• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Lindisfarne Helleborine

This was the HOS Field Trip, it was not cancelled just delayed because of the late flowering. Friday/Saturday should be fine plenty of plants in bud.

Musk Orchids

Could anyone please inform me if the Musk orchids are still ok at Noar hill ?

Or alternatively any site , preferably as north as possible ( I live in n.Wales )

Appreciate any feedback

Probably nothing special but one of a group of three BLH found displaying variegated leaves. Just a nutrients or the odd weather effect?

Attachments

• varg.jpg
    varg.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 43
  • flow.jpg
    flow.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 33
Nice trip out to Mid-Wales today, hosted by the Young Hunter, Mr Leptochila himself.

Bog Orchid numbers were quite good, with 35+ at the first site and 9 at the second - both higher numbers than in previous years.

Bog Orchid is a weird creature - it seems to be limited to tiny portions of habitat, being absent from seemingly identical areas on the same site.

A few pics:

1. A nice flower shot
2. Some idea of how small they are
3. Some idea of how difficult they are to find
4. Looking for flowers
5. The place wasn't that bad!

Attachments

• h-paludosa-flower-elan-22ju.jpg
    h-paludosa-flower-elan-22ju.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 66
  • h-paludosa-finger-22jul13.jpg
    h-paludosa-finger-22jul13.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 69
  • h-paludosa-in-habitat-22jul.jpg
    h-paludosa-in-habitat-22jul.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 77
  • mike-at-elan-22jul13.jpg
    mike-at-elan-22jul13.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 93
  • pont-wan-elan-23july13.jpg
    pont-wan-elan-23july13.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 69
Common Spotted var alpina

Is there anyone on here who is familiar with Common Spotted var alpina, particularly from inland sites, where it is supposed to be hard to distinguish from the nominate form?

When we were recently in Cumbria we visited an old lead mine, high in the Pennines, which is supposed to hold this variety. Like an idiot I didn't bother to research what exactly I should be looking for, other than that they would be pink with wide side lobes, thinking they would be obvious. Doh!

As well as finding a few normal looking Common Spotted I also found these 'things' - not sure if they are those, or some weird hybrids (although nothing else close by), or what.

Anyone help?

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV33294.JPG
    SNV33294.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 29
  • SNV33296.JPG
    SNV33296.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 42
  • SNV33301.JPG
    SNV33301.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 35
  • SNV33304.JPG
    SNV33304.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 41
  • SNV33310.JPG
    SNV33310.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 32
Tyne Helleborine

A few plants in full flower with many more in tight bud,

Attachments

• Tyne Helleborine.jpg
    Tyne Helleborine.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 52
Bog orchids

A few of my pics from yesterday's excursion with the great 'Mr. O.' aka Ghostly Vision. We also visited a hay meadow with a number a Greater Butterfly orchids still in good condition and a great variety of other wildflower species, stunning by the reservoir.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0788 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0788 - Copy.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0886 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0886 - Copy.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 51
Has anyone been to see the Creeping LT in Cumbria? Are they well into flowering?

It would seem that Centrparcs Head Office are saying there are no permits being issued any more.

Cliburn nearby has a small number of plants, but they are still pretty good.

Should have an update in the next couple of days for those interested

GV

Green-flowered Helleborine

According to Harrap Green-flowered
"usually grows singly but occasionally two or three stems may arise together. We have seen a photograph of a group on nine (Killick et al 1998) although such a large cluster may have resulted from the rhizomes of several plants growing together".

That reference is to The Flora of Oxfordshire.

This morning I was checking out a local site for this species. Obviously its going to be a good year; last year there were just a handful whereas this morning I found 18. Best of all nine of those were all in one tight group - not sure if you can count 9 on the photo but I can assure you there were.

All the plants except one were largely still at the bud forming stage, some way off 'flowering'; the other one had just one flower open.

Rich M

PS sorry but I couldn't find anyone to take a photo of me bending over.

Attachments

• SNV33345.JPG
    SNV33345.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 61
  • SNV33358.JPG
    SNV33358.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6931.JPG
    IMG_6931.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 42
New Forest Bog Orchids

My thanks to those who sent me information on Bog Orchid sites in the New Forest (childhood memories I'll pm you). It was hot and humid of course and I got thoroughly soaked but while there I met a gentleman also interested in the orchids and we searched the site together coming up with 6 flowering spikes though I believe there are at least 20 spikes there.
I was quite relieved to find them as they really are hard to spot. They are so small that photographing them is also quite a challenge and to make things that little bit more interesting for me in the photography department I'd left my tripod at home! I must say that once you look at them close-up they are worth looking at.

Attachments

• BOG_O 27031307.jpg
    BOG_O 27031307.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 52
  • BOG_O 28401307.jpg
    BOG_O 28401307.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 53
My thanks to those who sent me information on Bog Orchid sites in the New Forest (childhood memories I'll pm you). It was hot and humid of course and I got thoroughly soaked but while there I met a gentleman also interested in the orchids and we searched the site together coming up with 6 flowering spikes though I believe there are at least 20 spikes there.
I was quite relieved to find them as they really are hard to spot. They are so small that photographing them is also quite a challenge and to make things that little bit more interesting for me in the photography department I'd left my tripod at home! I must say that once you look at them close-up they are worth looking at.

excellent photos!

Heath Spotted?

Found this plant in a colony of Heath Spotted orchids in Cumbria, obvious loop markings on the lip and the leaf markings look somewhere between Heath Spotted spots and Common Spotted bars, had I been able to find a Common Spotted nearby I'd have been inclined to think hybrid but Common Spotted not found.

Heath or hybrid? comments please.

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_9520_1.JPG
    IMG_9520_1.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9527_1.JPG
    IMG_9527_1.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9536_1.JPG
    IMG_9536_1.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 30
Creeping Lady's Tresses

Leifus, plenty of CLT in flower and looking good at Center Parcs, Whinfell today, can't post photos as we're out & about. Also saw them at Cliburn Moss but much harder to find. Tyne Helleborine looking good at Williamston but the midges were a menace.
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back