• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will the blue tit return? (1 Viewer)

1. Hello, we have had a blue tit roosting in our nest box for the past 8 nights. I think today she may have spotted the camera as she flew up and started staring right at it and then she flew out the box and hasn’t been back. I have read that maybe she spotted her reflection and thinks another tit has taken over the box and she probably won’t be back. Do you think this is the case? There is a little plastic covering on 1 side of the box which I have now covered over with some waterproof black material to stop any glare from the sun going onto the camera (she has been coming in while it is still a bit light and some sun is still up) . I have stuck it down with some yellow tape. Do you think this will help or should I just leave it as it was before as the side of the box looks a bit different now? I’m at a loss of what to do and really hope she comes back.

Hi Kerri and a warm welcome to you .

Seeing its' reflection was my first thought but my next thought was that you should find a tape the color of the box or a bit drab as the color yellow might put it off. Good luck and let us know if it comes back. Fingers crossed.

Hello and thank you so much for your reply. It’s very much appreciated. So, you definitely think I should keep the black waterproof material covering the plastic transparent little window on then and just change the yellow tape?

Welcome to Birdforum.

I would remove the covering and leave the box well alone. Interfering with it is likely to put birds off using it.

We have a nest box which sounds the same as yours. We’ve also had blue tits looking at the camera and it’s not deterred them from returning to the box and using it.

Thank you so much. I will remove the cover. Would you suggest maybe covering the camera with something in case it was a case of her seeing her reflection and that’s why she flew off? If so, what would you suggest ( something see through as would still like to see her if she comes back) please or should I leave the camera alone as well?

Hello again, just a quick update. I’m so happy to say that the blue tit has come back and only stayed away for 1 night. Thank you so much again for your advice. It’s so lovely watching her again xx

I’ve had a blue tit going in and out of its nest but has gone out and not returned for about 1 - 2 hours now. What happened?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back