• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Woodpigeon migration (1 Viewer)

Plenty of Woodpigeon coming in from the East at the moment 1000's and yet at Spurn not even double figure counts http://www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk/sightings/

Can anyone explain why ?

Regards, John

we don't get big movements of woodpigeons at Spurn, never have, it is thought that birds don't move en masse across the north sea. Most big movements are probably British birds moving south-west through the middle of the country and leaving to France via the south coast
Andy

we don't get big movements of woodpigeons at Spurn, never have, it is thought that birds don't move en masse across the north sea. Most big movements are probably British birds moving south-west through the middle of the country and leaving to France via the south coast
Andy

Thanks Andy, There are big counts at Norh Staffs area Black Bank http://www.trektellen.org/trektelling.asp?telpost=419&site=0&land=5&taal=2&datum=20131104 and Berry Hill fields details trektellen site.
Monday I had a minimum of 6405 viewed from Hartshill Hayes CP (Warks)
http://www.trektellen.org/trektelling.asp?telpost=1104
they were coming in from from the East from Coalville and also south of Leicester majority heading SW .
There's no chance then the birds are coming in overnight, however radar would then pick up any large movemnts of birds, so it would appear they are British Birds forming large pods some containing 1000 birds generally moving SW.

Regards, John

Last edited:
If the weatherman get it correct tommorrow Thurday should be an ideal day for Woodpigeon migration, starting at Dawn and going through the mornng, so If you see groups of 50, 100, 150 or up to 1000 birds in groups generally going SW you may be able to solve the puzzle.

Regards, John

Thanks Andy, There are big counts at Norh Staffs area Black Bank http://www.trektellen.org/trektelling.asp?telpost=419&site=0&land=5&taal=2&datum=20131104 and Berry Hill fields details trektellen site.
Monday I had a minimum of 6405 viewed from Hartshill Hayes CP (Warks)
http://www.trektellen.org/trektelling.asp?telpost=1104
they were coming in from from the East from Coalville and also south of Leicester majority heading SW .
There's no chance then the birds are coming in overnight, however radar would then pick up any large movemnts of birds, so it would appear they are British Birds forming large pods some containing 1000 birds generally moving SW.

Regards, John

you should speak to Clive McKay who coordinates the trektellen in the uk, he has very detailed theories. Large numbers certainly follow the pennines down the country but how far they have come is not certain, but not from the continent
Andy

Woodpigeon Movements today North Staffs funnelled by the Peak District
Berry Hill Fields 14780 South West
Black Bank 4640 South West
Hartshill Hayes CP North Warks no Woodpigeon movement today, Monday 6405 came across the West Leicestershire plain.
No Woodpigeons going over Portland or Hengistbury head.
Therefore these are British Woodpigeon movements where some of the population moves South for the winter with sometimes birds moving over into the continent.

Regards, John

I think we will never know how large the autumn migration of wood pigeons in the UK is until there is a serious ringing effort to mark as many as possible in mid winter. The majority of wood pigeons ringed in the UK are likely to be pulli and breeding adults caught in the summer ( The only time of year when they came be regulary caught in mist nets ) . I suspect a serious catching program rocket netting several thousand birds might provide some interesting returns from the eastern side of the North Sea. While I have not seen it regulary I have seen at times hundreds and once thousands of pigeons comming in off the North sea. I seem to remember a record of 10,000s comming in over Gt Yarmouth in the Norfolk Bird report back in the 1950s or 60s. I suspect wood pigeon migration into the UK does happen , though possibly not every year in to this country.

Andy

I thought that the thinking was that they dispersed in the south of Britain and only crossed the channel in the hardest of conditions. Sure I read that somewhere.

Andy

It doesn't surprise me. We don't have big movements of pigeons on the coast here (max a few hundreds) but hundreds of thousands in the east of Belgium

I think we will never know how large the autumn migration of wood pigeons in the UK is until there is a serious ringing effort to mark as many as possible in mid winter. The majority of wood pigeons ringed in the UK are likely to be pulli and breeding adults caught in the summer ( The only time of year when they came be regulary caught in mist nets ) . I suspect a serious catching program rocket netting several thousand birds might provide some interesting returns from the eastern side of the North Sea. While I have not seen it regulary I have seen at times hundreds and once thousands of pigeons comming in off the North sea. I seem to remember a record of 10,000s comming in over Gt Yarmouth in the Norfolk Bird report back in the 1950s or 60s. I suspect wood pigeon migration into the UK does happen , though possibly not every year in to this country.

May be the result of East winds tideliner.
As Woodpigeon are shot there would be a good ring return as the shooting fraternity is as interested in Woodpigeon movements and their damage to crops so therefore farmers as well.

Last edited:
Woodpigeon sightings south Birmingham

Thanks John, yesterday was quite good. I had 3200+ over Earlswood today.
Kind regards,
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back