• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

350D and 100-400IS USM (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
going out to play with my new set-up tomorrow (hoping for no rain!) just wondering if anyone has any tips/experiences with this kit, and would like to share some knowledge with me.

settings, technique and tips all appreciated, and i will let you all know how i get on.

will be trying lots of flight shots and static shots.

i know what the set-up is capable of, but i need to get as much info as possible so i can get half as good results that are in the gallery!

thanks.

Have a good day, Salty. The best advice I got applies to learning any new subject - practice, practice, practice and don't try to remember everything at once, just concentrate on one aspect at a time.
We learners may not get the best photos in the world but we enjoy trying and sometimes surprise ourselves.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
John

Yes, as John says, practice is the key. Birds don't always want to play, so don't be disappointed if you get nothing - I've only put one new photo in my gallery in the last 3 weeks (a competition entry) as the weather's been very dull on most days.

Of course, I've got a lot of shots in my gallery already, so I can afford to sit back some times - I appreciate that when you're starting out with new stuff you want to get your money's worth straight away, but just carry your kit with you regularly and the opportunities will present themselves eventually. By practicing all the time you'll be ready to take advantage when a bird does decide to pose!

very dark and overcast today, so not looking good.........

looks like i will be practising on tree stumps and leaves again then!

Keith you are a tease - So who is running a book on price and date ? ;)

All I can say is "take your time Richie" it's a learning curve, learn by your mistakes and with time you will improve.

Last edited:
OK then, check this pic out.

beginers luck or a good set-up, you tell me!

loving the new lens, has made the world of difference changing to a smaller and image stabilised zoom.

first proper day out, and i cant wait to get out again.

Attachments

• 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 225
salty said:
OK then, check this pic out.

beginers luck or a good set-up, you tell me!

loving the new lens, has made the world of difference changing to a smaller and image stabilised zoom.

first proper day out, and i cant wait to get out again.

Congratulations on getting the set up that you wanted. I've had the same set up for about a couple of weeks and am getting mixed results. When the light is good, I mostly get good pictures. When the light is poor, it's hardlies worth trying.

Looking for a bag for that will hold the same set up and maybe's a couple more lenses. Mustn't forget somewhere to put my field guide as well. Any ideas?

Attachments

• JackSnipe@FarPasture_050206.2.jpg
    JackSnipe@FarPasture_050206.2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Bullfinch@ThornleyWoods_050206.jpg
    Bullfinch@ThornleyWoods_050206.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 130
  • GreySquirrel@ThornleyWoods_050206.jpg
    GreySquirrel@ThornleyWoods_050206.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 128
http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/products.php?productId=5012#

i have this rucksack, from jacobs in newcastle.

my 350d with 100-400is lens goes straight in without having to strip it down.

plenty of room for a fieldguide, smaller lenses and cards etc.

and a big pouch on the front, that my nikon (porro prisms too!) fit into - and they aint small, being 10x50.

very well made, as with all lowepro kit.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Yeah, I use the Microtrekker 200 as well - it's amazing how much stuff it will hold: my D70 + Sigma 80-400mm OS, 8x32 roof prism bins, two other lenses, 1.4x adaptor, spare batteries, filters, blower brush, cleaning cloths, snacks, water bottle, mp3 player...

And there's still room to spare.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back