Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Thursday 22nd September 2005, 17:55   #76
jomo

Hands down is Chris Bacon as my favourite. I am continuously blown away by this guy's work, particularly his new stuff.

www.chrisbacon.com if you want a look.
Old Thursday 22nd September 2005, 18:03   #77
Isurus

On a slightly different angle I like Guy Taplin - his work isn't all that representational but for me it has that something.
Old Friday 23rd September 2005, 04:12   #78
Rebel Note
Newbie ++

missed artist

The artists mentioned so far are great, found a few I never heard of and some of the works i have seen through the links supplied in the thread are stunning. One of my favourites has been missed though. Christopher Pope. An austrlian guy, paints birds nearly exclusivly. I have a couple of the limited edition prints and an original and the detail and colour is supurb. I found his personal site at http://cbpart.atspace.com/ some nice paintings, though being new to this I cant't say how stylised they are compared to the real bird.
Old Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 23:52   #79
Hidde Bruinsma

Favourite bird artist

Choosing your favourite bird artist is almost like choosing your favourite bird. There are so many of them and many are so good.
From the nineteenth century there are J.G.Keulemans, J.Smit and H.Gronvold. Combined they depicted almost every new bird species described in that period. Their illustrations are wonderful, small hand-coloured lithographs with warm, old tones, so to speak. It makes them quite collectible. From that time I like the work of John Goulds' team the most:William Hart, Henry Richter and the ultimate illustrator of the time Joseph Wolf. The plates Wolf made for D.G.Elliots monograph on the pheasants are most stunning. Call me a lucky devil but as I write this down and look to my left I see a fine exemple of these plates.
Moving on to the twentieth (and-first) century, the first artist to come out of that period who I think is extraordinary is David Reid Henry. His work perfectly balances the romance of the nineteenth century with the taxanomical accuracy of his time. He died way too soon. Of the current artists I particularly like Chris Rose, Ian Lewington and David Quinn among many others.
However. The one who takes the price of the all time greatest bird artist, at least as far as I'm concerned, is: William T. Cooper. Most of you will know him for his illustrations in monographs on parrots, birds of paradise/bowerbirds, kingfishers etc. They are done very much in the style of Goulds' team. Indeed, Jozeph Wolf may be his number one idol. But you should see his oils. It's like seeing a bird painting done by Vermeer. An incredible combination of sence of detail and of colour, set in a surrounding filled with marvellous little wonders in leaves, mosses, lichens, water drops etc., etc. And then the backgrounds. Forest clad mountains with misty valleys. It is all so complete and so well done. If only I could own one such painting...
Old Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 10:36   #80
Anntan

Thank you Mike for this wonderful thread, I wonder how I missed it before. Now I have so many terrific artists to entertain me on these foggy winter days. There are two artists not mentioned yet and they just happen to be my favourites. Who hasn't seen the wonderful bird art of Walter A Weber in all those old National Geographic magazines, and I wonder how many of the up-and-comming bird artists have tried to emulate those fantastic pictures painted by Basil Ede, To me his art surpasses all others but I will have to hold my judgement for a while until I have seen the art of all these new ones from the list on this thread. Will get back to you later with my report. Thanks Mike.
Old Friday 25th November 2005, 00:05   #81
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

There are a lot of names that have come up but it's surprising that while so many Ennion fans have come forward, John Busby has been left out. The works of both are phenomenal for the pure spirit of the birds portrayed with what seems such little effort.
Other artists I admire greatly that follow in the same vein are David Bennet, James McCallum and Darren Woodhead.

Have to say I'm much more a fan of field painting for the pure rawness of it. Its charm is the fact that it's unconsidered and spontaneous, therefore a pure expression.

Nick Derry
Old Friday 25th November 2005, 07:48   #82
hollis_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy
At least, many of the names mentioned I have never heard of before. So I start with one of my UK favorites: Alan Harris. I know him only as a FG illustrator, but there, I highly appreciate the way he draws as well as the arrangements on a page. Fortunately, I have been able to get several of his originals with four of them gracing walls in my home.
I think I was Alan's first paying customer. When we were around 11 or 12 years old I paid him to paint a Tawney Owl for my mother's birthday. It's still hanging on a wall thirty-something years later.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 1st December 2005, 12:15   #83
sohrab tajadin

Archibald Thorburn is my favourite bird artist followed by Joseph Wolf.
Old Thursday 1st December 2005, 12:32   #84
pduxon
Quacked up Member

as time goes by I really do like more and more some of Lars Jonssons work. Watching him on the DVD Ten days to paint the forest you realise just how good the guy is.

Cley Spy had some stuff in there gallery that I was CONVINCED was a photo!! It was stunning.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 1st December 2005, 12:33   #85
pduxon
Quacked up Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohrab tajadin
Archibald Thorburn is my favourite bird artist followed by Joseph Wolf.
welcome to BF!

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 1st December 2005, 12:57   #86
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduxon
Cley Spy had some stuff in there gallery that I was CONVINCED was a photo!! It was stunning.
I'd guess you're referring to work by Adrian Smart - some of his work is amazingly life like.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 1st December 2005, 12:58   #87
London Birder

soft spot for Lars Jonsson myself ...

anyone remember Raymond Harris Ching?
Old Thursday 1st December 2005, 14:29   #88
KnockerNorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo
Hands down is Chris Bacon as my favourite. I am continuously blown away by this guy's work, particularly his new stuff.

www.chrisbacon.com if you want a look.
He's pretty fantastic technically, although some of the compositions aren't to my liking. That's the problem with a lot of bird art as art though - it tends to look like it would be at home in a nice pub or a grand house, but you can't really imagine it in your living room.
Old Monday 6th February 2006, 23:06   #89
Pluvius

I also think Guy Taplin does brilliant representations in wood. Colin See-Paynton for woodcuts which are amazing. He doesnt seem to have a website but google his name. A friend of my sisters called Andrew Stock. My grandfather gave me an original Thorburn of a Peregrine as a birth present in 1962 as one of my names is Peregrine! As well he gave me a copy of Thorburns Birds by James Fisher when I was five.( Very nice grandfather and the person who introduced me to birding.)

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd May 2006, 22:41   #90
Craig H

What an excellent thread

My personal favourites are Trevor Boyer Ian Lewington and Steve Townsend

http://www.steventownsend.com/default.asp

Steve is probably best known for his dog paintings but his birds are top notch too.
Old Saturday 6th October 2007, 09:22   #91
thomas monahan
Bird Artist

New Bird Artist would appreciate feedback on his artwork!

Hi, Im a new bird artist who would just like to say hello and also ask for any feedback regarding my art work. you can go to my website on http://www.thomasmonahan.co.uk, any comments would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Old Saturday 6th October 2007, 20:17   #92
Keith Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas monahan View Post
Hi, Im a new bird artist who would just like to say hello and also ask for any feedback regarding my art work. you can go to my website on http://www.thomasmonahan.co.uk, any comments would be appreciated,
Thanks!

thanks for sharing - and looking at your greeting cards you're good with a camera too!

Keith.
Old Saturday 6th October 2007, 20:31   #93
thomas monahan
Bird Artist

Hi Keith
Thanks for your comments, went to your website, great work on the peregrine!
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 18:52   #94
Zac Hinchcliffe
Time spent wishing is time wasted!

Ill say Tony Disley because he's a mate, and he got me into Drawing!

Zac

Most recent Lifer - Melodious Warbler (358 BOU)
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 19:15   #95
devilbirder
teen London/Surrey birder

I think Lars Jonsson is absolutely amazing, he can capture both an atmospheric bird landscape type painting and great portraits. He illustrated the whole of The Birds of Europe with North Africa and the Middle East. Not to mention writing it all too. He is a legend.
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 19:23   #96
Penny Clarke

The late Richard Richardson who illustrated the first Pocket Guide to British Birds in 1952.

Steve Cale

James Macallum
Old Sunday 17th February 2008, 21:54   #97
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMSLouis View Post
William Cooper .......and a set of prints of turacos (not as a book)
These have since been published in a book as well, though reduced in size. Beautiful artwork, once again!

http://nokomis.com.au/turacos.html
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th March 2008, 21:56   #98
BUIDHEAN

Browsing Ebay for wildlife art books I came across a title 'Getting to Know the Birds' by C.S. Bayne, illustrated by Ralston Gudgeon, web site at http://www.ralstongudgeon.com/ ........ Stephen
Old Saturday 24th January 2009, 14:02   #99
aberbirder
S.Harris

Alan Harris is my favourite to....not only because he is my dad, but because when you look st the art you really feel you are 'there'. They look so real. Especially as for some paintings i was there when he got the idea!!!! haha. But i guess my opinion is going to be abit bias!
Old Thursday 19th February 2009, 17:16   #100
Paul Dubuc

My favorites:

1. Edward Lear
2. J.J. Audubon
3. Louis Agasssiz Fuertes
4. Edouard Travies
5. J.G. Keulemans
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: