• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3/28/09 - Pu'u Maka'ala NAR, Army Road Unit (1 Viewer)

The pervasive rain lessened somewhat on Saturday. I have developed a bad habit of sleeping in, so I didn't get out in the morning like I could have. Instead I went to Army Road in Pu'u Maka'ala NAR. I was on my way just before noon, and the weather was actually very pleasant for an outing - cool and mostly overcast, with only occasional sprinkles.

My plan for the day was a few bird counts, a bit of distance estimation practice, some weeding and weed monitoring, fenceline monitoring, checking on the status of rare plants I monitor, and hunting for new ferns. I accomplished all, and returned to the car at sunset wishing I had many hours more to continue. There was one regular hunting group leaving as I started out.

Bird counts averaged at 6 'apapane, 3 Japanese white-eye, 1.5 'oma'o and 1 'elepaio. Otherwise there were 2 i'iwi and a single northern cardinal. I kept an ear out for the Japanese bush warbler that was around the area all autumn and winter, but didn't hear any.

There is a tree near the 'aku unit that makes a very realistic "moo" sound as it sways in the wind which has often caused me pause, thinking I've encountered a cow. Fortunately it was windy enough today that it "moo"ed often enough for me to locate the source of the sound. Usually it does it so sparsely that I can never locate the source, which bugs me because of its incredibly faithful cow sound.

I was out too late for real adventure, and surprised I was able to stay out until sunset. After passing the 'aku unit I hunted around in the mud flats between it and Pu'u Maka'ala. This was once a high biodiversity area, but it has since become weed-infested pig wallow. There are a smattering of plants I don't see much elsewhere, and I'm always looking for more. The four tiny unfenced 'aku plants and the koli'i colony were still there. (photo below) I worry a lot about them as several larger 'aku have been eaten by pigs recently. Unfortunately another of the rare clermontia peleana in the 'aku unit has been crushed by a falling hapu'u frond. Those are an unusually delicate clermontia, and seldom survive being broken.

I pulled a bunch of Japanese anemone, strawberry guava and lilikoi, but when I got down in the weed pit it was pointless to even try with all the thickets of strawberry guava and himalayan raspberry down there. So hard not to keep pulling them...

Trees have been cut down (poached?) along the muddy roads in this area in ones and twos for a while. Saturday I found the worst case yet in a spot along Army Road where four large hapu'u (tree ferns) were poached. (photo below) Of course all of the little native understory plants under them were crushed. A perfect environment for weeds to invade. There was also a new pile of trash left at the parking area at the end of the road. A lot of people here seem to think aluminum cans, plastic bottles, foam lunchboxes, tires and assorted other artificial debris will "biodegrade". It floored me the first time I heard somebody say that.

I have been neglecting Army Road with all of the recent bird surveys, practicing for bird surveys, visits to the other side of Pu'u Maka'ala NAR and giving good-weather priority to Powerline Road. Saturday's trip reminded me that despite many visits I have a lot of territory still to cover in this area, and I should be back soon. However this month is booked up with bird surveys in Kona and a trip to Maui. I'm skipping Sunday outing to prepare for this week's survey in Kona, but I may return to Pu'u Maka'ala on Thursday...weather permitting.

Poached Tree Ferns:
original.jpg

Litter bugs strike:
original.jpg

Koli'i Colony:
original.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back