• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (2 Viewers)

Totternhoe Knolls

Had a great evening visit to Totternhoe Knolls in Beds last Weds evening, primarily to look for the Man O's there (only 2 spikes found though but still in good shape - thanks Sphegodes for the excellent directions!). Having never been before it's a beautiful tranquil place and orchid heaven. The Man, Pyramidal, Common Spotted and Twayblade below were all flowering within 6 feet of each other! Couldn't find any Bee's or Musks although I believe there are some. Spotting the tiny Musks among the thousands of Twayblades would be quite a job!

Attachments

• 0N7A0308m.jpg
    0N7A0308m.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 0N7A0318m.jpg
    0N7A0318m.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 0N7A0332m.jpg
    0N7A0332m.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 0N7A0299m.jpg
    0N7A0299m.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 44
Burnt orchid

I wonder whether anyone can help with a pointer to a site for the later flowering Burnt orchid (var aestivalis)?

Martin

Another Bee O site visited today. Its on an industrial estate and lies principally on a grassed verge that looks as if it was mowed just before that could do any damage to the plants! I hope seed sets before the next crop. One plant had 8 flowers, and was growing just off the mowed area.
Many Common Spotted in the untended land behind in the usual range of colours, shapes, patterns and sizes

Attachments

• calypso2.jpg
    calypso2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 38
  • claypso1.jpg
    claypso1.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 49
does anyone know of any sites where bee orchids are growing in large numbers this year? There don't seem to be as many so far this year?

Do they grow at Wye NNR?

Yes is the answer, but not in large numbers. We saw a total of 11 plants at one particular spot on Wednesday.

Been out and about this afternoon and found some very nice large specimens of southern marsh orchids. On the drier sections of the marsh there were a surprising number of bee orchids growing. I found a further 20 bees growing in more typical dry grassland. Some lovely fresh looking plants there. I also found a further ten growing in deep shade! They were mostly still in bud but two had a single open flower each. Nice site which had a lot of other interesting plants growing too.

This week Northumberland

Good numbers of Northern Marsh and Lesser Twayblades at a private site

Attachments

• L1020673.jpg
    L1020673.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 30
  • L1020733.jpg
    L1020733.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 32
  • L1020678.jpg
    L1020678.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 29
  • HPIM2666.jpg
    HPIM2666.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 38
  • HPIM2673.jpg
    HPIM2673.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 44
Late Burnts

Hi all,

The late form Burnt Orchids are out in flower at a site near Seaford, East Sussex. There are still some in tight bud however, but the site is looking good this year. Counted 56 yesterday but many more to come out. Previous highest total for me is 250 spikes.

Late Spider and Lizards looking grand in Kent yesterday, highly recommend a visit this week if you're planning on seeing them. Incredible plants!!

Cors Geirch, Llyn Peninsula

I visited the in-laws this weekend and decided to get some orchid hunting in at the same time. Cors Geirch is a site I have never visited before and I was not disappointed. I accessed from the north end and it took some time to find the first orchids. Totals as follows:

200 heath spotted orchid
20 early marsh orchid (incarnata)
15 lesser butterfly orchids (robust specimens)
7 pugsley's marsh orchid

A nice site but very boggy and difficult to get about.

Kenfig, South Wales

I thought I would spend the morning at Kenfig to see how the orchids were doing. I had the misfortune to meet a chap who was rather aggressive in his protection of the fen orchids. The thing is I was doing nothing wrong. I am sure his heart was in the right place but his attitude and demeanour was all wrong. Very disappointing.... Anyway back to the orchids.

8 fen orchids (good healthy specimens in flower)
200 pyramidal orchids (most coming into flower)
250+ early marsh orchid
southern marsh orchid
common twayblade

Good time to see the fen orchids at the moment. All in good condition.

Managed to find some Birds Nest Orchids in Coed Cilygroeslwyd near Ruthin today. There were two groups totalling 13 flowering stems, further into the wood than other recorded viewings. Most were under yew trees whlie there was less shade and more ground cover than the BNO is said to prefer at the second patch.

Attachments

• BNO.jpg
    BNO.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 41
  • BNO2.jpg
    BNO2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 47
Good couple of weekends in East Anglia. 13 species of Orchid in Norfolk last Saturday and an additional 3 species in Cambridge and Suffolk yesterday. Green-winged and Early Purple Orchids were still hanging on last weekend! Lizard Orchids in good nick although most still a little off flowering, all the Cambs White Helleborines gone over, Greater Butterfly Orchids getting a bit tatty. Very good display of 'coccinea' Early Marsh Orchids now going the same way. Southern Marsh Orchid var 'albiflora' was new for me. A few pics attached.

Attachments

• Greater Butterfly Orchid.jpg
    Greater Butterfly Orchid.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 51
  • Birds-nest Orchid.jpg
    Birds-nest Orchid.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Green-winged Orchid2.jpg
    Green-winged Orchid2.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Early Marsh Orchids.jpg
    Early Marsh Orchids.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Southern Marsh Orchid var albiflora.jpg
    Southern Marsh Orchid var albiflora.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 70
Nothing just over a week ago, I would guess another week or two. Last year they were looking really good w/e 14th July.

I usually visit around 14th but timings are odd this year so wondered how they were doing.

Thank you both for your replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back