• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A belated colour ringed Sanderling from Caleta de Fuste, Fuerteventura 10th March ‘23. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Might be of interest to Sanderling ringers using these coloured rings, presume rung on breeding grounds?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
I can't see where the metal ring is positioned from this, which makes me think it's not going to be useable. If you think you have the full sequence and colour when downloaded you can generally report it online and get an immediate life history with Sanderlings.

I can't see where the metal ring is positioned from this, which makes me think it's not going to be useable. If you think you have the full sequence and colour when downloaded you can generally report it online and get an immediate life history with Sanderlings.
To my eye these 4 rings look plastic and the colour sequencing for each leg should correspond to a ringing scheme.
A few years back locally, I found a (juv) September Stonechat, with 4 coloured rings, sent the image to the BTO and discovered that it was a “bird of the year” first rung as a pulli at Thetford, Norfolk some 90 miles away to the North East.

To my eye these 4 rings look plastic and the colour sequencing for each leg should correspond to a ringing scheme.
A few years back locally, I found a (juv) September Stonechat, with 4 coloured rings, sent the image to the BTO and discovered that it was a “bird of the year” first rung as a pulli at Thetford, Norfolk some 90 miles away to the North East.
If you can't see a metal ring on the downloaded images I don't think you can be confident all the colour rings are visible either.

The four rings GY - YB don't fit any of the three schemes on the cr-birding.org website but there will be plenty of other schemes if you check the Wader Study Group list.

See what the image looks like when you've downloaded it and, perhaps, sharpened it? But without knowing whether you have all the rings, including the position of the metal ring, in shot you may not be able to find out where it was ringed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back