• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Nitro 10x36 review (1 Viewer)

MildSalsa

Canada
I was very excited about this pair of binoculars for a number of reasons. I found them at a great price online (a little under $200), the extremely sparse reviews online sounded promising, and I liked the specs. I ordered them sight unseen based on:

629g/22.2oz
6.45° FOV (341ft / 114m)
12cm/4.8" long
17mm eye relief
Possibly a magnesium body (B&H mentioned this but not Bushnell, so perhaps this was a spec lost in a product update)
ED glass

It seems like a great size format: very compact in length, relatively lightweight, and the 36mm objective gives a little step up in exit pupil which I figured would improve ergonomics and performance when compared to the much more common 10x32 midsize format, without stepping up to a 10x42. I already own a heavier 10x50 (Nikon Action EX) and this looked to be a good compliment to my small collection.

The image quality under ideal lighting conditions was great. The spec'd eye relief was a little overstated but still usable for me with glasses on, getting just nearly the whole field in view with the eye cups down. But I found such a strong problem with glare, it ironically overshadowed everything else about these. With the sun even 40° off-axis there was a strong glare on the opposite edge of the field. A little closer to a light source or over water and a significant veiling glare was unavoidable, even by shifting eye position to the opposite edge of the exit pupil. On an overcast day, there was a haze over the entire image. Realizing that sometimes glare has to do with internal reflections from the ocular lens, I tried using them without glasses, varying the IPD and eye cup settings, but the problem would not go away.

It was so bad I thought these might have been a defect, something didn't get black paint inside the barrels that should have. Maybe that's how I got that good price? I couldn't see anything, but there were bright specular reflections right at the edge of the pupil and other reflections around it when holding the binoculars at a distance. I sent them in to Bushnell and while the person I spoke to there was very nice, he explained that he both didn't see any glare at all when looking through my pair, and that glare happens with all binoculars. Besides any potential contradictions between those two points, he assured me the view looked the same as his reference sample and offered to send a new unit.

I think especially for a 10x, which one might be using it for shore birds and raptors (my reason for wanting a 10x anyway), effective handling of stray light is critical. I only tested a sample size of 1, but it seems to me that this is a binocular which looks better on paper than through the barrels. Skip these.

I just bought these from Amazon, 63% off. I also liked the size and the spec. Allbinos gave them thumbs up. I have not received them yet, hope I like them better than you do😕

I'm curious to hear how you find them, it's still possible that I had a pair that fell on the low side of the quality distribution. And on the glare side bright side you've got an easy path to a return with Amazon if you don't like them :)

I also think this 10x36 is a very handy format: compact, quite light and sturdy. There's something about the 10x36 Nitro that I like. In fact, after some hesitation (I don't usually like 10x very much) I bought one. Oddly enough I don't recall the glare problem, at least in my copy. Quite the opposite, while I found the sharpness to be pleasing, I remember it was not the brightest of binoculars, and that colour rendering was not perfect, a bit of the "warm side". Focus wheel was a bit spongy like in other +- 300/400 $ Bushnell/Celestron I've tried.

Last edited:
I also think this 10x36 is a very handy format: compact, quite light and sturdy. There's something about the 10x36 Nitro that I like. In fact, after some hesitation (I don't usually like 10x very much) I bought one. Oddly enough I don't recall the glare problem, at least in my copy. Quite the opposite, while I found the sharpness to be pleasing, I remember it was not the brightest of binoculars, and that colour rendering was not perfect, a bit of the "warm side". Focus wheel was a bit spongy like in other +- 300/400 $ Bushnell/Celestron I've tried.
How did you you find eye placement/ease of view with these? Any blackouts when looking at the edge of fov? I have a pair of Diamondback 8x32HD, and have blackouts when trying to look outside the sweetspot/edge of fov. The Nitros have an even smaller exit pupil, but not by much.

@PHog I don't remind blackouts to be an issue in my case (but this tends to be a pretty personal matter). I do remember, however, that eye position was not the greatest, I'm not sure if eye relief was the culprit, but not the greatest "eyebox". Body/handling was nice, the 10x36 Nitro are compact and feel great in the hand. Regarding the Vortex, I have a 8x32 Diamondback HD and don't have any blackout issues with it.

I don't know if you've seen it, but 3 years ago I opened a thread requesting first hand experience with the Nitro, you might want to have a look at it (if you haven't already done so, that is).

@yarrellii Yes I noticed that thread, but no reviews there yet. I wish they made a 8x36 version of this binocular. Large exit pupil and size like most 32mm binoculars.

@yarrellii Yes I noticed that thread, but no reviews there yet. I wish they made a 8x36 version of this binocular. Large exit pupil and size like most 32mm binoculars.
Did you receive your order yet? Any reviews or advice for somebody who is considering buying them? (Bushnell nitro 10x36)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back