• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5D, best lens quest... (1 Viewer)

Kevin2

I've recently bought a 5D, and I also have a 70-200IS. However, I know I need a bit more reach. I had a 170-500 Sigma last summer for my Nikon, but I've sold it. While the photos were great, the focus was a bit slow THUS I missed plenty of action.

So, can I use a 1.4 TC with the 70-200IS and get any kind of results? Or, should I get the check book out and buy more mm's? Seems I've learned my lesson, so I'm pretty set on having a lens that focuses fast. So, what is out there that can get the job done BUT won't break the bank?

Thanks all, Kevin

Hi Kevin

Firstly yes the 1.4x tc will work with the 70-200 IS, how fast the Af is will depend on which version of the lens you're using (f4 or f2.8). If you are using the f2.8 then AF will still be fast with a 1.4x tc and the lens will still AF (though a bit slower) with a 2x tc.

If you want a lens with more reach the Canon 100-400 IS would be worth a look, it's got a good range, decent AF and is easy to use handheld (it aslo has IS which you are already familiar with). I was unsure about this lens, didn't like the idea of the push/pull zoom and was worried about IQ (some early reviews were quite critical). However since trying on in the hand I have been converted and recently got one myself and am very pleased with it. The other Canon lens to look at it the 400 f5.6 prime, again it has great AF and produces outstanding images, however it doesn't have IS (may or may not be an issue for you) and has a fairly limiting close focus (so you may need extension tubes).

Another option for more reach and good AF is the Sigma 50-500, again this is a very good lens (and a chunk cheaper than the Canon). The AF is fast and the lens feels good in the hand, though the lack of IS makes use of a tripod a bit more essential. If you take a look in the galllery you will see plenty of shots taken with his lens and both the Canons.

The only way to get even fast AF and better quality would be to go for one of the big primes, but these are silly money... so I'd avoid looking at or thinking about them, unless you can afford to be tempted!

Re. the big primes, I would recommend having a look at the discontinued Canon 500mm f4.5 and the Canon 300mm f2.8 (for use with TCs). They can both be picked up for reasonable prices these days - better buys than third party lenses IMO. Mifsuds currently has the 500mm.

J

seamons said:
Re. the big primes, I would recommend having a look at the discontinued Canon 500mm f4.5 and the Canon 300mm f2.8 (for use with TCs). They can both be picked up for reasonable prices these days - better buys than third party lenses IMO. Mifsuds currently has the 500mm.

J

The problem with these two (and a few other) old Canon primes is that they can no longer be repaired so if it went wrong you'd end up with a very expensive paperweight! As for being better buys that third party lens, I'd have to disagree. The Canon 500 f4.5 on mifsuds is £2295, you should be able to pick up a used Sigma 500 f4.5 for a little over half that... Personally I think there's little or nothing between these lenses.

Kevin2 said:
I've recently bought a 5D, and I also have a 70-200IS. However, I know I need a bit more reach. I had a 170-500 Sigma last summer for my Nikon, but I've sold it. While the photos were great, the focus was a bit slow THUS I missed plenty of action.

So, can I use a 1.4 TC with the 70-200IS and get any kind of results? Or, should I get the check book out and buy more mm's? Seems I've learned my lesson, so I'm pretty set on having a lens that focuses fast. So, what is out there that can get the job done BUT won't break the bank?

Thanks all, Kevin

I have a 20D which is quite different from a 5D. My experience is this.

I have a 70-200 IS 2.8 L and the use of the Canon 2x extender with that has been utterly disappointing. Soft images. I have no experience with a 1.4x.

I have also a Canon 400mm 5.6 prime and that is excellent. Fast and sharp. IS is not very important to me as I always use a tripod or a rice bag if I can.

HTH,
Louis

destombe said:
I have a 20D which is quite different from a 5D. My experience is this.

I have a 70-200 IS 2.8 L and the use of the Canon 2x extender with that has been utterly disappointing. Soft images. I have no experience with a 1.4x.

I have also a Canon 400mm 5.6 prime and that is excellent. Fast and sharp. IS is not very important to me as I always use a tripod or a rice bag if I can.

HTH,
Louis

Hi Louis, I am surprised that you have had soft images with the 2x and 70-200/2.8 IS. I have not had this problem with that lens or 500/4 IS, neither with my 20D or 1D2N on either lens - maybe you have a bad 2x convertor?
Cheers

Mark.

postcardcv said:
The problem with these two (and a few other) old Canon primes is that they can no longer be repaired so if it went wrong you'd end up with a very expensive paperweight! As for being better buys that third party lens, I'd have to disagree. The Canon 500 f4.5 on mifsuds is £2295, you should be able to pick up a used Sigma 500 f4.5 for a little over half that... Personally I think there's little or nothing between these lenses.

That is true, but that's why everyone should have insurance!! The Canon lenses are also built like tanks and faults are quite rare.

Re the pricing, Fixation recently sold the Canon 500mm f4.5 for less than £1700. I know what I would rather have for that money! The Canon lenses also hold their value better.

I am not bagging the Sigma 500mm - I have heard it's quite good, but I havent used it so I can't compare.

seamons said:
That is true, but that's why everyone should have insurance!! The Canon lenses are also built like tanks and faults are quite rare.

Re the pricing, Fixation recently sold the Canon 500mm f4.5 for less than £1700. I know what I would rather have for that money! The Canon lenses also hold their value better.

I am not bagging the Sigma 500mm - I have heard it's quite good, but I havent used it so I can't compare.

I know what you mean the Canon's are built to last, but if the focus motor the like packed up you'd be stuck and I doubt insurance would pay out if the lens developed a fault.

As for holding value, I bought a secondhand Sigma 500 f4.5 about 21 months ago and recently (trying to tempt myself to a big Canon) look into trading it in. Amazingly I would get back almost exactly what I paid for it. If you buy the Sigam new you loose a chunk of money straight off, but secondhand ones seem to hold value well.

I see you're not far from me, if you ever find yourself coming Norfolk way and want to have a play with the Sigma let me know...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back