• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1DMk3 fix - Rob Galbraith report online (1 Viewer)

AndyByron

Finally Rob Galbraith has delivered his verdict on the 1DMk3 sub-mirror fix (and firmware v1.1.3).

And the verdict is - much improved but could do better. (this is all based on testing new "blue dot" cameras - no testing done on faulty cameras that have had the fix)

In summary, he seems to conclude that the "twitchiness" has been largely resolved and that the AI-Servo is much more stable in hot conditions. It outperforms the 1D2n for indoor sports photography, but AI-Servo accuracy still lags behind the 1D2n in outdoor sports in bright sunshine.

He seems to conclude that both the hardware fix and 1.1.3 have made significant improvements and are each worth having individually.

See full report here

And the verdict is - much improved but could do better. (this is all based on testing new "blue dot" cameras - no testing done on faulty cameras that have had the fix)[/URL]

Not so. He says
"Yes. We've shot with three EOS-1D Mark IIIs with fixed sub-mirror mechanisms; two were selected by Canon in Japan for us to test, the third was obtained independently."

Its an interesting report. It seems for those who shoot primarily in bright sun, it is not as good AF as the Mark II. For those who shoot in less light it is as good or better, especially in low light.

A lot of excellent photographers on Netscape give the Mark III high marks (Chas Glatzer and Brian Downing for instance) including "fixed" bodies. Other still seem to have problems.

I am interested in this camera, it has many features that would be very helpful for what I shoot, but I want to let things play out a bit. No one wants a $4500 paperweight.

Not so. He says
"Yes. We've shot with three EOS-1D Mark IIIs with fixed sub-mirror mechanisms; two were selected by Canon in Japan for us to test, the third was obtained independently."

Its an interesting report. It seems for those who shoot primarily in bright sun, it is not as good AF as the Mark II. For those who shoot in less light it is as good or better, especially in low light.

A lot of excellent photographers on Netscape give the Mark III high marks (Chas Glatzer and Brian Downing for instance) including "fixed" bodies. Other still seem to have problems.

I am interested in this camera, it has many features that would be very helpful for what I shoot, but I want to let things play out a bit. No one wants a $4500 paperweight.

As we are being pedantic...don't you mean Naturescapes and Greg Downing? ;)

Not so. He says
Yes, I read it that way at first. But at the end of the article (just before the picture sequences) he states:
"The three EOS-1D Mark IIIs we've tested for this update were manufactured with a properly functioning sub-mirror, they were not earlier bodies that had been through the sub-mirror repair process. We've had requests to test a repaired camera as well, and the suggestion is a good one. But because of a backlog of particularly non-website work, we're not able to properly test a repaired body at this time and can't commit to doing so anytime soon."

So, I guess he means the cameras were manufactured with the "fixed" sub-mirror design, as opposed to the cameras having their sub-mirror fixed.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me as I'm in the same situation of wondering whether to upgrade to a new 1DMk3. We don't have too many days of 42C temperatures in the UK and days of bright sunshine are few and far between, so I'm still tempted. I was just hoping for a clear endorsement of the AF from the guy who did so much to investigate and document the problems. As you say, its a lot of money!

As we are being pedantic...don't you mean Naturescapes and Greg Downing? ;)

I don't know about "we" but your little corrections sure seem pedantic.

The mark III could be an amazing camera for many photographers particularly for the possibilities of obtaining great images in low light. This is an area that interests me as much of what I do is under those conditions.

I was hoping for some informed discussion from others in this area, but if you prefer to add trivial sniping comments instead, feel free. I'll take them for what they are worth.

I don't know about "we" but your little corrections sure seem pedantic.

The mark III could be an amazing camera for many photographers particularly for the possibilities of obtaining great images in low light. This is an area that interests me as much of what I do is under those conditions.

I was hoping for some informed discussion from others in this area, but if you prefer to add trivial sniping comments instead, feel free. I'll take them for what they are worth.

Easy tiger! Note the smiley...sounds like someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning! :eek!:

To be all serious and precise for you Harold, I was making a joke at the way you started your post correcting someone else and then made a couple of mistakes yourself - Netscape and Naturescapes are very different things and if you are citing someone as an experienced photographer, you could at least get their name right!

Last edited:
Yes, I read it that way at first. But at the end of the article (just before the picture sequences) he states:
"The three EOS-1D Mark IIIs we've tested for this update were manufactured with a properly functioning sub-mirror, they were not earlier bodies that had been through the sub-mirror repair process. We've had requests to test a repaired camera as well, and the suggestion is a good one. But because of a backlog of particularly non-website work, we're not able to properly test a repaired body at this time and can't commit to doing so anytime soon."

So, I guess he means the cameras were manufactured with the "fixed" sub-mirror design, as opposed to the cameras having their sub-mirror fixed.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me as I'm in the same situation of wondering whether to upgrade to a new 1DMk3. We don't have too many days of 42C temperatures in the UK and days of bright sunshine are few and far between, so I'm still tempted. I was just hoping for a clear endorsement of the AF from the guy who did so much to investigate and document the problems. As you say, its a lot of money!

yes, I think you're right. I suppose it doesn't matter as you say, except for resale.

I'm in the same boat as you on this, I'm just ready to plunk down money for it, but I need to feel more confident it is not going to be a lemon.

Easy tiger! Note the smiley...sounds like someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning! :eek!:

To be all serious and precise for you Harold, I was making a joke at the way you started your post correcting someone else and then made a couple of mistakes yourself - Netscape and Naturescapes are very different things and if you are citing someone as an experienced photographer, you could at least get their name right!

Actually I know his name quite well. I had been having an online discussion with someone who owns a mark III and put in his first name by accident. Tragic really, lucky you were there to correct it.

I guess I missed the smiley. Thats one of the great things about the internet, you can make any sort of rude remark and all is forgiven with the smiley.

|=)|

It might be worth just waiting on this camera, the retail price is dropping like a stone now that the initial buying surge has rescinded. I always thought that it was over-priced for a 10-mega-pixelled camera, regardless whether the AF worked or not.

There’s a good chance this camera will be replaced with a ‘fixed’ version and a bigger sensor next year. It would be great to get away from the prefix MK numbers, to proper model numbers, ie 6D etc.

The publicity this camera has had over the AF, has not done it any favours, come the future second hand market would anybody pay the asking price?

It must be pretty upsetting splashing all that dosh on what's supposed to be be THE camera to own and then having to put up with faults etc? Its like the guy's who bought Aston Martins and they spent 10 months a year in the garage being repaired? Personally if i had the cash to buy the latest top of the range anything i would wait or buy the previous model that's been tested and any faults ironed out etc.
I spoke to a guy a few weeks ago and he does wedding video's professionally and he is having similar problems with his equipment, he traded his old gear in when he got more work and the new Canon Video camera's are playing up resulting in him losing work etc.
The Canon supplier lent him a couple of replacements and both of them packed up midway through a shoot (he finished the shoot using one of the guests Sony camcorder otherwise the bride would have skinned him alive)!
I have just changed my letter to santa to "Please Santa can i have a Canon 1D Mk2" to be on the safe side.
Cheers
Brian

I have a 1D Mk3, and have been pleased with the results i have had, im still sending it in to be fixed though ! i dont want it to fail on me in the conditions they are seeing the issues in. Luckily we dont get many days liek that in the UK though ;)

Just waiting for Canon service centre to get back to me and tell me when i can get the body to them. I already have 1.1.3 installed but havent had the weather or time to get out and see what difference it has made.

1.1.3 has delivered a clear improvement in AF performance for me. Not light and day, but quite noticable. I will have to wait till I get back home in January to send it in for the sub-mirror fix, but the firmware update alone has been worthwhile.

I sent back my body last week and am waiting for it to come back. I did not want to send it as my autofocus has always worked great and I have nailed some great images this summer, but it is a warranty issue so I have no choice. My opinion on this is that their maybe a bigger problem at source with this batch of cameras and this may not be a total fix. Of course time will tell but the truth is that this whole episode has cost Canon dear. I have just been testing the 1Ds MK3 this week and remain unconvinced that the autofocus is better than my 1DS MK2. On the flip side shooting with the Nikon D3 as a test for Warehouse Express it has been a pleasure and the AF is every bit as good as my 1DS MK2.

Last edited:
Canon are still tweaking the FW fix 1.1.4 is said to be comeming out soon just read it on the POTN forum.
i am very happy with 1.1.3 on a Blue Dot it has made a vast diffrence but i still feel it could be little better .
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back