• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experienced in the UK, learning again in Thailand! (2 Viewers)

Hello, my names Tony and I can identify birds in the UK like that (snaps fingers). Only need the briefest of glimpses and I can say with 80% certainty what that little critter is. I am set to retire to Thailand full time soon. I have been in the Kingdom for a couple of months and I knew that there were many more species in Thailand than I am used to in the UK. I wasn't prepared of the overall sheer quantity of birds.

I am based in Udon Thani, north-east Thailand, not far from Loas and the birds are certainly thriving here. I think I am up to about 50 species so fart and I haven't really gone out of my way. The Coppersmith Barbet is a favourite as well as the Ornate Sunbird, both quite common but no-less exotic to my eyes. Whenever I can I try to capture the birds with my mirrorless camera. Old familiar favourites such as Barn Swallows have been easier to photograph here, than in the UK, just because there are more here than there are over there...

Most of my best photo's appear on my instagram site (www.instagram.com/tonyhedges2). There's a fairly good picture of an Ashy Drongo there. I am not going to wade into the thorny field of discussion surrounding the different subspecies, all I am sure of is that the one I photographed was definitely a light grey Drongo. If you want to check it out, be my guest and leave a comment about which subspecies you think it is, should the mood capture you.

I will get out and try to photograph more birds. I have been to most of the public parks in Udon Thani city, and the Red Lotus Lake, anyone familiar with my adopted 'neck of the woods', would like to suggest some other, easy to reach areas in Udon Thani (greater) or nearby provinces be confident that I will be happy to get any suggestions. I am back to the UK in February, and will probably be pining to get back to Udon Thani as soon as I can sort out a proper retirement visa.

Attachments

• ashy drongo.jpg
    ashy drongo.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Hi Tony and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That really is a lovely picture you've taken of the drongo... I'm not experienced at all in birds of your new area, what fun you're going to have now learning all about them. We have a few articles in our Opus section covering places to visit in Thailand, your can access them here - just click on the various sites: Category:Thailand - BirdForum Opus

Also we have a number of members from your area - no doubt you will come across them soon. Now, I'll look forward to seeing some of your pictures in the Gallery!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, glad I found this post we are in the process of booking a holiday to Thailand for December this year and I can’t wait! Last year we did Mexico and Sri Lanka and for a new birder I loved it.
Looking forward to your posts on instagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back