• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

30km south of Madrid, Spain about 2 months ago (1 Viewer)

Sorry about quality of photo, there was some heat haze and camera was at maximum amplification (25x).
I’ve shown it to experts and no joy. Bill was long and thin, tail short and square, seeing it at first without binoculars I thought it was a raptor, obviously not when getting an amplified view.
Any ideas please?

Attachments

• DSC00263.jpeg
    DSC00263.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 113
Sorry about quality of photo. Bird was much much larger than a starling, but shot at some distance. Couldn’t get any closer as there was a body of water in between.

Jackdaw with the bill eaten away at its borders by artifacts? While I'm not 100% certain the silhouette is spot on, I can't reconcile the grey head, and black face and bill with Starling. From what I see, Jackdaws in Spain have grey heads*.

Bill was long and thin, tail short and square
Was this your field impression, or did you judge it from the photo?

EDIT: *not all but many

Last edited:
Jackdaw with the bill eaten away at its borders by artifacts? While I'm not 100% certain the silhouette is spot on, I can't reconcile the grey head, and black face and bill with Starling. From what I see, Jackdaws in Spain have grey heads*.

Was this your field impression, or did you judge it from the photo?

EDIT: *not all but many
Starling. The shape.

Edit: which starling? Presume common but impossible with this image

Users who are viewing this thread

Back