• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Merganser ID, Guangxi China (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

On large reservoir observed two pairs of mergansers. First pair were both clearly Scaly-sided, as shown in the first two photos.

However, later in the day we observed a second pair of birds. The male was clearly Scaly-sided, and I originally assumed the female was too just because of association. I did however, notice that the wing pattern of the female was different in flight from the female seen earlier (lacking a dark black line through the mostly white speculum). After looking at photos later, my son noticed the bill of the 2nd female is also quite different from the bill of the other birds. Rather than being mostly straight and pretty uniformly orange (with light tip), the bill has a distinct black tip that is hooked, as well as a more slim and sloped overall shape. I've attached photos (last five photos) which show both the wing pattern and bill of the second female. Am I correct to think this female is a Common Merganser? It doesn't show the white chin I might expect in Common Merganser. Would it be odd for the two species to be hanging out together as a pair (repeatedly flew together).

Mike

Attachments

• DSC07581 (2).JPG
    DSC07581 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC07640 (2).JPG
    DSC07640 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC07800.JPG
    DSC07800.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 43
  • DSC07835.JPG
    DSC07835.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC07856 (2).JPG
    DSC07856 (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
  • DSC07860.JPG
    DSC07860.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 42
  • DSC07854.JPG
    DSC07854.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Yes, The second female clearly is a goosander Mergus merganser, due to head shape, white speculum and no black line, bill shape and pale chin just visible...

It seems likely to me that the two species hang out together ... I live here at an inland site where redbreasted merganser is rare, but when they occur (in most cases as single birds) , they tend to associate with goosander. In one case in Switzerland (even more fare from the sea) a mixed species pair and hatching of hybrids was observed if I remeber correctly , so I can easily accept a goosander associating with scaly sided merganser

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back