• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70-200mm f2.8 EX DG Macro (1 Viewer)

solentbirder

70-200mm f2.8 EX DG Macro - Any users?

Anybody using this lens for general nature/wildlife photography? Any experiences good or bad?
Cheers
John

Last edited:
Will only say that I bought one, sold it after 3 months to go towards the Nikon 70-200vr and glad I made the swap

I have the earlier (non macro) version of the lens and really like it. I don't use it much for bird as 200mm is often far too short, but it is a great general purpose lens. It takes a 1.4x tc very well and is still very useable with a 2x, though you'll need to stop down a bit to get the best out of it with the 2x. If you want a good all-rounder which can be used for birds then this lens with tc's is definitely worth a look (it's great for portraits/candid shots). If your main aim is bird shots then the 100-300 f4 may be a better bet.

I have one of these which I use as a general purpose lens. It has good sharpness, colour and contrast, and a reasonably quick AF. As Peter says, it is really a bit short for birding, although I have used it with a 2X TC with some success.
For every day uses it is my first choice of lens. I have done side-by-side comparisons with the canon L series equivalent and didnt find that great a difference (certainly not enough to justify the massive price difference!). It isnt a lightweight lens for it's focal length, but I find it easy to handle.
I would agree with Peter's recommendation too - if you are after a lens for birding/non-close-up nature, then I would get something longer.

Thanks everyone. I was considering it as a general purpose lens rather than a dedicated bird lens. The fact it'll take a 2x convertor and still autofocus looks like a nice bonus.

Thanks everyone. I was considering it as a general purpose lens rather than a dedicated bird lens. The fact it'll take a 2x convertor and still autofocus looks like a nice bonus.

it is a very good general purpose lens - it might be worth looking for a secondhand non-macro version - it should be a lot cheaper and seems to get better reviews.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back