 26th August 2012, 23:58   #48
David in NC

On the topic of the Elite, I know of a little naturalist shop nearby that stocks lots of binocs, and even carries a few Swarovskis. The shop owner, an actual ornithologist, told me a few years ago that the Bushnell Elites were his favorite and what he personally used, especially given the huge price difference between it and the Swaros.

Too bad B&L don't "make 'em like they used to"!

A co-worker has an old pair of B&L military binocs (US Navy, I believe). The case is well worn, the body of the binocs is well used, but the optics are UNBELIEVABLE. I have tried several times to buy them and he doesn't budge from "No."
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 12:24   #49
Star Farmer

Well, I don't know if the EDs are made like they used to, but the optics of my 10x42 definitely compares very well to the alphas. Very very sharp and free of CA. A huge bargain!
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 15:43   #50
gts55

Elite ED's?

Spoke with Bushnell customer service this morning, They related Elite 10x42 ED model 620142ED upc# 029757620156 are the current bins regardless of what some dealers are mistakenly calling Elite e2 ED's. The E2's model# was 620142 upc#029757620149. Maybe this will help clear up the confusion. Midway USA still shows the old E2 model and they look different.

Last edited by gts55 : Monday 27th August 2012 at 17:06.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: