• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A comparison of prism types, and why the Schmidt Pechan seems to have won the premium binoculars (2 Viewers)

downgraded to plastic housing.
Downgraded I don't think so. Fibre Glass reinforced Polymer is not a downgrade and the body of the Zeiss fl's has stood the test of time.
Peter.
Absolutely - everything that I have read suggests this. And don't many of Zeiss's current binoculars have such a construction?

Playing with an SFL 8x40 this week, the prism configuration is conventional SP, pechan first, and a single baffle between the two prism halves.

So within the Zeiss Victory range, there are 4 prism configurations:

Pechan first SP with single internal baffle - SFL40, VP25, and presumably SFL30
Pechan first SP with double internal baffles - SF32
Schmidt first SP - SF42
AK - HT56

Last edited:
Kimmik, 2 questions:
1. How are you able to determine this construction? Can you tell from outside exam or did you take apart? Just curious.
2. re "presumably SFL30,VP25" can we/are we guessing the VPs and SFLs are made at same Japanese Factory?

Thanks
T

Hi Tom:

1. By looking at the prism through the objective side, then from the eyepiece side, with the help of a flashlight. If you look up prism tunnel diagrams, then compare with your bino, it will make more sense.
2. The VP25 prism I have confirmation, only the SF30 I haven't seen yet. Interesting thought maybe they are made at the same factory, pure speculation though.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back