• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 in possession. Which one to add? (3 Viewers)

ReinierB

Netherlands
I already have the Trinovid 8x20. I like it, because it is so small and it is not the newest, so I do not have to pamper it.

I'd like to add a swarovski pocket bin and I like all three of them. Which one would be the most af an addition? Comfortable in use, quality and glare resistance are important, because the Trinovid doesn't shine in those aspects.

The Curio 7x21, because it is 7x and has 3mm exit pupil.
The CL 8x25, because it has the biggest exit pupil and I generally prefer 8x over 7x. I don't care for its size/weight because I already have the 8x20.
The CL 10x25, because I like higher magnifications. However, it has the same exit pupil of just 2.5mm.

It is a luxury problem, I know. But I still can't make up my mind. Which one shall shall I choose? I am sorry for bringing this up again.

Once I tried the Trinovid 8x20 in an optics shop and really impressed about the size and the optical quality of it. Another day in the same shop I tried CL 8x25 for a while and it didn’t make a good impression for me, especially the focus wheel. I own Curio and the pure optical quality of it impressed me the most among all my binoculars. I prefer the sparkling image of it over NL 8x42. However, all those are subjective thoughts of my own. My advice is to keep the trinovid and be happy unless you are going to use pocket binoculars a lot.

Last edited:
Let me make things even more complicated:

1. Get a Canon 8x20 IS. BIG for an 8x20. Not waterproof. Not really tough. But very good optics and an excellent stabiliser. And quite cheap. It would show you more detail than ANY other 8x20, 8x25 or even 8x30/32 in daylight.

2. If you really want a (shaky) 10x25, you might want to try to find a Nikon 10x25 HG-L. Fantastic build quality, excellent optics. Durable. Unfortunately discontinued AFAIK. All things considered to my mind still one of the very best 10x25s on the market.

Hermann

If you want Swarovski, I will go for 8x30 CL Companion. It is bigger than 8x25 but not by much, but it is worth the difference because it is much more comfortable than the 7x21, 8x25 or 10x25 versions. If you want another pair of binoculars, then at least the difference should be bigger than the 8x20 ;)

I don't see the point in adding a 25mm to a 20mm bino.
The difference is not enough.
I would be looking at 30mm or 32mm to see a noticeable difference.
Curio 7x21 is best for optical performance with the pocket binos, but overall, I choose an 8x20 Ultravid.
I had a CL 8x25, and changed to the 8x20, and added a Leica 8x32.
The 8x25 is too middle ground for my liking, as good as it is.

Last edited:
I already have the Trinovid 8x20. I like it, because it is so small and it is not the newest, so I do not have to pamper it.

I'd like to add a swarovski pocket bin and I like all three of them. Which one would be the most af an addition? Comfortable in use, quality and glare resistance are important, because the Trinovid doesn't shine in those aspects.

The CL 8x25, because it has the biggest exit pupil and I generally prefer 8x over 7x. I don't care for its size/weight because I already have the 8x20.
The CL 10x25, because I like higher magnifications. However, it has the same exit pupil of just 2.5mm.

It is a luxury problem, I know. But I still can't make up my mind. Which one shall shall I choose? I am sorry for bringing this up again.
I have a good friend who volunteers with me at our local nature reserve.
She has the Swarovski 10x25 CL binoculars and absolutely loves them.

But, in your position with the binoculars you already own, I would probably go with the Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion as mentioned by dorubird

But good luck with your choice

Reinier,

One thing not yet mentioned on this thread is the excellent glare resistance (at least to my eyes) of the Curio. Given the contenders on your list, I would tend toward the SW 10x25, although I have never had the opportunity to try one. To me, if someone wants two pockets it doesn't make as much sense to have two 8x even if one is a 20 and the other a 25mm. Second choice given what you say would be the Curio IMO for it's pocket class leading FoV and glare resistance. Without knowing how much experience you have with 7x, it takes some people a while, me included, to fully appreciate everything the 7x brings to the table, especially when paired with a similar bin of higher magnification when more x is what you want.

Good luck with the Quest.

Mike

I didn't find anything other than the 20mm (or 21mm in the Curio) to be pocketable.
25mm's are small for sure.... but not REALLY pocketable, which is why mine got sold.
Just 2 days ago, I sighted 2 peregrines on our town church spire..... and the Leica 8x20's were.....

In my pocket..... (but not for long);)..... just the job.

Last edited:
I love small binos because they are, quite literally, always with me. I have 3 as well as two larger (8x30 and 12x42- this forum is a terrible place for my wallet) and they all get used.

The Trinovid is the smallest. Although not waterproof, not as bright and a longer close focus, they are still a pleasure to use, especially when size is a prime driver. They are also the best built.

The Ultravid 8x20 is brighter, waterproof and reasonably well built - it used to be my go to small bino. It still gets used but not as often.

The Ultravid has been supplanted by the Curio - bright, steady, good FoV. I have to confess it was not love at first sight and it did take me a while to fully appreciate the benefits of 7x. It does go to show that just having a short period testing binos is not long enough to make a decision! Now I would not be without them.

Once I tried the Trinovid 8x20 in an optics shop and really impressed about the size and the optical quality of it. Another day in the same shop I tried CL 8x25 for a while and it didn’t make a good impression for me, especially the focus wheel. I own Curio and the pure optical quality of it impressed me the most among all my binoculars. I prefer the sparkling image of it over NL 8x42. However, all those are subjective thoughts of my own. My advice is to keep the trinovid and be happy unless you are going to use pocket binoculars a lot.
I do use my trinovid 8x20 a lot, because it is always with me. So it is good having at least one 20/21mm pocket bin for in the pocket.
For that purpose the trinovid serves fine. The ultravid would be better, but it is not the image quality that needs improvement, it is the comfort. So swapping the trinovod for a curio or just add the curio could be an option. The trinovid for rougher use (on the beach or in the pocket of my trousers/shorts and on bright days when hih like higer magnifications) and the curio for the other cases...

If you want Swarovski, I will go for 8x30 CL Companion. It is bigger than 8x25 but not by much, but it is worth the difference because it is much more comfortable than the 7x21, 8x25 or 10x25 versions. If you want another pair of binoculars, then at least the difference should be bigger than the 8x20 ;)

I have been thinking about the Habicht 8x30 instead of the CL 8x30, but I am still concerned about this stiff focuser.
What I like about the CL 25's, is that it is possible to put in the pocket of my jacket, although it is quite heavy.

Without knowing how much experience you have with 7x, it takes some people a while, me included, to fully appreciate everything the 7x brings to the table, especially when paired with a similar bin of higher magnification when more x is what you want.
I have no experience with 7x. The only contenders for 7x are the 7x21 (as small as possible but still comfortable in use) and the Habicht 7x42 (for the exit pupil of 6mm and use during night.)
The attraction of 7x must be the bigger DOF and stability.

I love small binos because they are, quite literally, always with me. I have 3 as well as two larger (8x30 and 12x42- this forum is a terrible place for my wallet) and they all get used.

The Trinovid is the smallest. Although not waterproof, not as bright and a longer close focus, they are still a pleasure to use, especially when size is a prime driver. They are also the best built.

The Ultravid 8x20 is brighter, waterproof and reasonably well built - it used to be my go to small bino. It still gets used but not as often.

The Ultravid has been supplanted by the Curio - bright, steady, good FoV. I have to confess it was not love at first sight and it did take me a while to fully appreciate the benefits of 7x. It does go to show that just having a short period testing binos is not long enough to make a decision! Now I would not be without them.

So when do you use the trinovid 8x20?
The ultravid is better in alsmost every aspect. Maybe just a tad heavier/larger.

Do you sometimes have two of them with you? In one pocket the Curio and the other one a 8x20? Or doesn't that make a lot of sense? :)

Last edited:
Do you sometimes have two of them with you? In one pocket the Curio and the other one a 8x20? Or doesn't that make a lot of sense? :)

That would be too much even for me! :)

I use the Trinovid when size is paramount. So if no sufficiently sized pockets and belt not an option, for concerts and theatre, when I have to be reasonably smart. Yes, the Ultravid is better optically and is waterproof but it is noticeably bigger and heavier. The Trinovid feels better in the hands.

I keep getting this burning desire to go even snmaller with a Nikon Mikron. But I have resisted the siren call so far. :oops:

The only one that makes any sense is the 10x25 - the others are too close to the 8x20. But it would fun to have them anyway! Might as well just admit it :) I'd probably go with the Curio just for something a little different. Not sure I would want 10x in a tiny pocket bino.

Anything below a 8x30 is too much of a compromise for me to enjoy using much.

Fiddly handling and small exit pupil's are both off putting but I've found traditional dual hinged pockets also go out of collimation for fun if I actually have them on me all the time including on site at work.

Having said that I have tried all the binoculars mentioned and settled on a set of trinovid 8x20's to try out as an all day carry, it's not going well - they're off with leica getting collimated....

I don't see much point in paying for waterproofing on pocket binocular as you can put them in your pocket when it rains. The cl's are quite big and the ultravid and curio are quite expensive and don't seem as well armoured or as robustly constructed as the trinovids.

I think you probably already have one of the better compromises of the genre.

The only one that makes any sense is the 10x25 - the others are too close to the 8x20. But it would fun to have them anyway! Might as well just admit it :) I'd probably go with the Curio just for something a little different. Not sure I would want 10x in a tiny pocket bino.
Agreed. I’ve got the Trinovid 8x20 and although the Curio is awesome, I’d go for the Swaro 10x25 to complement them. I was really impressed when I tried them recently.

I have the 8x20 Trinovid and the CL 10x25 and in my opinion it’s a big difference between them. I use the Trinovid for daily use when working in the forest and the CL when I’m hunting or other situations when I want to see more details.
Someone mentioned the habicht 8x30, I also have a pair of that, it’s a wonderful binoculars, not so heavy but the size is way more bulky than the CL 8/10x25 so I don’t use it so often.

I understand that 25mm compacts can be considered as being in the "dead zone", or what to call it.
While 25mm size is better in the hand than 20mm you don't get a comfortable hold anyway.
Still it in some cases is just a bit too big to fit in a pocket in which a 20mm fits.
Pocket binos are just for pocket portability and will never provide the viewing or holding comfort as bigger glasses.
So then it can be better to choose 20mm pocket and the next step up a 30/32mm.

That would be too much even for me! :)

I use the Trinovid when size is paramount. So if no sufficiently sized pockets and belt not an option, for concerts and theatre, when I have to be reasonably smart. Yes, the Ultravid is better optically and is waterproof but it is noticeably bigger and heavier. The Trinovid feels better in the hands.

I keep getting this burning desire to go even snmaller with a Nikon Mikron. But I have resisted the siren call so far. :oops:
I didn't know the size/weight difference was noticable between the trinovid 8x20 and the ultravid 8x20. And if you compare the ultravid 8x20 with the curio 7x21? Which one is is bigger/heavier? Or are they comparable?
Do you use any rainguard/caps/strap on the trinovid? Or do you just put them in your pocket?

Thanks for you reply! Good to get some comments from somebody who actually has the binos and can compare them.
You want smaller than the trinovid 8x20? I can imagine, if you want to use them in theatre. For my the trinovid 8x20 is the smallest I want. I can image I want to add this curio, because it is more comfortable in use... I use them all for bird watching and than comfort does count a bit more I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back