• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tufted duck ? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hi - these ducks I saw couple of days ago , Poland Podhale.
Are they it Tufted ducks, or some hybrids ?

Attachments

• _MG_3697.JPG
    _MG_3697.JPG
    580.4 KB · Views: 34
  • _MG_3707.JPG
    _MG_3707.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • _MG_3712.JPG
    _MG_3712.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • _MG_3884.JPG
    _MG_3884.JPG
    570.7 KB · Views: 33
  • _MG_3865.JPG
    _MG_3865.JPG
    696.6 KB · Views: 36
Hello Michal,

yes both look like pure Tufted Ducks for me too.

The basic-type bird might well be a 1cy female by darkish, muddy eye colour and uniform darkish bill lacking the pale blueish tinge and the contrasting inked tip of many adult females. But I am not sure of variation.

Hello again Michal,

please note that juvenile Tufted Duck can (appearantly) lack any, even the slightest indication of a tuft, even at close range.

For the second bird: ashy (or brownish) hues in the white flank patch is normal for an eclipse male Tufted Duck. And are regular during the whole year.

Here is a male Tufted Duck x Common Pochard for comparison (Gernsheim, Germany, 08.02.2012)TxR Gernsheim 8.2.12.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back