• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D mk2 - worthwhile upgrade? (5 Viewers)

Hi Hosesbroadbill!

If you hav a few minutes to spare - I'd be extremely grateful for a "menu-guide" how to set up the 7D2 the way you have. (Especially the AF-ON and AE-lock buttons) I just cant seem to figure out how to do that...

Kindly,
Eric

So sorry for the delay. I did not get any notice that there was an update to the thread. I'd be happy to help.

Go to Orange Menu
3rd tab
bottom says custom controls.
Also can go to the quick set up and pick the far right icon showing the camera and 3 lines.
once there go to the AF-ON
Hit the set button
Choose first option metering and af start
then hit info button and 4 other options show up
first I have set to manually selected
second I have set to case 2 with settings of -2, 0, 0 (set in other menu)
af operation set to AI SERVO
AF area set to zone (I go back and forth on this. Sometimes use center and 4 surrounding, sometimes use full zone and not sure which is best)
And that is it

The star button I have set to manual select, case 1, one shot and single point

The set button I have set for playback

The AF select lever is set for ISO.

All accessed from that menu

Only tricky part is knowing when to hit the info button.

Hope that helps. Any other questions let me know...

So sorry for the delay. I did not get any notice that there was an update to the thread. I'd be happy to help.

Go to Orange Menu
3rd tab
bottom says custom controls.
Also can go to the quick set up and pick the far right icon showing the camera and 3 lines.
once there go to the AF-ON
Hit the set button
Choose first option metering and af start
then hit info button and 4 other options show up
first I have set to manually selected
second I have set to case 2 with settings of -2, 0, 0 (set in other menu)
af operation set to AI SERVO
AF area set to zone (I go back and forth on this. Sometimes use center and 4 surrounding, sometimes use full zone and not sure which is best)
And that is it

The star button I have set to manual select, case 1, one shot and single point

The set button I have set for playback

The AF select lever is set for ISO.

All accessed from that menu

Only tricky part is knowing when to hit the info button.

Hope that helps. Any other questions let me know...

Lovely! Thanks a million! I got one of the 7D2-lemons, but got a new one right away from the dealer (even though Canon says camera is fine and within their tolerance. Thank god dealers are more concerned with customer retention than Canon...).

I'll try to have it set up that way!

Kindly,
Eric
Sweden

Lovely! Thanks a million! I got one of the 7D2-lemons, but got a new one right away from the dealer (even though Canon says camera is fine and within their tolerance. Thank god dealers are more concerned with customer retention than Canon...).

I'll try to have it set up that way!

Kindly,
Eric
Sweden

Should have mentioned that the joystick can be set in the same way from the custom controls menu so it can be adjusted on the fly.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back