• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

11/15/08 - Pu'u 'O 'Umi NAR and Kipuka 'Ainahou (1 Viewer)

Saturday was a North Kohala volunteer day for Kohala Watershed Partnership. We planted manono in the former pastures, as the first part of the reforestation of a strip of barren pasture between the forest reserve and Kohala Mountain Road.

Afterwards I spent an hour counting Saddle birds along Pu'u 'O'o Trail. (I have very few Saddle counts this autumn) The koa trees are flowering, and 'apapane and 'amakihi counts were high.

Which side of the Saddle Road is the better side on the Pu'u 'O'o trail? I heard it was very good for the native birds, so I took the trail when I visited. I went on the Mauna Loa side and got to a great kipuka beyond which was nothing but lava. That kipuka was absolutely jumping, and I managed to find 'akiapola'au, but since then I got the impression I was on the wrong side of the saddle road! Is there more on the Mauna Kea side?

The North side of saddle road is Pu'u 'O'o Ranch, which is still an active grazing lease. (technically off limits) The trail wanders through grazed forest before entering bare pastures on the way to the ranch. At this point I don't think any of that is open for the public.

The good stuff is all on the South side of the road, towards Mauna Loa until you reach the 1984 lava about 4-5 miles out there. (Beyond which is Keauhou Ranch and Kulani Prison, which are closed to the public) The first mile of the trail is good enough for most native species. 'Akepa and Hawai'i Creeper are more numerous in the largest two kipukas (kipuka ahiu) 3-4 miles out bordering the 1881 pahoehoe lava field, which is the last pahoehoe flow before the big 1984 'a'a lava field. If I'm going out across the 1855 and 1881 lava to the big kipukas I always use Powerline Road.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back