• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400mm f5.6 with 1.4x tc (4 Viewers)

So do I buy a Kenko 1.5x and use with my 350d, a Canon 1.4x and a 40d or should I just save up for a bigger lens than the 100-400 ( or the 200-500 tamron) and who volunteers to tell my wife:-O:-O:-O

I have just bought the 400 lens, (I have also the 100 400.) The canon tc1.4 did not work with the latter, but with the pins taped ,it is excellent with the prime lens and the 40d on autofocus. I have used it for the past 2 weeks and the latter photos in my gallery are examples of this combination. The attached picture is the most recent, but Brent Geese are not easy and the weather poor

Attachments

• brentgeesebf1.jpg
    brentgeesebf1.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
The thing is that Ian is using a non reporting Kenko 1.5 tc I believe, which seems to work a lot better than a taped tc.
I had a quick play with someones 400 f5.6 and the kenko 1.5 a couple of weeks ago (on a 400D body) and the AF performance was excellent, even plenty good enough for birds in flight.

I have had my Kenko 1.4 tc and 100-400 combo working and focussing accurately on my 400D but when I upgraded to the 40D this lens combo was a non starter regardless of AF points selected.
I have just taken delivery of the Kenko Teleplus 1.5 tc (Fotosense £59.99)which is a big improvement when auto focussing over the 1.4.
I have even tried them both stacked and the image quality is acceptable though manual focussing is essential.

I tried my 400 f/5.6L with the Tamron 1.4x on my 40D recently, and it worked quite well under good light on subjects that have good contrast (e.g. birds like grebes that have both white & black on their heads). I would have to say that this combo works better on the 350D, but performance and results were quite acceptable with the 40D, too.

Hello all,
I read on an Dpreview forum that the 40D with Kenko 1.4 Pro and Canon 100-400L locks well with the left most three or right most three points, but badly with the centerpoint, toppoint or bottompoint.
I tried it by myself from out of the window with my 40D,1.4xKenko Pro and 400 5.6L and could confirm this: good AF-lock with the three outer points left or right, mediocre AF-lock with more hunting top point and bottom point and very bad AF-lock if at all with the center point.
So for birds flying from left to right, you must take one of the three right points and vice versa. But I didn`t try it for BIF yet.

let me see what you guys find.

Best wishes,
Andreas

Hi Ian/all

some of the pictures of the Kenko 1.5 converters on the web have what seem to be pins?

http://www.twenga.co.uk/prices-Teleplus-MC1.5-KENKO-Teleconverter-lens-385693-0

Is this a new version of the lens or am I looking at the wrong thing? I am about to invest in a Canon 40D with 400mm and wanted this converter as it sounds a good combination with this set up. However if it has pins (albeit taped) would this change the AF ability and IQ? (sorry I'm a novice with converters and DSLR in general!)

thanks Lui

The Kenko 1.5x DG MC converter does have pins for the autofocus and autoexposure to work - just not as many pins as in the Canon/Kenko 1.4x.

The autofocus works without the need to tape the pins but is slower and there is some IQ loss. I use it when I need more reach rather than for most of the time.

There is a Kenko 1.5x AF around as well now. I haven't tried that though so I can't comment on it's performance.

Will I have to tape up with this rig
450d + Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DG Teleconverter 1.4x + 400mm f5.6 lens

Last edited:
The Pro 300 1.4x has the higher specification product as it has 5 glass elements as opposed to the 1.5x which has just 4. That said, I have never compared the two side by side.

I know this has been asked before, but I cant find the thread.

Which pins do you tape up Camera/Teleconverter, and is sellatape
OK, I have seen a image somewhere on the forum.

I just took this image on my garage roof 450d + 1.4 kenko pro 300 + 400 f5.6 been
cropped in DPP and been through PE 1/640 f8.0 400 ISO MF How do you know how much
% cropped you performed in DPP I have looked around but cannot find ?

The way I look at it if you are testing out on sparrows anything bigger is going to look better ?

Attachments

• sparrowtest1.4kenko400bf.jpg
    sparrowtest1.4kenko400bf.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 172
There are 11 pins on the Kenko Pro 300 sure you are not trying to tape the wrong side :eek!:

Now I see. Tape the first 3 on the Kenko, but on the lens side, I am a
slow boy. The AF works OK, nearly as good as the 70-300mm on its own.
But no where as fast as the 400 on its own.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back