• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird sp...? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Flushed this bird 20th August on Whitehall Plain, Epping Forest (unwittingly), along with a Dunnock and Com.Whitethroat, the latter two disappeared into yonder bush, managed to get this single shot off, before it too disappeared, have been stumped ever since...?

Cheers

Attachments

• Ching Plain sp..jpg
    Ching Plain sp..jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 272
Thanks guys...I agree first impressions Wryneck but...I believe that the undertail should be banded, and that the little spotting to the lower flanks should be horizontal rather than vertical. Unfortunately I never saw it through the bins, a nano-second decision had to be made camera or bins, thus I opted for the former, and from what I saw through the viewfinder, I was uncertain as to whether I'd even got it in focus or not....dunno?

Last edited:
Sorry to poop on the party, but that looks like a passerine, not a Wryneck. The body structure is wrong, in particular the tarsus too long and probably too slender, and not showing Wryneck's long, zygodactyl (2 forward, 2 back) toes. It also doesn't have a Wryneck's thick, tapered under-tail coverts.

Compare this :king:

Attachments

• Picture 968 lo.jpg
    Picture 968 lo.jpg
    831.1 KB · Views: 69
I thought the tarsus too long too. The trace of head pattern suggests Wryneck but I think its the leaves..? I thought Meadow Pipit but its tough!

If you take away the apparent head pattern, which I am not convinced is reality, the bird has little to suggest Wryneck. As for actual identity, I'd go as far as passerine, sp.

Last edited:
Did you get an idea of its size, Ken?

Not really Richard, other than a c5"?. saw it too late! With hindsight I should have opted for the bins, that would probably have given me more information. Interesting exercise though, showing how the camera lens/lighting artefact can suggestively mislead. I know the site very well, and visit almost daily, Linnet would be a site rarity! Reed Bunting are generally late Sep/Oct visitors as are Mipits. Never got an ''ipit'' feel to it, flight was perhaps faster rather than leisurely, think I'll have to file it under my very thin ;)...Dunno file.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back