• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Blue Tit nests (1 Viewer)

Mark Harper

World Birder
I put up this box hoping for Tree Sparrows, but they have never shown any interest in it. Blue Tits however are occupying the centre and right holes, when the nests were being built I watched an individual bird going into both holes with sheep’s wool that I had put out for them. I looked in a couple of weeks ago and there were c10 eggs in each.

Today when I was looking I could see a Blue Tit with its head out of the right hole holding a caterpillar, it came out and went to the centre hole and passed the caterpillar to the bird in that hole, which then went into the right hole and didn’t reappear in the time I was watching.

Anyone got any idea what is going on?

Attachments

• 56DCF03C-DB57-4EFB-967E-C9FB51910FE4.jpeg
    56DCF03C-DB57-4EFB-967E-C9FB51910FE4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Nice!

Weird that you have two nests. I would have thought that only one would get occupied because these birds are territorial. Perhaps the male has two females? But why flying out of one with a caterpillar and delivering it to the other?

Perhaps in one box the eggs haven't hatched yet and no female incubating, so he goes to the other box. Or both nests have eggs but one nest has been abandoned?

All pure speculation, but fascinating

I put up this box hoping for Tree Sparrows, but they have never shown any interest in it. Blue Tits however are occupying the centre and right holes, when the nests were being built I watched an individual bird going into both holes with sheep’s wool that I had put out for them. I looked in a couple of weeks ago and there were c10 eggs in each.

Today when I was looking I could see a Blue Tit with its head out of the right hole holding a caterpillar, it came out and went to the centre hole and passed the caterpillar to the bird in that hole, which then went into the right hole and didn’t reappear in the time I was watching.

Anyone got any idea what is going on?
Hi Mark,

What was the outcome of your nest/s?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back