• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Papua New Guinea - Some old and terrible photos (1 Viewer)

I was going through a few photos from my time in Papua New Guinea and found a few birds I couldn't ID. They are all from the Sepik regions.

Number 1: Maybe a manucode. Near Sissano Lagoon, Sandaun Province.
2: Shag I think. Sepik River, East Sepik Province
3: There are 2 birds in this one, the orange and black I think is a Golden Myna, and I have no idea about the other one.
4: Like a brown starling thingy, seen on Yuo Island, East Sepik Province

Thanks so much to the incredibly skilled birder who can ID these,
Liam

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8103.JPG
    IMG_8103.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8347.JPG
    IMG_8347.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8885.JPG
    IMG_8885.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 122
Glossy-mantled Manucode
Little Black Cormorant
Golden Myna and unknowable
# 4 has me puzzled- is that really a dark cap?

Unknowable? I would have thought the silhouette was pretty distinctive but oh well. The brownish one (5) was near a group of Metallic Starlings, if that helps. Here is another one that I am 90% sure is just a sacred kingfisher but I'm just checking. The white stripe on the head doesn't look right.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9871.JPG
    IMG_9871.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 67
BirdMeister,
Agree, with the Sacred Kingfisher. Surely the mystery bird is the Triller, in a rarely illustrated plumage. Have seen untypical Varied Triller even though this sounds like an oxymoron.

The kingfisher is a female Rufous-bellied Kookaburra IMHO.

And my guess on the pic 4 is Immature Boyer's Cuckooshrike molting it's tail

Last edited:
Birdmeister,
think Indo birder has provided a better solution to these two than me. Do you agree that there are no white markings only a bedraggled upper back on the mystery bird? Cuckoo-shrikes, like waxwings never seem to have untidy plumages and always look as if they have been sprayed with acrylic!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back