• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

The lip pattern, with clearly defined loops, indicates Common Spotted, so I'd say it's a hybrid between that and Southern Marsh, which is common where both - or either - species occur

Thanks for this. My Leopard Spotted was a hopeful guess. However this year at least the Southern Marsh there are in full flower, but the Common Spotted are not even showing any colour yet. If this the same each year wouldn't hybridisation be less likely?
There are some more possible hybrids at the same site. Known orchids there are also include Northern Marsh and Early Marsh var coccinea. I'd appreciate any guesses as to the identity of this trio. All have rather short flower spikes but the grass cover was quite short.

Attachments

• Nob End hybrid-005.jpg
    Nob End hybrid-005.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Nob End hybrid.jpg
    Nob End hybrid.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Nob End hybrid-008.jpg
    Nob End hybrid-008.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for this. My Leopard Spotted was a hopeful guess. However this year at least the Southern Marsh there are in full flower, but the Common Spotted are not even showing any colour yet. If this the same each year wouldn't hybridisation be less likely?
There are some more possible hybrids at the same site. Known orchids there are also include Northern Marsh and Early Marsh var coccinea. I'd appreciate any guesses as to the identity of this trio. All have rather short flower spikes but the grass cover was quite short.

Well the first two both look like Northern Marsh - a species I'm not that familiar with, but the diamond shaped lip, reddish markings on the lip and flat top inflorescence all seem to point towards that.

If I saw the third one locally I'd put it down as a Southern Marsh.

Rich M

Well the first two both look like Northern Marsh - a species I'm not that familiar with, but the diamond shaped lip, reddish markings on the lip and flat top inflorescence all seem to point towards that.

If I saw the third one locally I'd put it down as a Southern Marsh.

Rich M

Thanks Rich

I agree with you on the colouring being NMO on the first two. I have plenty of other photos with good examples of NMO from the same outing. However I was drawn to the 'hands up' lateral sepals of the first photo, while the second's lip patterns are different to the local NMOs; more fragmented.
The third though has an unpatterned lip and is purple in colour compared to the local Southerns' general pinkish shades.

Reminder: Ticks are about, I found ten "seed ticks" on my clothes today, and two were actively knawing on me when I got home. DEET is a good way to deter them (try Mosquit-ex). Remember to tuck your trousers into your socks, and shirt into trousers. Ticks carry Lyme Disease. If you get a target shaped rash, go see the quack! Needless to say I'd forgotten my Mosquit-ex, and hadn't remembered to tuck my trousers into my socks...

In Hampshire today, in addition to a host of hungry ticks, there were: Two Musks in reasonable flower, most in bud; Fragrant mostly in flower, but plenty in bud; Common Spotted mostly in good condition; and plenty of Common Twayblade, mostly starting to go over. The Pyramidals are all still in bud. No Bee or Frog that I could see.

I have reports that the Bee Orchids and Southern Marsh at Barnes WWT are all looking good.

Bee orchids Glan Conwy RSPB

After only finding a few small plants a week ago , i ventured out on the estuary path and found another dozen or so ...some really nice ones too . Though very close to the path and i fear they are certainly going to be stumbled upon by the unwitted ....

A few Bee's now flowering at RSPB Radipole Lake in Weymouth. So far just one is of the atrofuscus/fulvafusca variety which is just about to flower nicely.

The third though has an unpatterned lip and is purple in colour compared to the local Southerns' general pinkish shades.

The Southerns down here are a whole range of shades, going from quite pale pink and getting darker. I was looking at them at two different sites this morning and a few really stood out as quite a bright purple. The darker the flower the less patterning on the lip in my experience.

Rich M

Bee Orchids

Finding more Bee Orchids in Essex now the flowers are popping open including the second individual below which is a 'belgarum' of sorts I presume?

Attachments

• bee1.jpg
    bee1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 59
  • belg1.jpg
    belg1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 80
Could well be - helps to know whereabouts in the country the photo was taken.

Rich M

Cheers Rich,it was Northumberland, and apart from a Coral root Orchid its the only other Orchid ive seen this year.

Im a birder, so Orchids are not something ive much experience of, Some ive seen are easy to ID, Birds nest Orchid for example. i appreciate your response, i would like to expand my knowledge.

The only book i have is David Lang, Britains Orchids, (Wild Guides). Any pointers as to Sites and Books would be welcome.

regards brian.

Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know that "Harrap's Wild Flowers" is now published. I got my copy this morning, and it's absolutely fantastic with incredibly clear photos and short descriptions of hundreds of wild flowers including 39 of the orchids, 6 broomrapes and all the other flowers you stumble across whilst hunting orchids. Definitely worth acquiring and taking out with you.
PS This isn't an advert, it's just brilliant.

Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know that "Harrap's Wild Flowers" is now published. I got my copy this morning, and it's absolutely fantastic with incredibly clear photos and short descriptions of hundreds of wild flowers including 39 of the orchids, 6 broomrapes and all the other flowers you stumble across whilst hunting orchids. Definitely worth acquiring and taking out with you.
PS This isn't an advert, it's just brilliant.

Only 39 of the orchids? So is this guide is more of a general overview type publication?

Mike

The best developed of the pyramidals just showing the first bit of colour in Guernsey. No sign of the adjacently located bee orchids yet.

Bristol Lizard site concern

I've just had a look at the Bristol Lizard orchid site and am concerned - I couldn't see any plants, though I'm not brilliant at spotting them and I look from the edge as I don't want to trample about amongst the plants.
What I did see though were quite a few patches of bare soil. This is quite a concern as a few years ago a number of plants were dug up from the site.
The first time I went to this site I saw 15+ plants and each year since the number has diminished.
If anyone one else has been there recently and seen plants appearing please re-assure me.
There are lots of robust Common Spotted and a few Pyramidal showing.
Helen

The best developed of the pyramidals just showing the first bit of colour in Guernsey. No sign of the adjacently located bee orchids yet.

Reading this, it brings home just what a different climate I'm in - thought it may be of some interest to UK orchid folk?

Here in the Algarve both Pyramidal and Bee were finishing a month ago!

Early marsh and Northern Marsh ('cambrensis') in full flower at Ynyslas dunes on Sunday. Pyramidals just coming out.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_9734.JPG
    IMG_9734.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9739.JPG
    IMG_9739.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back