• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 months in the French Pyrenees (migration) (1 Viewer)

Johny121

Birds
From July 31st to October 2nd I worked in the village of Salechan situated on the outskirts of the French Pyrenees. At first I was disappointed with my geographical location; the mountains “proper” were just a couple of KM away, but this soon changed. Over the two months I was fortunate to experience some great migration as birds seemingly decided to go west around the valley I was in rather than head through it, resulting in a good number of species over the house! I had been birding twice before in the Pyrenees and therefore due to having seen the main target birds and being limited on free time did not go hunting after wallcreeper, alpine accentor or snowfinch.
The main passage of birds seemed to happen between 11.30-1230pm, especially in the case of Black kites, Honey buzzard generally moved at around 2pm, Black storks came through at any time past midday including in the evening. I will list the notable sightings of my trip but after an initial mention will omit commoner species from my day’s totals.

My Bird total was 99 species. Butterflies- around 40 identified with at least another 40 that went unchecked. Mammals included: red squirrel, red and roe deer and sadly dead pine marten, badger and mole.

August 2nd.
This was the first day of movement which started with 13 black kite west at around Midday, a small trickle of five honey buzzards were noted in the afternoon. Griffon vultures were ubiquitous throughout the whole trip and any glance upwards would generally produce half a dozen. A walk in the local woodland produced great spotted and green woodpecker, wren, robin, great and blue tit, marsh tit, coal tit and spotted flycatchers. Opposite the chateau a red-backed shrike was flushed and black redstarts chased each other around the rooftops.
1000s of common swift came through during the afternoon and two adult Egyptian vultures sailed overhead in the late afternoon at around 6pm.
Other birds noted around the chateau included Red kite, common buzzard, booted eagle and hobby.

Butterflies are not my strongpoint but scores of Silver-washed fritillaries, white admirals, comma, large white, clouded yellow and marbled white sp, swallowtail, scarce swallowtail, hummingbird hawkmoth were noted.

4th.

No movement today, but 5 Egyptian vultures were seen including a 2nd year bird, 2 dropped down into the trout lakes. New birds around the village included Serin and goldfinch.

5th

120 Black kite cruised over at 11.40am all heading west and many low over the house. The local booted eagle was joined by two more including a dark morph bird. Perhaps these were early migrants moving through? A walk behind the village produced a black woodpecker. A favourite of mine, but sadly only seen briefly. A grey wagtail was noted on a rooftop.

6th
Between 575-600 black kite came over just before Midday, truly great to see so low over the house. A walk at nearby St. Betrand de Cominges produced 2 stork sp. which without my bins were too high to identify and a calling but sadly elusive wryneck.

8th.

Whilst swimming in the pool a hobby raced over mobbing a booted eagle. A small trickle of honey buzzards passed through with 13 black kite. A first summer pied flycatcher was the forerunner of what was to be good numbers of this attractive bird later on. 2 Egyptian vultures sailed by in the afternoon again and a red squirrel was noted in the woods.

10th
An early pre-work walk produced 3 red deer, 4 red-backed shrike including 3 juvenile birds and 3 common sandpipers and a grey heron. A sparrowhawk was the only new bird.

13th
20 Black kites moved through and a willow warbler was seen in the village.

14th

A walk at the foot of the Pic du Gar produced both Alpine and Red-billed Chough, a goshawk and a Lammergeier with 5 Griffon vultures. It was an adult bird and I was quite surprised to see one so near the edge of the mountains. A snake sp. was “flushed”.

16th
20 Black kites game through and another pied flycatcher was noted in the village. A brown argus was also seen.

17th
2 Firecrest were seen in the garden’s Yew tree.

18th
A kingfisher was seen briefly on the River Ourse. Linnet and stonechat were new birds for the local area as were 2 bullfinch, both juveniles.

19th
A goshawk was seen sparring with two Ravens over the house. Pied flycatcher numbers increased significantly.

24th
10 Honey buzzard west at 2pm.

25th
16 Honey buzzard went west. Cirl buntings were noted in a stubble field as was a female Ortolan bunting with a flock of c.40 house sparrows. Spotted flycatcher and pied fly were everywhere and nuthatch and mistlethrush alone with treecreeper were noted.

27th
A male Redstart was noted along with a 1st year bird. 3 crested tit were in the woods as was a songthrush.

28th
5 Whinchat were seen roosting in a maize field along with a couple of tree pipit. A purple heron was flushed from the trout ponds.

29th
A trip to the Port de Bales was productive despite the terrible weather. 10 Marsh harriers were moving just after midday. A first year Montagu’s harrier was seen well but a Montagu’s/Pallid was seen briefly only on silhouette. Skylark, water pipit and many kestrel were also added.

30th
A day off meant a trip to Lac D’Oo. The bushes were dripping with Whinchat and redstart early on and crested tits called from the woodland. Crag martin was added as was Dunnock. Around 100 honey buzzard moved south through the day with approx. the same amount of black kite. 2 golden eagles were seen from the cafe and a single adult Lammergeier was noted late afternoon. An Apollo butterfly was a treat after reaching 1800m +.

6th
After a few days of nothing, passerine migration picked up after some bad weather during the night. A cold grey morning’s walk produced several tree pipit, whinchat and 2 Icterine warbler giving prolonged views on a fence.

8th

Another walk in the afternoon at the Pic Du Gar produced a Lammergeier, presumably the same adult, several mistle thrush and song thrush, 3 sparrowhawk and chiffchaff. As well as my 2nd Apollo butterfly.

11th
The nearby horse paddock held c10 yellow wagtail, feeding alongside grey and white wagtails. The only Whitethroat of the trip was seen briefly and an increase in Common redstart was noted. Blackcaps were seen busily feeding alongside them.

12th

A common snipe was flushed from a field.

14th
The highlight of the day was the regular hobby chasing a juvenile goshawk low over the house. 4 Whinchat were seen together on a telegraph wire.

15th

3 Honey buzzard including a pale juvenile headed west. 6 Cormorant also flew west, presumably moving between trout ponds. 70 beeeaters headed south high up, alerting me with their calls. Several hundred Barn swallows went west, shadowed by a hobby. A kestrel was also spotted high heading south.

18th
Two Black stork headed west at midday. The poor weather was forcing them very low over the adjacent hilltops.

19th
A lone juvenile black stork was seen at 5pm heading west along with a single marsh harrier. An hour later a flock of 6 more black stork also headed west.

20th

A lazy, muggy day kept me in the garden rather than going for a walk. A Lammergeier drifted over at 11.30am, 35 more beeeaters headed due south at midday and two flocks of Black stork (4 + 5) went west shortly after. Sparrowhawk migration was underway with 3 heading west together and a single local bird hunting around the village.
LAMMERGEIER over house

22nd
A clear and warm day of migration started well with an Osprey heading west at about 11.00 am, a total of 16 red kite moved west shortly after with sparrowhawks also moving through in singles. In the afternoon two short-toed eagles headed west along with a marsh harrier and 2 black storks. In the evening another short-toed eagle headed west with a further 7 black storks at around 6.20pm. A large flock of roosting swallows was sadly shot at repeatedly over the adjacent fields.

23rd
12 Cormorants headed west late morning. 2 Black storks and 9 red kite also moved west in the afternoon.

24th
13 Red kite headed west at midday, flying very low over the house. A walk up to 1700m near the Col de Mente produced many griffon vultures, c.100 alpine chough, raven, northern wheatear, water pipit and an insanely low Lammergeier; its shadow engulfing me as it went over my head.

I hope that is report has been of interest to some, please feel free to pm for any information!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back