• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Hampshire - Darter this week (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

I have only just got around to looking at some of the photos of Darters from a site on the Hampshire/Berks border (in Hampshire but just outside the VC12 Boundary). The day was a success in finding a number of Black Darter that the habitat says shouldn't be there but are regularly found especially at the beginning of September. Ruddy Darter and Common Darter are both plentiful.

Looking at the photo, the combination of stripey legs and thorax markings are not typical of species at the site and I wondered if anyone would venture to put a name to the species. Unfortunately these are the only photos I have of this individual and I am kicking myself I didn't take more, but in Black Darter search modeDSC07744.JPG

Attachments

• DSC07745.JPG
    DSC07745.JPG
    779.5 KB · Views: 6
Your picture reminds of this immature male Common Darter from Blashford Lakes taken on 5th August 2016.
Your image is at a sleight angle so the black in the metapleural suture doesn't show as much (or perhaps is hidden by a wing vein) but still spot on for Common Darter - as Val35 says.600D_15397.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back