• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 CL Object Lens Query (1 Viewer)

nantycoy

Hi. First post for many a year! I have just taken delivery of a new pair of Swarovski 8x30 CLs to replace my aging (17 years old but still brilliant) Nikon HGs as I wanted something much lighter.

So far so good. Optically they are on a par with the HGs but sharper across more of the field. But (there had to be one!)...

the outer anti-reflective coatings of the object lenses differ - the left is a deep green and the right a thin red. All the illustrations I see for this bino show the green version.

Has anyone come across this or have any suggestions as to why? My suspicion is a repair or renovations but... ?

I can only think the objective lens came from differet batches, one of which may have had an improved coating. If the view is through them works for you then fine. However if that coating colour is going to annoy you and trouble you, then perhaps exchange them. I tend to think the latter as it is a sufficient worry to cause you to post. One thing though, were they advertised as new or second hand?

Good luck.

Thanks Pat - they are from a Swarovski dealer - new - full price. It does bother me some so I'll ask them for an exchange on Monday.
Chris

Thanks Pat - they are from a Swarovski dealer - new - full price. It does bother me some so I'll ask them for an exchange on Monday.
Chris

Good luck, might be worth asking them to check the new pair before shipping out to you, unless you're going in person.

ATB

In the end the CLs are being sent back to the dealer for return to Swarovski and I bought a pair of 8x32 EL SV instead! At least both lenses on these have the same anti-reflective coatings!

Last edited:
In the end the CLs are being sent back to the dealer for return to Swarovski and I bought a pair of 8x32 EL SV instead! At least both lenses on these have the same anti-reflective coatings!

I think you did the right thing, you ended up with a better binocular.

As far as coatings go, I have another angle, my eyes see colors differently,
one eye sees reds much brighter than the other.

I will not send them in, I just enjoy the view however it turns out. :smoke:

Jerry

Dopn't they remind you of something you have seen before at the cinema?

Youe CL is obviously the new Swarovski 3D bino-viewer to replace the earlier versions that look like spectacles below.

Lee

Attachments

• index (3).jpg
    index (3).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 6
Quite an interesting thing to see. Perhaps lenses from different batches and it either was missed in production/QC or was deemed totally acceptable.

What color do the newest Swaros reflect? My ~8 yr old ELSV’s reflect green, so perhaps newer Swsro coatings are red?

Perhaps one miscoated lens made it through QC and out the door?

The objective lenses of the new 8x32 EL SV Field Pro I got as a replacement are both red (production code 2020, week 26, so pretty much the latest incarnation). However, the eyepiece lenses (both red coatings) do differ in the strength of colour and no, it's not my eyes, they stay the same when rotated 180' (the binos, not my eyes!)! :-O

Hi,

Probably from different batches.

To coat the lenses a number of different elements are vaporised at temperature.

A fraction of a degree difference in temperature or a microgram more or less of a certain element will result in a colour change.

It will not affect the image or the performance.

Gary.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back