• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hand-holding Long Lenses (1 Viewer)

Nigel G

I have been following various threads on Image Stablisation (or OS/VR etc) versus non IS lenses and the oft repeated advice is that good long lens technique is still the basis for good pics. So what is good technique ?

Clearly one is almost always going to do better with a tripod but if, for whatever reason, you haven't got one available or can't use it, what makes a good hand holding lens, what are the golden rules, what are the general guidelines.

Nigel G said:
I have been following various threads on Image Stablisation (or OS/VR etc) versus non IS lenses and the oft repeated advice is that good long lens technique is still the basis for good pics. So what is good technique ?

Clearly one is almost always going to do better with a tripod but if, for whatever reason, you haven't got one available or can't use it, what makes a good hand holding lens, what are the golden rules, what are the general guidelines.
One alternative method, as used by a resident birder/photographer on The Isles of Scilly, is as shown below :-

Roger

Attachments

• DSCF0088a.jpg
    DSCF0088a.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 336
Keith Reeder said:

Being pretty poor at hand holding, I am loathed to pass comment...but one point I would question on this link...

The technique I was shown for portrait was hand OVER the camera, not under - very similar to the arm position when you have a grip attached. This tightens/pulls less muscles in your arm and places less stress on your wrist.

Maybe it doesn't matter?

Cheers Mark.

One thing I didn't see mentioned in the linked article. Holding the lens at the end from furthest the camera helps a lot, because it reduces the angle the lens moves through when your hand wobbles slightly.

Nigel G said:

Another thing to take along but they do work.
http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Group/5YDIQ7IWWOKX6ZMJ.htm

Cheers
Craig Ryder

LOL Roger love the photo technique. I used to do that on my eldest sons shoulder but he is taller than me now ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back