• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck, Poole Harbour, Dorset (1 Viewer)

pooleparrot

Ian Ballam
Saw this duck this morning at Holes Bay, Poole Harbour. It was associating with a group of Shelduck.

Attachments

• sxduck.jpg
    sxduck.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 473
  • sxduck1.jpg
    sxduck1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 531
Sorry to disagree, but this isn't a Cape Shelduck. The head is too dark and the pattern of white is not right for Cape Shelduck.

This is a hybrid between a Ruddy Shelduck and a Common Shelduck - at least it looks like one and that's far more likely than any other hybrid that might hypothetically look similar. Compare to this bird for example.

Although the photo is distant...and therefore hard to judge.This could be a 'red mutation' Ruddy Shelduck female.
They are quite common in captivity. Interestingly the ducklings of this mutation are pure white with bluish bills and dark eyes...Paired with 'normal' Ruddys they produce approx 50% of each.

Although the photo is distant...and therefore hard to judge.This could be a 'red mutation' Ruddy Shelduck female.
They are quite common in captivity. Interestingly the ducklings of this mutation are pure white with bluish bills and dark eyes...Paired with 'normal' Ruddys they produce approx 50% of each.

Interesting... I've never come across this before. Googling doesn't turn up anything - do they go by any other name? Do you have any photos of such birds?

Interesting... I've never come across this before. Googling doesn't turn up anything - do they go by any other name? Do you have any photos of such birds?

Trying to upload a photo of mine but failing.
In the meantime try Googling....Backyard chickens forum, Looking for pictures of waterfowl colour mutations----page 4 has a photo of a captive pair.
They are a deep russet/chestnut red colouration.
This mutation has been bred for a number of years in collections in the U.K. and Europe. A true mutation, when paired to normals producing some normals and some reds.

Trying to upload a photo of mine but failing.
In the meantime try Googling....Backyard chickens forum, Looking for pictures of waterfowl colour mutations----page 4 has a photo of a captive pair.
They are a deep russet/chestnut red colouration.
This mutation has been bred for a number of years in collections in the U.K. and Europe. A true mutation, when paired to normals producing some normals and some reds.

Thanks - here is a link straight to the page for anyone else looking. Interesting. We probably need better photos (or description) to firmly resolve this then, though I think if I had to put money on it I'd stick with the hybrid as I get the impression of a darker head.

It's a shame that the person starting the thread on BackYard Chickens is so blatantly stealing photos in breach of copyright. I'm not sure whether to be amused or irritated by his audacity to write, "To everybody, please post your own mutation pictures" before posting one of my copyrighted images, without any credit, reference to me, link to my website or attempt to get permission!

Thanks for the replys. Duck was present again today slightly closer although still well over 150m , a couple more pics attached but probably no more conclusive.

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 157
The Hybrid returned to the Holes Bay today, got some closer shots. Is the concensus still Ruddy Shelduck X Shelduck.

Attachments

• 187hybrid.jpg
    187hybrid.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 188hybrid.jpg
    188hybrid.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 189hybrid.jpg
    189hybrid.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back