• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper 10X42 (1 Viewer)

Lewie said:
Has any one tried the Vortex Viper 10X42? Thoughts?

Vortex binoculars are part of the Stokes Birding Series of Binoculars. They are distributed by Eagle Optics. www.eagleoptics.com. They appear to be Chinese made for the most part. And there hasn't been much written up on them to date. In the last month or so there were a couple of threads devoted to them in this binocular forum. There is one in the "others" forum on a Stokes Binocular.
Cordially,
Bob

Vortex Viper 10x42

As a representative of Vortex Optics, I would like to clarify some of the statements made in Bob's post.

First, the Stokes Series of Birding binoculars are a licensed brand produced by Vortex Optics, not the other way around. Second, while Bob is correct that many Vortex models are produced in China, the Viper series are produced in Japan. And finally, in fairness to some of our other dealers, there are hundreds of reputable Vortex dealers throughout the US and on the web, not just Eagle Optics. A full listing of Vortex Dealers can be found here:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/dealer.html#

As has been stated in other posts, many dealers can be relied upon for fairly objective opinions about the products they sell so you may want to pick one (or more) and give them a call and ask what they think of the binoculars. Also, I'm including a link to a short review here:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/whatsnew.html

Thanks very much!

Tim Austin and the Vortex Staff

Aha, now that we have you here, I am curious, has the 8.5x32 Spitfire model been selling well? I can put up with a little dimness, but I would want it to be as sharp as say a Nikon Sporter, maybe better. It happens to be the only 8.5x32 available.

Hi Tero

The Spitfires have been very popular for us; an excellent binocular for anyone wanting a mid-size, waterproof, roof prism binocular that is also eyeglass-friendly for under $200.00. How does it compare to others out there? I've been very impressed with it, it's my favorite for watching sporting events. I would encourage you to try it out and make a decision for yourself. Here's a link to local dealers in your area, call and stop by one when you have a chance:

http://sheltered.know-where.com/she...n&design=default&place=St.+Louis&region=MO,US

I'd like to hear your opinion after you've had a chance to try them.

Thanks
Tim and the rest of the Vortex staff.

Thanks for the list, I printed it out. We have a Cabela's coming here in late spring, I hope you use them as well.

VortexStaff said:
As a representative of Vortex Optics, I would like to clarify some of the statements made in Bob's post.

First, the Stokes Series of Birding binoculars are a licensed brand produced by Vortex Optics, not the other way around. Second, while Bob is correct that many Vortex models are produced in China, the Viper series are produced in Japan. And finally, in fairness to some of our other dealers, there are hundreds of reputable Vortex dealers throughout the US and on the web, not just Eagle Optics. A full listing of Vortex Dealers can be found here:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/dealer.html#

As has been stated in other posts, many dealers can be relied upon for fairly objective opinions about the products they sell so you may want to pick one (or more) and give them a call and ask what they think of the binoculars. Also, I'm including a link to a short review here:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/whatsnew.html

Thanks very much!

Tim Austin and the Vortex Staff

Hi Tim,
We're glad to hear from you. Sorry about the misinfo although I should have figured I had the Stokes relationship backwards if I'd thought about it. Anyway, we finally have some info from the source to sink our teeths into.
Best wishes,
Bob

Thanks for all the input. This morning I ordered the Vortex Viper 10X42 from Eagle Optics.

I will post an infromal review.

Hope everyone has a great birding weekend!

Lew

Birded with the Vortex Viper 10X42 Saturday and Sunday. My empressions are as follows:

Ergonomics: Very good. Very easy to hold. They feel very natural in my hands. Light at 23-some ounces. Maybe not as good as the Leica Ultravids or Swarovski Els, but better than the Swarovski SLCs or the Nikon Premier LXLs.
I had no trouble holding them still.

Focusing: The focus wheel is not as smooth as the Nikon premier, but better
than any Leica, Zeizz, or Swarovski that I have tried. It takes 1.5 turns to go from near to far. That is I longer than I like, but normally I had no trouble quickly focusing on a bird. (I have found no binoculars that focuses as smoothly as my Nikon Premier LXL 8X32.)

Optics: Very good. Very bright with good contrast. Probably not as much contrast as the Nikon Premier LXL. And probably not as bright as the Zeiss FL.
I was impressed with the optics, but did not test them against other binos, other than using both the Viper and my Nikon Premier 8X32.

Other:
The case is very nice. Well padded. A zippered pocket. The case come with its own carrying strap, which can be removed with snaps. I removed that strap and use the one attached to my binos. My only problem with the case is that it is a realy tight fit. I had to work hard to get the binos into the case. I would have appreciatetd a case slightly larger.

Attached objective lens covers. The covers are attached to the barrels by way of straps around the barrels. Seems kind of cheap to me, but i guess it makes them easy to remove. I do wonder, however, if you often remove the straps so that you can leave the objective lens covers at home, how long will the straps last.

All the above are just my own opinions, and I arrived at them by just using the binos, and not through any fancy tests.

Lew

Thanks lewie, because of your good review for the 10x viper I took the step and bought the 8x version. Not having any high end bino's, I cannot compare it with them. However I agree with your review.

Size and weight, - weight 670g and has a "light" feel to it. I think the term is good balance.
Optics - Most of the view is in focus, slight amount of CA under high contrast. FOV good.
Mechanics - Good quality feel and finish.

I also has the same minor quibble about the objective lens caps. I would have preffered colour co-ordinated caps that fit in the end; rather than over it, and are held captive by straps from the tripod screw. Sent my comments to vortex about the end caps but no reply.

Overall very pleased with them while birding.

VortexStaff said:
Hi Tero

The Spitfires have been very popular for us; an excellent binocular for anyone wanting a mid-size, waterproof, roof prism binocular that is also eyeglass-friendly for under $200.00. How does it compare to others out there? I've been very impressed with it, it's my favorite for watching sporting events. I would encourage you to try it out and make a decision for yourself. Here's a link to local dealers in your area, call and stop by one when you have a chance:

http://sheltered.know-where.com/she...n&design=default&place=St.+Louis&region=MO,US

I'd like to hear your opinion after you've had a chance to try them.

Thanks
Tim and the rest of the Vortex staff.
I forgot to post it here, but the 10x32 Spitfires were really poor. I guess they do not cost much, but so far it was my second attempt at small 10x and this was definitely not my solution. Depth of field was nonexistent. Only a small bird stayed all in focus and the front and back scenery was a blur. I had them a day, returned to EO. Even my Nikon Sporter 10x36 are far superior to it. I sort of gave up on 10x32 as a format, though some high end models may be OK.

So Stick to the Razors and Vipers, folks.

Tero said:
I forgot to post it here, but the 10x32 Spitfires were really poor. I guess they do not cost much, but so far it was my second attempt at small 10x and this was definitely not my solution. Depth of field was nonexistent. Only a small bird stayed all in focus and the front and back scenery was a blur. I had them a day, returned to EO. Even my Nikon Sporter 10x36 are far superior to it. I sort of gave up on 10x32 as a format, though some high end models may be OK.

So Stick to the Razors and Vipers, folks.

Hm, so I feel much better returning my splitfires back to store after trying it for a week or so. I also notice the focus is very tricky.. I am having a hard time adjusting the diopter as well. Razor is out of my budget.. I think I will give Viper a try in the next few weeks.. thanks

Has any one tried the Vortex Viper 10X42? Thoughts?
I bought a Vortex Spitfire 10x25 a few month ago. For ~US$100 I did not expect miracles but at least to get a focused picture. I admit, it seems to be solid and well build but that doesn't help in view of the poor optical quality.

I really don't think you can get a decent 10 x 32 or 10 x 25 Roof Prism for much less then $400.00 or $500.00 respectively. If your budget is less than that you are best sticking with reverse porro's like the Nikon Traveler's or ATB's.
Bob

PS And if you want a REALLY good 10 x 32 you are going to have to get one from Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski or Nikon.

Last edited:
I really don't think you can get a decent 10 x 32 or 10 x 25 Roof Prism for much less then $400.00 or $500.00 respectively. If your budget is less than that you are best sticking with reverse porro's like the Nikon Traveler's or ATB's.
Bob

PS And if you want a REALLY good 10 x 32 you are going to have to get one from Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski or Nikon.

I agree in part - if you can adapt to the oversize eyecups of the Leupold Golden Ring bins, there are worth checking out. IMHO the Vortex Viper 10 x 42 is an amazing binocular - bright, sharp, lighter than expected and very effective in the field. The real sleeper is the 8 x 25 Vortex Vanguish - try and you will be awed.

Thought I'd chime in here since I have a Viper 10x42. I also tried out an 8x42Viper. I'd ordered the 8x Viper and a Swift 7x36 initially. I kept the Swift for its small size and exchanged the 8x for a 10x Viper.

Tero, these are a whole world different from the binoculars you typically post about. Wondering about how the brightness of the Viper compares to an inexpensive 10x25 is not even as close as apples and oranges. So if you are looking for a good bright glass for less than $500, these are likely it. They are brighter in my experience than a Pentax SP. (Tero, I'd better throw in an edit here, looks like you were referring to the Vanquish from Chartwell's post, oops! Anyway the Vipers are still bright)

The brightness of the Viper is probably its outstanding feature. Maybe it is the HD glass or some combination of that and the coatings Vortex uses. Whatever it is, they are as bright as many far, far more expensive binoculars. It is easier I think to make a binocular bright than sharp, but the resolution is right up there with the brightness. The brightness makes them well usable in dim, dark, and twilight condidtions.

I have not been able to see fringing except under the most extreme and adverse conditions when I've been actively looking for it. Same for Chromatic shift. I have to look almost directly into the sun at a real high contrast target, like a soaring Turkey Vulture before I can see even a little. I admit to not being the best source for this sort of evaluation because I tend to ignore these things, Once you train yourself to see them, you forever doom yourself to buying expensive glass, because you will be able to see nothing else when you look through any binocular. I have purposely not done that to myself.

Some people dislike the flare around the outer edge, but I find the field very flat and sharp. What edge fuzziness there is, I do not see at all when I use the binocular. The sweet spot seems to be at least 90% of the field,

They also excell in depth of field as well. They are better focus and forget glasses than the IF types I have used. The field, when focused on something about 100 yards out is from about 80 feet to infinity.

I got into the Eaglet and Viper in a effort to upgrade my Nikon Monarch 8x42. The both do that by quite a margin. Both have my vote for the point where you get the most quality for the $. These are at least 96-98% of the way to the big names.

I will second Lewies comments as well.

Steve

Last edited:
Sorry, this thread rambled. Chartwell and I were discussing 10 x 26, or 8x, Vortex Vanquish, a reverse porro. See link in my above post.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back