• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A cordiality of gulls and crows (a new collective noun) (1 Viewer)

mycopsycho

among other things
I've long been interested in the intelligence of corvids, often taking time out to watch them watching you watching them and all that. Highlights include watching a posse of 20 odd choughs comming in to roost in an open sided barn. 3 or 4 birds then proceeded to indulge in some sort of acrobatic sport akin to windsurfing & skateboarding. They would take it in turns (most of the time) to ride the eddies an updrafts the barn afforded them in a stiff northerly, looping & shearing masterfully.
Another occaision when the air of competition was palpable involved 2 ravens racing each other over some sitka plantation forestry. Not that remarkable I know, until they went overhead a third time in about 5 mins the leader still taunting his pal(?) & I realised they were doing a circuit. Furthermore this folowed the forestry track below them for the complete circuit! ( about 3km )
Today however was something different, not sure what I saw! I'll describe it & you tell me what you think.
My flat window overlooks Portree bay on the Isle of Skye (Scotland). It was low tide & 100 mixed gulls & a similar number of corvids (mostly jackdaws) were busy foraging side by side as usual. Suddenly a single common gull plummeted from about 300ft vertically to pull up just before impact & manicly shear horizontally like a shearwater or fulmar. after a couple of seconds it was joined by 3 more common gulls & 7 or 8 jackdaws all performing (as best they could anyway) the same stylized switchbacking flight. nearby gulls and crows didn't flinch incase your wondering & no food was being chased. the whole thing seemed oddly choreographed. This went on for nearly 1 minute. Culture?

Last edited:
I once cared for two young ravens from a week before fledging until they were a year or so old. They were never confined, but roosted in a small tree in our back yard and could come and go as they pleased. I fed them once a day with bread and lunchmeat and they seemed extremely healthy. They apparently found any other food they needed that was lacking in the diet I fed them.

I was a USAF pilot stationed in New Mexico, USA and lived on the airbase family housing, so the ravens were protected from hunters and harm by other humans by a friendly neighborhood that enjoyed their presence in our midst. They had a great old time playing in the yard sprinklers and making mock dive-bomb attacks on neighborhood dogs.

They usually hung around near our home and would fly in and perch on our yard fence to be fed when I yelled for them. I was astonished at their intelligence and their playful antics. Once, when my family went on holiday for a week, I introduced them to our across the street neighbor and let him feed them and hear his voice. When I returned from holiday my neighbor said they always came to be fed when he called them. Learning to socialize with a stranger after one introduction and come when called said to me that they were pretty smart birds. I will always remember those two ravens with fond affection.

Last edited:
Edit: With hindsight, I realize that it was a mistake to socialize these birds with humans, but I was young. Even after leaving that airbase for a new assignment, I got reports from friends that the ravens were doing well and still lived around their neighborhood.

The fact that they seem to be getting on fine after you left shows how adaptable they are. I read recently that they recognise individual human faces & will watch to see where your looking by following your line of sight. I do like to stop & stare at one, instantly causing them to behave nervously as you've broke with normal human behavior. Then watch them relax & dismiss you as a threat in a few seconds, great fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back