• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

spiralis isn't always a very appropriate name!

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_1225_1.JPG
    IMG_1225_1.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1253_1.JPG
    IMG_1253_1.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 65
Given Heakl's post above I though tI would revisit Downe House in Bromley to see if the Violet Helleborines were in flower. 3 weeks ago one plant had a single flower out and other plants had large flower heads of buds about to come out.
So it was reasonable to assume some might still be out.
Unfortunatley they had all been cut off about 6" above the ground, most likely grazed by deer, so I doubt any seed will disperse this year. Shame.

I did find some fantastic fungi though!
Dave

Steve, Alan - what are you on about? All your photos show plants with spiraling flowers!

Mike

Perhaps we could split hairs about these Mike, how straight is straight, what degree of rotation is spiral? I can't answer for Steve but he certainly followed my train of thought, can we just say considerably less rotation than the spiralis norm.

Alan

Perhaps we could split hairs about these Mike, how straight is straight, what degree of rotation is spiral? I can't answer for Steve but he certainly followed my train of thought, can we just say considerably less rotation than the spiralis norm.

Alan

Yes. Having the individual flowers with most facing the same direction seemed to be the norm for those I saw at Llanymynech. It made them very difficult to spot if viewing from 'behind'.

Last edited:
I revisited three ALT sites in the Arnside / Silverdale area of NW England today (with heavy rain ). There were 27 spikes in good condition at one and 2 very small ones at another, the third had none and was very heavily overgrazed.
Chris

Pembrokeshire Spiranthes

Just back from a weekend on the Pembrokeshire coast near Freshwater East. Spent most of the two days searching the cliff-top grasslands around Stackpole NT reserve for ALT. I was not disappointed! Aside from the stunning scenery, I would estimate a population of perhaps 30,000 plants stretching from the east side of Barafundle Bay westwards, to Broad Haven with an incredible concentration of plants on the old dunes of Stackpole Warren. It was difficult to avoid stepping on them. Almost certainly one of the largest UK populations.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1213 (2).JPG
    IMG_1213 (2).JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1247.JPG
    IMG_1247.JPG
    584.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1299 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1299 - Copy.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 110
Just back from a weekend on the Pembrokeshire coast near Freshwater East. Spent most of the two days searching the cliff-top grasslands around Stackpole NT reserve for ALT. I was not disappointed! Aside from the stunning scenery, I would estimate a population of perhaps 30,000 plants stretching from the east side of Barafundle Bay westwards, to Broad Haven with an incredible concentration of plants on the old dunes of Stackpole Warren. It was difficult to avoid stepping on them. Almost certainly one of the largest UK populations.

Mike
That is very impressive Mike. Good pics as well. I wish this species would occur back in Northamptonshire.

Brian Laney.

Mike

Very impressive numbers, look great en masse

Thanks Brian. When was the last record for Northamptonshire then?
We have here in Northamptonshire a recent and unconfirmed report of Autumn Ladies Tresses growing on Farthinghoe Golf Course seen by Cliff Christie. Sadly he passed away so of course cannot get any additional information. I did have a look at the site with permission in 2011 looking for flowering plants or rosettes but sadly turned up nothing. It does not mean it is not there of course. It was also a big golf course to search as well.
The plant was recorded in the 1950's growing on a road verge near Whittlebury. Older records show it was growing on the bomb bunkers just after World War Two on Wittering Airfield. Going further back it was reported in 1847 from the Stamford area where forty years later it was growing on higher ground above Wittering Brook.
So the chances are the species could still be about but like all plants where not seen recently, it is waiting for someone to refind it here in Northamptonshire.

Brian Laney.

Cardiff Autumn Lady's tresses

70 autumn lady's tresses on lawns outside County Hall, Cardiff. Found by the Council Ecologist. This is an isolated population away from the usual coastal sites. As far as I am aware this is a first for the site.

70 autumn lady's tresses on lawns outside County Hall, Cardiff. Found by the Council Ecologist. This is an isolated population away from the usual coastal sites. As far as I am aware this is a first for the site.

ALTs have also been found in the grass outside Torfaen County Hall in Cwmbran, near Cardiff. This is in a report from 2010.

ALTs in New Forest

Rather a late post, but the New Forest tops all the ALT reports I've seen on the forum thus far - there must have been 100,000 of them at one site I visited, and many more at several others, a superb sight, and still going strong last weekend, with more spikes still appearing...

Attachments

• mini-IMG_8344.JPG
    mini-IMG_8344.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 94
  • mini-IMG_8357.JPG
    mini-IMG_8357.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 89
  • mini-IMG_8346.JPG
    mini-IMG_8346.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 109
  • mini-IMG_8334.JPG
    mini-IMG_8334.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 140
Rather a late post, but the New Forest tops all the ALT reports I've seen on the forum thus far - there must have been 100,000 of them at one site I visited, and many more at several others, a superb sight, and still going strong last weekend, with more spikes still appearing...

What an amazing sight - you are very lucky to have seen them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back