• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 Optika or 8x42 Meopro Air? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a (first!) pair of binoculars. My use cases are: general purpose, hiking, landscape viewing/mountains, train spotting, casual night time viewing. I think 8x42 would be the best for this, but open to suggestions based on your experience. I wear glasses but they are not necessary for me 24/7. I've found that Meopta is available for a good price in my country so would like to pick something from them. I am stuck between the Optika and the Meopro AIR HDs, is the AIR a large improvement over the Optika to justify the price tag?

Here are the choices and price tags

• Meopta Optika 8x42 (279 EUR)
  • Meopta Meopro AIR HD 8x42 (599 EUR)
  • Meopta Meopro 8x42 HD - 2017 version (499 EUR)
  • Meopro 8x56 HD+ (520 EUR)

From what I saw, the price of the AIRs is really good, but not sure if the additional features would be worth it. What are your thoughts?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a (first!) pair of binoculars. My use cases are: general purpose, hiking, landscape viewing/mountains, train spotting, casual night time viewing. I think 8x42 would be the best for this, but open to suggestions based on your experience. I wear glasses but they are not necessary for me 24/7. I've found that Meopta is available for a good price in my country so would like to pick something from them. I am stuck between the Optika and the Meopro AIR HDs, is the AIR a large improvement over the Optika to justify the price tag?

From what I saw, the price of the AIRs is really good, but not sure if the additional features would be worth it. What are your thoughts?
For a first bino for your general purposes I’d stay with the 42 format. I’d go with the Meopro Air HD.

If the internet is to be believed - the Optika is outsourced (quality control in-house) and the Air HD does at least have Meopta glass in it (the body and mechanics are probably from a third party if I interpret the description on the Meopta website correctly).
That being said, I have read good things about the Optika, just be aware that it is not really made by Meopta.

Hi all,

Re the Optika and the MeoPro Air, I can only talk about the 10x42 versions, the MeoPro I have both in 8x42 and 10x42. I don‘t know the MeoPro 8x56.

The Air is clearly superior than the Optika, so the price difference is justified in my view.

See my further remarks on the first three models in your list here:

Canip

If the internet is to be believed - the Optika is outsourced (quality control in-house) and the Air HD does at least have Meopta glass in it (the body and mechanics are probably from a third party if I interpret the description on the Meopta website correctly).
That being said, I have read good things about the Optika, just be aware that it is not really made by Meopta.
It is made by Meopta.

The description of the "Air" on the Meopta homepage states "European Optics", which probably means the body is not made by Meopta. The "Optika" doesn't mention at all where parts are sourced. But the low price makes it highly doubtful that any part of that model is made in Europe. But please -- I'd be happily surprised if you can cite any sources for that. If they are in fact made by Meopta, meaning -- coatings, grinding of the lenses and the body of the binos -- then they would be a steal and probably the cheapest, European made, roof prism bino with a magnesium body that I ever saw.
Optics-trade.eu (which granted is not the most reliable source) states they are outsourced to Asia, probably Philippines (where the Sightrons and some Fujinons are made and those are pretty good). And I think someone once linked an interview with a meopta representative in which they said where the models is made but I cannot find the link or post anymore.

Found the interview. It was mentioning the "Air" and stated that it used "outsourced parts" and was assembled in the Czech Republic. Considering that the "Optika" costs less than half, it's anyone's guess how much is "outsourced" on that model.

Edit: I also found my 2nd source for the statement that the Optika HD is not made by Meopta.

Last edited:
Re the Optika and the MeoPro Air, I can only talk about the 10x42 versions, the MeoPro I have both in 8x42 and 10x42. I don‘t know the MeoPro 8x56.

The Air is clearly superior than the Optika, so the price difference is justified in my view.

See my further remarks on the first three models in your list here:

Canip
Hello Canip, I might need an intermediary from here to help prove I am who I say I am and help me sell my Meopta MeoPro 8 x 42 HD binoculars. Someone to vouch for me I guess. They said so in the comments on my ad that I made today. So I was wondering if you may help me because of how you have written an article on the brand and style of binoculars which I have for sale. Here is my ad: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/meopta-meopro-8-x-42-hd-for-sale-600.438048/#post-4451809

I read that Meopta meopro air 8x42 hd has a claimed eye relief of 22mm. And that with 64deg AFOV. That hardly can be correct. Or?
But it would be required for use with eyeglasses I think because at the few pictures I have seen it looks like the eye lens is a bit unnecessary recessed from the eyecup edge.

I recently purchased the Meopta Optika HD 8x42 binoculars. They are very clear and bright in my guesstimate of a 60% “sweet spot”. The rest of the view on the edges was fuzzy and with the eye cups fully extended, the FOV appears smaller than listed. The Opticron Oregon 8x42’s I just bought are better in my opinion at half the price. The Optika might have been a customer return and a one off. I have two Meopta Meopro scopes and they are top notch. Needless to say, the Optika is going back.

The previous Meopro models were likely fitted with better glass than the Optika, their cost reflects this.
You’re right. I purchased and returned the Optika 8x42’s. They had a very small sweet spot and the edges weren’t very clear. After reading all the positive reviews, I was pretty disappointed with the Optikas. My Meopro scopes have much better glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back