• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Black Duck ID please (1 Viewer)

Gus Horsley

Hi

Whilst birdwatching at Porth Reservoir (Cornwall) today we spotted 2 ducks that we have been unable to identify. Both were sooty black in colour (bellies slightly paler) with black beaks and dark eyes. Both had very white bibs. There was also a one feather white flash on the end of the folded wing. During flight the underneath of the wing was also black. They were sticking closely to a male mallard; size wise they were just marginally smaller. Could they be hybrids and if so of what?

Cheers Gus

Last edited:
Hi Gus
The birds you have discribed,sound to me to be domestic duck that have gone feral.
These melanistic birds are a crossbreed mallard which will quite readily pair back to mallard.
Hope this helps.
Regards Roger.

Hi Roger
Sounds feasible to me - I couldn't find them in any wild bird book and there are farms all around the site.

Cheers
Gus

roger hill said:
Hi Gus
The birds you have discribed,sound to me to be domestic duck that have gone feral.
These melanistic birds are a crossbreed mallard which will quite readily pair back to mallard.
Hope this helps.
Regards Roger.

Just a thought - Brent Geese aren't a lot bigger than a Mallard and can look quite duck like when swimming.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back