• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Dragonfly? (1 Viewer)

moose1991

Alces alces
These were taken by a friend in Chester.
I think they are female Ruddy Darters am I right?
Thanks.

EDIT. It's Common Darter isn't it?

Attachments

• wat.jpg
    wat.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 98
  • isthis.jpg
    isthis.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
These were taken by a friend in Chester.
I think they are female Ruddy Darters am I right?
Thanks.

EDIT. It's Common Darter isn't it?

Hi Moose

I'll go with your revision! In both pics you can see the vulvar scale (not obvious in Ruddy) and in the right hand pic you can see the pale stripe on the legs.

Paul

Could I ask if anyone else thinks the "parallelogram" shaped black outline on the side of the thorax is diagnostic for female Common Darter vs Ruddy Darter? I've seen very few female Ruddy and couldn't find many pics to confirm my thoughts.

Last edited:
Could I ask if anyone else thinks the "parallelogram" shaped black outline on the side of the thorax is diagnostic for female Common Darter vs Ruddy Darter? I've seen very few female Ruddy and couldn't find many pics to confirm my thoughts.

Not very reliable, immatures do have panels on the side - althiough they're fainter and less distinct. Don't forget female Black darters as a possibility if trying to id from a photo - that was my thought when I saw the photos above, but my eyesight's not good enough to see the stripes on the legs.

The yellow sides are variable, even in adults, but once mature Common does have a darker mid panel and Ruddy doesnt.

Black Darter can be ruled out by thorax sides - all ages have dark mid panel with yellow spotting, the vulvar scale is at 90 degrees to the abdomen segment, the black on the undersides of the abdomen would extend further up the sides and each of the side of each abdomen seg lacks the long 'dash' of the red darters.

Steve
Watching British Dragonflies - see it at Birdfair 2007 - www.wildlifebooks.com

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back