• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 Days in Southern Arizona Late April (3 Viewers)

River Turner

United States
Hello,

Im going to be around the Tuscon area for work and was thinking i might stay in SE Arizona for about 4 days after to look for birds/wildlife. Some of my targets are Five Striped Sparrow, Phainopepla, Elegant Trogon, as many hummingbirds as possible. Just had a few general questions:

1. Im thinking of doing 2 days in Madera Canyon, 1 Day in Patagonia area, and 1 Day in Portal/Cave Creek. Does this sound like too much driving? Should i spend more time in desert/arid habitat?
  2. How are the mountains in April? Is there snow at the higher elevations?
  3. I was thinking of hiring a guide one night for owls/night birding. Would it be better to do this in Madera or Portal? Im mainly interested in Elf owl and Spotted owl, ive seen both pygmy owls.
  4. How realistic is it to see the cool mammals/herps like ringtail/coati/pronghorn/gila monster? Are there other species i should look out for?
  5. Any other tips or sites i should visit?
Thanks!

Hi, first off welcome to the forum. These are just my opinion from living SE of Tucson for 30 years (I left a few years ago).
1. 5 stripe might be very hard to come by, California Gulch near Amado might be your best bet, but it can be impassible in late April if there are spring rains.
2. Snow, if late April should not be a big problem.
3. There has been at least one Elegant Trogon at Patagonia Lake the last few years.
4. If you want Hummingbirds, Patton’s in Patagonia is a good place to go, also Madera Canyon should have a decent amount.
5. The only spotted owl I have seen was in one of the Canyons on Fort Huachuca, can’t help with the Elf Owl.

Others should be weighing in, I know we have a number of members in SE AZ.

If you eliminate Portal/Cave Creek, it's not too much driving. I'd suggest the Huachucas for the 4th day.

Spotted Owl might be possible at Beatty's. Other than that, it's Fort Huachuca as noted by Lisa W.

Hi, first off welcome to the forum. These are just my opinion from living SE of Tucson for 30 years (I left a few years ago).
1. 5 stripe might be very hard to come by, California Gulch near Amado might be your best bet, but it can be impassible in late April if there are spring rains.
2. Snow, if late April should not be a big problem.
3. There has been at least one Elegant Trogon at Patagonia Lake the last few years.
4. If you want Hummingbirds, Patton’s in Patagonia is a good place to go, also Madera Canyon should have a decent amount.
5. The only spotted owl I have seen was in one of the Canyons on Fort Huachuca, can’t help with the Elf Owl.

Others should be weighing in, I know we have a number of members in SE AZ.
Thanks for the detailed response. I thought box canyon was a good place for 5 striped sparrow, but maybe thats only in fall? Seems there arent many recent ebird reports. California gulch doesnt seem too far out of the way so maybe ill check it out. Seems fairly close to spots for buff-collared nightjar too.

I mainly wanted to go to Portal for Blue-throated Mountaingem, but if going to the Huachucas would give me a better shot at spotted owl maybe ill rethink the 4th day.

If you eliminate Portal/Cave Creek, it's not too much driving. I'd suggest the Huachucas for the 4th day.

Spotted Owl might be possible at Beatty's. Other than that, it's Fort Huachuca as noted by Lisa W.
Since both of you suggested the Huachucas, ill definitely do some research on that area. Would be super cool to see spotted owl.

I only knew of California Gulch, and that was when I was there a few weeks ago. Beatty’s and Ash Canyon were my go to places in the Huachuca’s. The problem with trying to see the Spotted Owl there might be getting on post. Not sure the requirements at this moment. Also it is quite a hike to where they were. I would also check with Tucson Audubon they might be able to recommend a guide for the owls.

For 5-stripe, Box and Montosa Canyons will be much better than California Gulch. Closer and more accessible. eBird reports will be your best guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back