• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7Dayshop 10x42 waterproofs (UK) - first impressions (1 Viewer)

You could try the email enquiry facility if you're interested. They've been out of stock before. Remember their first stock when Alan Rymer first tried 'em were £29. They disappeared for a while then reappeared at reduced price (along with John Fleet's beloved 8x40 porros) suggesting they were selling off last stocks. They then appeared again with the 7dayshop labeling replacing the Eyetx.
Cheaper than many printer cartridges and much more fun to play with |=)|

Thanks all. I have emailed them to ask about the possibility of restocking. I will post anything of interest on reciept.

Well top marks for 7day shop responce. Arrived 1 min before I sent the query :)

In case anyone else is interested:-

Your post - 12/05/2006 - 16:25
I hoped to buy a pair of your waterproof 10x50 binoculars for £17.99.
Will you be getting anymore in?
7dayshop reply - 12/05/2006 - 16:24
Yes we should be getting some more stock in the near future please check the website for updates.

7dayshop are actually now selling an even cheaper pair of 10x42 roofs - £9.49! The reviews on there are all very good - but could they be too cheap and cheerful?

Anyone willing to take the plunge and try them?

Hello again sammyboy.

While waiting for them to get more of the waterproof 8x40's in, I have just ordered a pair of the £9.49 10x42's. I am also awaiting delivery of Bushnell Trophy 8x42's bought from some auction site for £63 delivered. It will make an intesting comparison for anyone on a tight budget and I will post back with my findings.

rozinante said:
Hello again sammyboy.

While waiting for them to get more of the waterproof 8x40's in, I have just ordered a pair of the £9.49 10x42's. I am also awaiting delivery of Bushnell Trophy 8x42's bought from some auction site for £63 delivered. It will make an intesting comparison for anyone on a tight budget and I will post back with my findings.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what you make of the budget and ultra-budget pairs of bins!

Out of stock for 3-4 months

Intrigued by this thread I contacted 7 Dayshop.com to purchase a pair of these,but unfortunately I have had an email back saying that they will not be back in stock for 3-4 months.

They are NOT that good

I have a pair and although they have a brightish image and fair eye relief, and are OK for looking at pigeons on chimneys, they are HOPELESS for birding in most normal habitats. The depth of field is so incredibly shallow that if you focus on a bird in a bush or tree, although the bird itself is in focus, the surrounding foliage is not - so it feels weird and horrible if you are used to good binoculars. Furthermore you CONSTANTLY have to refocus for the tiniest movement of a bird backwards or forwards. It is a very strange and frustrating experience.

Nevertheless, these bins are worth the price for the rain guard alone, which is better than Leica's (which would probably cost as much as these bins to replace). And the ergonomics and weight are superb.

But serious birding bins (or even as a reasonable stand in)? Forget it.

Sean

seanofford said:
I have a pair and although they have a brightish image and fair eye relief, and are OK for looking at pigeons on chimneys, they are HOPELESS for birding in most normal habitats. The depth of field is so incredibly shallow that if you focus on a bird in a bush or tree, although the bird itself is in focus, the surrounding foliage is not - so it feels weird and horrible if you are used to good binoculars. Furthermore you CONSTANTLY have to refocus for the tiniest movement of a bird backwards or forwards. It is a very strange and frustrating experience.

Nevertheless, these bins are worth the price for the rain guard alone, which is better than Leica's (which would probably cost as much as these bins to replace). And the ergonomics and weight are superb.

Sean
We bought a pair for a teenage nephew to start him off - for that, they're well worth every penny (and more); I'm not sure but I think your comments, overall, seem a little harsh at least in conclusion. They do work for general birding - undoubtedly.

I've just bought a pair. They are not like the earlier ones, as per original thread. The eye cups fold down, or not - they won't stay down for me. For a tenner, they're better than any other cheaper end binoculars (£50 or so) I've looked throught. Fairly good eye relief, fiddly focus on times, slight internal reflection? For £10 though...

Noah's dove said:
Intrigued by this thread I contacted 7 Dayshop.com to purchase a pair of these,but unfortunately I have had an email back saying that they will not be back in stock for 3-4 months.

I am still waiting on the availability of this bins, it is several months now.
Any news ?

seanofford said:

Sean
I have some like that. Save the strap and the rainguards, dispose of the bin when done. ;)

scampo said:
You'll never waste money buying Nikons, I'm sure. I think Warehouse Express still have Nikon Sporters at a bargain price - have you thought of those?

BUMP!

Bringing this up to date. Agree with Scampo - I purchased these and for £99 they are beautiful. The 7 day shop pairs went into the other half's car & kitchen.

These babies stay in my car.

Like most people I found the budget ones ok for a while, then tired of them. Rather heavy, poor close focus, rubber eyecup type kept "snapping back" ( no good for specs wearers). Ok for kids, spares, car, shed etc.

I was gonna say or for those on a budget, but birding & budget don't go together - ou know the drill - save on the bins - more on the scope/camera/lens.

..but birding & budget don't go together
Yes and no. We had a teenager, maybe 12-13, ID most birds with a Tasco 7x porro before the Swarovski guys raised their binoculars, or pointed them right.

Ken Kaufman got his 600+ Big year birds with a department store, Sears, pair.

But you are right, no sense in making it hard for yourself. ;)

Last edited:
At the moment 7dayshop have 2 Binocular's that seem ok to me for a cheap keep in the car pair
1 is 10x42 and 1 is 12x50 does anyone know if one is better than the other as im not sure which one's i should get .
Rob.

I have been using a pair of these (10x42 Waterproof) for 3 years now. They are probably not as good as the more expensive ones but for the price they are superb and you are less bothered about damaging or losing them.

Unfortunately they are not available from 7day shop anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back