• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2/16/09 - Pu'u Maka'ala NAR, Army Road (1 Viewer)

Due to a kitchen disaster that kept me up all night I got a very late start on Sunday. Wouldn't you know it but Sunday finally had wonderful Powerline Road weather, and I wasn't able to make use of it. Nope, I had to settle for a quick trip to Pu'u Maka'ala NAR. I decided to hunt a new area for ferns, and stick close to the road. I was particularly interested in finding new filmy ferns. There were just a few distinct species - I'll need to try a wetter area I guess. The area I covered had a nice diversity of plants and few weeds. There were a few uncommon plants such as pala, 'aiea, 'akia and 'anini. I pulled or cut a few dozen strawberry guava which were present in small pockets. There were consistently about 7 'apapane, 3 Japanese white-eye, 2 'oma'o and an occasional 'elepaio. There was one kalij pheasant and one northern cardinal. The weather was wonderful - dry, cool and shady. I collected a number of nice fern and plant photos. My feet also got a good rest after the pounding I gave them scrambling all over Mauna Kea on Saturday.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back