• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray Zen ED 3, Review? (1 Viewer)

Do you mean something like Holger Merlitz or one of the usual optics retailer websites?

None that I am aware of but then none of the usual optics retailers carry Zen Ray. I do seem to remember something about birdwatching.com possibly doing another review some time soon. Maybe Zen Ray will be included in it.

Do you mean something like Holger Merlitz or one of the usual optics retailer websites?

None that I am aware of but then none of the usual optics retailers carry Zen Ray. I do seem to remember something about birdwatching.com possibly doing another review some time soon. Maybe Zen Ray will be included in it.

Yes.
I checked him, Allbino, cloudynights, here, and googled around. Could not find anything.

Well. Given the "silence", the answer to my question is apparently no. Interesting, given the apparent level of popularity, at least on BF.

I think the issue focuses on the company's public presence beyond just the forums and the internet. I think they are well thought of in terms of price vs. performance and customer service for those of us that frequent the internet optics "arena" but to the rest of the general public they are an unknown. Have you ever seen a Zen Ray advertisement in a birding or hunting publication?

They are still a fairly small company but growing. I tend to view them as similar to Vortex when they first started. I do like the fact that they aren't trying to grow too fast by keeping their selection of optics and configurations fairly limited. I think we all would like to see more configurations or more models but I don't think any of us want to see that done if it compromises the quality level or the customer service.

Maybe a review will appear in one of the usual review sites over the next couple of months. I wouldn't be surprised if Birdwatcher's Digest or even Cornell had the ED3 as one of the models in for the next review.

ZR is attending MBS and I bet this helps them by leaps and bounds. Cornell, BWD, all kinds of organizations will be there. I plan to compare some "alpha" bins with the ED3's while I'm there. (I'm not in the market for alpha bins, just want to check out differences. I own three pair of binocs, and two are ZR. Once I find something that works, I tend to remain loyal.)

Michelle,

I would be interested to hear the results of your comparison....especially with the new 7x43 ED3 debuting at the show. I cannot wait to get my hands on that one myself.

Sometimes not being educated as much is more useful than being.

;-)

Many of us tend to overanalyze and nitpick quite a bit. Just getting general impressions can be more useful to the typical consumer. ;)

I have a review! (kinda ;))

I received my 8X43 ED3's yesterday and had some time to compare them with my Pentax 8X43 DCF SP's today (I played with both of them for about an hour).

Size: This goes to Pentax if you like smaller bins, the SP's are about an inch to an inch and a half shorter (just eyeballed on my part) and they also seem to weight a few ounces less than the ZR's.

Armour: No difference, in fact they are almost the same down to the color.

Rain shield and objective covers: The ZR's rain covers are not to loose or to tight (perfect IMHO) while the SP's rain covers are nothing but loose, they only stay on when the bins are upright (eyepieces up), ZR's win here.
The objective covers of the SP's go on the "inside" of the barrel while the ZR's go on the outside, The SP's are a little fiddly so the ZR's win here also.

Eye cups: Both are very good but the ZR's seem better IMHO. Both bins have stops but the ZR's have a greater resistance in between stops if thats where you would like them to stay.

Case: I like the ZR hard case but YMMV, the Pentax soft case is okee dokee in my book also.

Neck strap: Haven't even tried the ZR so no opinion yet.

Now for the good bits. :t:

Focus: Hands down to the SP's! The ZR's are to fast and there is some slop (a few degrees) in the focus wheel. The "slop" does seem to have a little advantage to me with the VERY fast focus of the ZR's, it gives me some kind of point where I do not go to far back the other way and go OOF again (it's to fast for me but i'll get use to it:brains:) The SP's win here, perfectly smooth and the speed is right! I do like the texture on the ZR's focus wheel better but it has greater issues to solve in the focusing department (should be a bit slower but not to slow...........and fix the slop).

Close focus: Looks like the 2 meter specs are right on, pretty much a tie IMHO.

Brightness: ZR's by a slight margin. It was cloudy and the light was dim when I made my compairison, the ZR's had the edge but I will have to have a "redo" in some nice light.

CA: ZR's all the way! My next best bins are my 10X35 E II's and I could not see anymore CA compared to my E II's (or any at all really), but that will be my next compairison for that sunny day. :t:

FOV: I don't even have to think about this one, ZR's win hands down! I can put my eyes square on the eyecups of the SP's and see all of the edges, top, bottom, left and right without any difficulty. I can't do this with the ZR's, I have to move my eyes and head from side to side, move the bins left and right, up and down to try and see the very edges and I still can't seem to see to the edges (left to right mostly). The ZR's have a very, VERY nice FOV and pretty darn sharp to the edges! :t:

Sharpness: Slight edge to the ZR's, but once again i'll have to wait for the next sunny day and my tripod is at hand.

So this is my review, use the Pentax focus system on the ZR's and you will have a definate winner IMHO! (oh yea, and make them a little smaller too)

Last edited:
I forgot about the diopter!

The ZR's diopter adjustment is better, I hate the push pull system.

The ZR's diopter is firm enough where it will not get knocked out of whack UNLESS someone intensionally tries to move it. I also like the ZR "clicky" system, you can even stop it in between clicks if this suites your eyesight.

Last edited:
Raybo,

Very nicely done. My experiences tend to mirror what you posted. It is nice to have those experienced reinforced by someone else. I would also agree that no product is perfect and that there is always room for improvement.

I havent seen the SP 8x43,but i have owned few pairs of the SP 8x32 over the years,and also the Pentax ED8x32 ...hand to hand the image of the SP´s( a very good,but older binocular) was not comparable in brightness ,sharpness or CA control with that of the ZEN ED´s I have owned.(ED8x43 and ED2 7x36)..now,,the Pentax ED series is another whole deal,and would make a more fair comparison.Both great binoculars and very good alternatives in the mid-high end of the market,to other great,more expensive brands

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back