• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Orchid ID Please

A birding trip to the Cairngorms and Outer Hebrides opened our eyes to the beauty and variety of orchids last year and now, after 10 years managing a 0.5 acre plot as a hay meadow followed by 20 years managing it as a "summer flowering meadow" (removing mowings), we have been rewarded with only our second orchid species (we've had Bee Orchids on and off on another area for a few years but none this year).

We're near Cottenham in Cambridgeshire on a fairly heavy sandy clay loam.

It's 2 metres from the edge and shaded by woodland/orchard most of the day on an area that may have been mown as a path occasionally but otherwise has normally been cut twice in the spring then cut and cleared in the autumn. I spotted it before the late May cut this year - so it may have been around in previous years but lost to the mower.

Apart from an ID, we'd welcome a steer on cutting regime for the future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84722755@N08/

Attachments

• rsz_imgp3932.jpg
    rsz_imgp3932.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 84
A birding trip to the Cairngorms and Outer Hebrides opened our eyes to the beauty and variety of orchids last year and now, after 10 years managing a 0.5 acre plot as a hay meadow followed by 20 years managing it as a "summer flowering meadow" (removing mowings), we have been rewarded with only our second orchid species (we've had Bee Orchids on and off on another area for a few years but none this year).

We're near Cottenham in Cambridgeshire on a fairly heavy sandy clay loam.

It's 2 metres from the edge and shaded by woodland/orchard most of the day on an area that may have been mown as a path occasionally but otherwise has normally been cut twice in the spring then cut and cleared in the autumn. I spotted it before the late May cut this year - so it may have been around in previous years but lost to the mower.

Apart from an ID, we'd welcome a steer on cutting regime for the future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84722755@N08/

Hi Alan

That is Common Spotted Orchid, Dactylorhiza fuchsia

Sean

But you do need a permit!

The Chilterns site is on private land, and is protected as a nature reserve. Since the small number of flowering plants (usually about 6-7) were vandalised (trampled, picked and flowering spikes broken off) in 2010, they, too are in an enclosure which is not accessible. the enclosure is well off any footpaths and quite difficult to find in the wood if you do not have specific directions.

Sean

Note, however, that there are a few BBO Wildlife Trust open days when you can legitimately visit the site. At least, there were last year - haven't checked for this year. Advance booking required to secure permit. Interestingly, the guy who showed us round mooted that the RHs here were not native, but had been caught up as seeds when the (French origin) beech was planted. Shades of Norfolk CLTs?

James

Some titbits from Scotland over the past fortnight:

- Pugsley's/'Hebridean' marsh orchid: two rosettes and one tiny budding spike at a N Uist site on 30 May. (Late spring: machair well behind.)

- Lesser twayblade: 8 or so at a RSPB Abernethy site.

- Streets of Kincardine site: far too early. Leaves of heath spotted and heath fragrant orchid, but nowt else that I could find.

- Creeping Lady's Tress: located one line of rosettes in RSPB Abernethy, three of which had developed into spikes that were a long way from flowering.

- coralroot orchid: 5 Spey bay, but hard to find. I only saw the first two because I bumped into a local botanist who had found the season's first two days previously. Then found three more in the vicinity. Last year's group of 13 has not (yet) emerged.

Sean

Many thanks.

We'll get a steer from our local Wildlife Trust on cutting regimes to promote Common Spotted and Bee Orchids.

alan

The hybrid between white and sword-leaved helleborine (Cephalanthera x shulzei) has been spotted in Hampshire (not by me!). See WAB site for pics & details...

But you do need a permit!

To clarify the position of Red Hell in England, there are three recent sites.

The Hampshire site has not had records since 2004 now. Even then, visitors are not encouraged into the main flowering area, which is fenced off with signs barring access. Permission is required by Hampshire County Council, the site managers.

The Gloucestershire site is managed specifically for the plants, and the enclosure is next to a bridleway, giving public access to some nice plants, but unfortunately at distance

The Chilterns site is on private land, and is protected as a nature reserve. Since the small number of flowering plants (usually about 6-7) were vandalised (trampled, picked and flowering spikes broken off) in 2010, they, too are in an enclosure which is not accessible. the enclosure is well off any footpaths and quite difficult to find in the wood if you do not have specific directions.

Rumours of a fourth site so far have not been proven true, with hinted at places having been checked in recent years with nothing found.

Given the above, I'd always recommend the Gloucs site to anyone desperate to see them in the UK.

Sean

I was at the Hampshire site the other day and there's no sign that there might be any plants coming. I am sure if there were plants there would be some cages in place by now but nothing . At the Chiltern site permits have been available in the past and you would be able to see the flowers quite easily from outside the enclosure. I've never been to the Gloucs site.

The hybrid between white and sword-leaved helleborine (Cephalanthera x shulzei) has been spotted in Hampshire (not by me!). See WAB site for pics & details...

The existance of the hybrid was reported on this forum by gpg on the 3rd June.

There are two outstanding spikes of Cephalanthera x schulzei at the main helleborine site.

Having looked at the WAB forum I'm far from convinced by the "totally intermediate in all respects" argument for determination of a hybrid.

As far as I'm aware the criteria for determination of an orchid hybrid includes "distinctive characteristics of more than one parent".

Having said that I went to the site on Thursday and found what I believe is a strong contender for hybrid status, the plant is distinctly White Helleborine from soil level up to the flower spike, and also has typical White Helleborine bracts to the top of the spike. The flowers however are absolutely typical of Sword-leaved helleborine, snowy-white with long pointed sepals adopting the typical curved shape of Sword-leaved.

I have passed on the location of the plant and asked for a second opinion, I'll update in due course.

Alan

Last edited:
I was at the Hampshire site the other day and there's no sign that there might be any plants coming. I am sure if there were plants there would be some cages in place by now but nothing . At the Chiltern site permits have been available in the past and you would be able to see the flowers quite easily from outside the enclosure. I've never been to the Gloucs site.

Hants CC rely on people like us to look for them. The last few times I've been they had previously had a cursory search, but gave me permission to go into the fenced off area in the hope that I'd find the plants for them.

Yes, permits are available for the Chilterns Red hells, but as per my previous post, this makes the Gloucs site the most accessible, and therefore the best for anyone wishing to see the species in England.

Sean

Quick update on Derbyshire Burnt Orchids, at the two main sites, form Thursday

First site, where there are normally small numbers (20-30) if they don't get grazed by cows, there were 68 in perfect flower.

At the main site, less well advanced and not in full flower yet, at least 228 plants. My expectation is there will be more when the site if fully formed, so to speak.

Both sites are in private fields off footpaths, and unfortunately the farmers at both are a little tetchy!

Regards

Sean

heakl said:
Having looked at the WAB forum I'm far from convinced by the "totally intermediate in all respects" argument for determination of a hybrid.

As far as I'm aware the criteria for determination of an orchid hybrid includes "distinctive characteristics of more than one parent".

Alan

A big problem in determining hybrids is deciding how much a feature is within the range of variance of Species A and when it becomes diagnostic of Species B.

I'm not that familiar with the cephalanthera hellebories as they are not that common in my local area and so I don't see them regularly or in any number. I have to rely on what the fieldguides say, and they don't seem to be totally consistent. As an example, the length of the bracts in Sword-leaved;

Turner Ettlinger says they are short and absent from the uppermost flowers [my italics].
Harrap says very short at tip of spike.
Lang says smaller than ovary.

Lang also mentions Sword-leaved having a blind shoot at the apex of the flower stalk.

That gets me to the attached pictures, clearly a Sword-leaved type flower and even a blind shoot at the tip. Those bracts are clearly shorter than the ovary but are they 'very short', clearly not absent! And it seems to have an oval basal leaf, even though I tried my hardest to get it out of the shot!

Anyone like to cooment?

Another confused area is the ridges on the epichile;

Turner Ettlinger says White has fewer, 3 or 4, rarely 5, shallow valleys and Sword-leaved has 5 or 6, rarely 7, well defined ridges.
Harrap says similar, 3-5 ridges and furrows for White and 5-7 ridges for Sword.
Lang says the opposite, with White having 5 and Sword-leaved only 3.

Anyone got a view on which is correct?

Lang actually describes x schulzii as follows;
Leaves broad and ridged, flowers few in number borne parallel to stem on long stalks, pure white. Long perianth segments slightly spreading. labellum with three orange ridges. Ovary intermediate in thickness but showing a twist through 180 degrees anticlockwise.

There's photos of the flowers of the hybrid in both the Lang Wildguide and in Turner Ettlinger.

Rich M

PS somebody yesterday asked me if I was a photographer. You can see from my attachments why I answered No.

Attachments

• SNV32704.JPG
    SNV32704.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 83
  • SNV32705.JPG
    SNV32705.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 73
Marsh Orchid ID

Anybody like to specifically ID this Marsh Orchid please? West Yorkshire this week.
Thanks.

Attachments

• marsh-orchid-copy.jpg
    marsh-orchid-copy.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 91
Lesser Twayblade - N.Wales

Armed with very helpful directions, we conducted a lengthy but ultimately fruitful search in moorland in Gwynedd for Lesser Twayblade.

We may just be losing our grip, but even the Bog Orchid seemed easy compared to this little treasure. Honesty compels me to acknowledge that it took us nearly 4 hours to find our first plant!

But it was well worth persevering. We found several plants growing in the sphagnum moss and sometimes under the eaves of the maturer, leggy heather. The first was still in bud, but other plants were flowering nicely. Doubtless there were many others, but we contented ourselves with the 7 or 8 plants which we saw.

Photography was as much of a challenge as finding the plants, but Elaine did her best.

Martin

Attachments

• Lesser Twayblade Lake Vrynwy 22.jpg
    Lesser Twayblade Lake Vrynwy 22.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Lesser Twayblade Lake Vrynwy 15.jpg
    Lesser Twayblade Lake Vrynwy 15.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 94
Warwickshire update

Trip round Warwickshire sites today
Greater Butterfly still mostly in bud - only found two partially open - I'd give it another week
First spotted spotted
Man - at peak
Bee - tight bud
Twayblades - fine
Narrow leaved helleborines - probably just about to go - some had the same black spots that the chiltern red helleborines had last year

Attachments

• butterfly 2as.jpg
    butterfly 2as.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 57
  • man 1as.jpg
    man 1as.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 73
  • sword 5as.jpg
    sword 5as.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 57
Dactylorhiza viride, Denbighshire

Last year we visited a couple of Shrophire and N. Wales sites looking for Frog Orchids. We gave up after much exhaustive crawling and kneeling at sites supposedly crawling with them ;)
Today looking for another recorded site we found them nearby in old abandoned limestone workings. There were perhaps a 100 of them, mainly growing on sloping ground.
There were some D. fuschii in bud, but one was in full flower, some L. ovata with tight buds and a solitary O. mascula in full flower (I expected more of them).

It was nice to see a number of Dingy Skippers feeding on the yellow vetch too.

Attachments

• viride1.jpg
    viride1.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 86
  • viride2.jpg
    viride2.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 76
  • viride3.jpg
    viride3.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Last year we visited a couple of Shrophire and N. Wales sites looking for Frog Orchids. We gave up after much exhaustive crawling and kneeling at sites supposedly crawling with them ;)
Today looking for another recorded site we found them nearby in old abandoned limestone workings. There were perhaps a 100 of them, mainly growing on sloping ground.
There were some D. fuschii in bud, but one was in full flower, some L. ovata with tight buds and a solitary O. mascula in full flower (I expected more of them).

It was nice to see a number of Dingy Skippers feeding on the yellow vetch too.

I think the only reliable site for Frog orchids in Shropshire is on a private field owned by an elderly couple living in Pant (near Llanymynech rocks). Contact the Wildlife trust if you wish to organise a visit. I went last year and they were very happy to show me the plants.

Mike

I've read that D. viride are pollinated by a number of flying insects, but has anybody recorded ants fulfilling that role?

Steve

Attachments

• ant.jpg
    ant.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 91
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back